Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
May 17, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #3,527 of 6,563
May 18, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #3,531 of 6,563
200 hours on the stock tubes, and I really love this heavy hunk of mettle.

When I first got it out of the box 2 weeks ago, the bass was pretty loose. Attack and snap were not up to what I am used too with solid state.

Both started to tighten up and started getting better around 50 hours in. Now at 200 hours in bass, attack and snap are very good. I don't believe in burn in on solid state gear, but tubes, yeah burn in is real.

This is giving me just what I want out of tube amp. Just a little bit of warmth, that little bit of color along with that holographic soundstage I would expect from a tube amp.

What is the most impressive is the body and weight behind every note. For example, there was an anime from the 90s called Giant Robo the Animation. It was 7 episodes, and each episode had its own soundtrack. I was big into anime then and drove to Japan town and purchased all the CDs in the 90s. When I listened to them it was so disappointing. All the music sounded flat. There was no weight to any of the music.

Every amp and DAC I have purchased (even the Bliss) all 7 of those CDs (all converted to flac now) fell flat. Well, that changed with this amp. There was now body and weight to everything, and I felt a sense of urgency you get when listening to a powerful soundtrack and you close your eyes, and you can see the action from the film unfold. I actually laid back and listened to all 7 CDs again because they finally sounded like I always wanted them too.

This does have its drawbacks on some albums. The exact opposite is Metallica S&M and S&M 2. There was too much body and weight, and I prefer those 2 albums on solid state.

I've come to love the HD-800s on this amp, as well as the Atrium. The one set of cans that really impressed me on this amp is the DCA Expanse. The Expanse really shines on this amp, and I can't imagine listening to them on anything other than the 300MKII.

So now the tube rolling journey begins.

I purchased NOS GE coin base 22DE4s for the power supply. I also purchased NOS Sylvania 6SN7 GTA NOS tall glass platinum. I also want to try the Psvane CV181-T MKII.

As for the 300Bs, I am thinking of getting a more inexpensive pair like the Shuguang 300BCs to have something to compare to a more expensive pair.

The 300Bs that I find very interesting right now are the PSVane Acme 300Bs, because of the mid-range performance. All the reviews I've read all say the same thing, that they have great mid-range.

The 300Bs are going to make this tube rolling journey expensive, but this thing is like a muscle car, and I didn't buy my Dodge Challenger Hemi to save on gas.

May 18, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #3,532 of 6,563
Wow those look crazy. How would you describe their sound? Rich / Neutral / Detailed? I'm searching for some options to add some meat into the mid-bass.

Also, what are those adapters you need for the Mickey Mouse ears? I'm assuming you can't just plug these things into the 6sn7 socket?
You need 7193/CV6 to 6SN7 adapters, which you can find on eBay from "Mrs. X" for about $35 each, or @Deyan can build them for you. Be sure you're connecting the correct lead to the correct post. "A" wire goes too there anode side, "G" wire goes to the grid.

To me, they very definitely add bass, filling in the low end. Almost a bit too heavy, but if bass is your thing you'd probably enjoy them.

May 18, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #3,533 of 6,563
Would the HD800S and the HE1000v2 stealth work well with the HA300? I listen mostly to classic rock and blues. Thanks for the advice from experienced owners!

May 18, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #3,534 of 6,563
Wow those look crazy. How would you describe their sound? Rich / Neutral / Detailed? I'm searching for some options to add some meat into the mid-bass.
Take a look at the Mullard CV6/VR135 with adapters. The mid-bass is insane! My amp hits so hard and full it's incredible and you can literally feel it. They have it all, detail, texture, layering, and impact with note weight that will blow your mind, and mids to die for.

This tube takes the amp to another level.

May 18, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #3,535 of 6,563
Would the HD800S and the HE1000v2 stealth work well with the HA300? I listen mostly to classic rock and blues. Thanks for the advice from experienced owners!
This amp will work well with any headphone out there. I have not heard those two headphones, but I will say every headphone I have plugged into the HA300mk2 sounds it's very best.

You can tube roll for fine tuning, and you can really dial it in for any sound sig you want. I have made this amp sound like a killer SS amp, and I have also made it sound bloomy and warm, depending on the tubes I used.

For a commercially available tube amp, it's hard to beat this one. . .

May 18, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #3,536 of 6,563
This amp will work well with any headphone out there. I have not heard those two headphones, but I will say every headphone I have plugged into the HA300mk2 sounds it's very best.

You can tube roll for fine tuning, and you can really dial it in for any sound sig you want. I have made this amp sound like a killer SS amp, and I have also made it sound bloomy and warm, depending on the tubes I used.

For a commercially available tube amp, it's hard to beat this one. . .
Drives all my phones but you know the one I haven't tried. . the HE6. I will try it today.

May 18, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #3,537 of 6,563
This tube is absolutely fantastic in the HA300MK2 folks. I really still can't believe what this tube can do for this amp. :astonished: The impact, texture and layering are all through the roof and there is a high sense of realism in the mids. The vocals are incredibly lifelike and it's as if they are right there in front of me. The way this tube does layering and separation of the images with an insane amount of detail but never sounding harsh, really lets me visualize the performers as if I was there.

20230518_075218.jpg

Back to the music. . .

May 18, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #3,538 of 6,563
Ok be gentle with the tube newbie here but are the 22DE4s supposed to make much of a difference in the sound of the amp?

I thought rectifier tubes were not supposed to make a difference. I mainly got them to have spares because they seemed a little hard to find on all the various tube stores online.

I got the GEs in, and I hear a difference. Everything sounds cleaner with more detail.

Before putting the GEs in I listened to the unit with the RCAs. Let the tubes cool down, then swapped and let the amp warm up for 30min. Obviously doing this makes it impossible to A/B test.

Still, I am perceiving a cleaner and more detailed sound.

Kinda wondering if it's all in my head.

May 18, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #3,539 of 6,563
Ok be gentle with the tube newbie here but are the 22DE4s supposed to make much of a difference in the sound of the amp?

I thought rectifier tubes were not supposed to make a difference. I mainly got them to have spares because they seemed a little hard to find on all the various tube stores online.

I got the GEs in, and I hear a difference. Everything sounds cleaner with more detail.

Before putting the GEs in I listened to the unit with the RCAs. Let the tubes cool down, then swapped and let the amp warm up for 30min. Obviously doing this makes it impossible to A/B test.

Still, I am perceiving a cleaner and more detailed sound.

Kinda wondering if it's all in my head.
Your are spot on with what you said about the GE's, and it's definitely not in your head. :wink: Rectifiers make difference, and I think they have a big impact on staging and bass the most. Just throwing this out there, the rectifiers don't have to be match so you can blend brands. I run a pair of Sicte in the back 2 slots, and a pair of Japanese made Black Plates in the front 2 slots, and I think it sounds better than any of the brands (I have them all) run as quads. The GE are really clean, with tight bass, but can be a bit too forward and thin for my preferences, but they do sound killer blended with a warmer pair like RCA, or Sylvania.

Welcome to the club!

May 18, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #3,540 of 6,563
Your are spot on with what you said about the GE's, and it's definitely not in your head. :wink: Rectifiers make difference, and I think they have a big impact on staging and bass the most. Just throwing this out there, the rectifiers don't have to be match so you can blend brands. I run a pair of Sicte in the back 2 slots, and a pair of Japanese made Black Plates in the front 2 slots, and I think it sounds better than any of the brands (I have them all) run as quads. The GE are really clean, with tight bass, but can be a bit too forward and thin for my preferences, but they do sound killer blended with a warmer pair like RCA, or Sylvania.

Welcome to the club!
Thanks, I saw a pair of Sylvanias on EBay. I have to go back and look at the seller rating.

Edit: bummer UK buyer only on those.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back