Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
May 12, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #3,511 of 6,563
Just throwing this out there, and some tube amps respond differently to external factors, and what worked for one may not work for another. For instance, my router was on the ground in the room next to me, and did not mess with my previous tube amps, but was causing white noise/intermittent static in the right channel with my HA300MK2 until I moved it to a higher location. I would check everything possible, and even stuff that did not cause issues with your other amps.

I had to really hunt it down, and never would have guessed my router in a completely different room would be an issue. Now that the router has been moved I am noise free and loving every second.

Good luck and I suggest reading through this thread a bit, to learn what has and hasn't worked for others.
thank you wes.

i have also tried:
1. turning my router off, my pc, everything i could think of.

and also i have found out that the white noise is much louder in the left channel than in the right. i think this could help a more experienced tube guy diagnose this issue for me.

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #3,512 of 6,563
So, I spent all night listening with my GEC Shaw CV6, and they still haven't let up. The seperation and space between each fully fleshed out instrument is incredible and with each one floating in it's own space I can mentally visualize them as if I was there hearing it live. There is so much micro detail and nuance coming through, and combined with that seperation and air, and holographic staging, I can almost see the expression on the musicians faces as they are playing there hearts out. I have never been able to visualize the artist as if I was there like this before, and I feel like I have cracked the code from artificial to reality. . . :astonished:

This tube is flat out insane, and it's not a subtle change at all! It seriously sounds like I upgraded my amp.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #3,513 of 6,563
I ordered a quad set GEC and it turned out to be the Mullard version but it's still quite good.
Now the Cossor 6C5G is super nice, barely 15 minutes after firing it up and already hearing it characteristics and I'm liking it.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #3,514 of 6,563
Speaking of the Mullard. . .

20230513_184457.jpg

I just rolled one of my quads of Mitcham made CV6 back in after using the GEC Shaw CV6 for a week, and they are definitely more mid focused compared to the GEC. The Mullard have really nice middbass punch and texture with a very unique concert hall-like/holographic staging and absolutely gorgeous tone/timbre and vocals to die for. Bluegrass, Folk and Acoustic Guitar sound fantastic and just so natural and right with this tube. The Mullard Mitcham CV6 truly has magical mids, that are big, fat and juicy with a harmonic richness and euphonic texture you can literally feel and it's as if you can reach out and touch the notes as they decay floating around and away from your head.

The GEC is technically better, with a tighter more balanced sound, with much better speed, extension on both ends and transparency. I think most would prefer the GEC over the Mullard, however the Mullard are still better than any 6SN7 by a long shot and are fantastic in their own right. With the right music and system pairing/synergy, they are such a fun and highly immersive and engaging experience.

I love this tube type so much, and it has elevated my system and listening experience so much, that I am so content I am going to lay low from the forum for a while and just enjoy the music. It's so easy to get caught up in gear talk and the next best thing and constantly researching and buying/upgrading, that I can loose track of what this is all about for me. Music is my escape and keeps me sane, and the better and the more realistic/musical it sounds, the more I get engaged and the further I am able to escape from reality.

I have found my perfect tubes, and have secured several backups of each one and life is good. I will be able to enjoy this sound for many years to come, and it's so nice not worrying about finding or affording those lesser souding yet much more expensive and rare 6SN7, 6H8C, 1587 tubes anymore. :grin:

Happy Hunting, Rolling, and Listening!

Back to musical bliss. . .

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #3,515 of 6,563
I ordered a quad set GEC and it turned out to be the Mullard version but it's still quite good.
Now the Cossor 6C5G is super nice, barely 15 minutes after firing it up and already hearing it characteristics and I'm liking it.
If you haven't already, I would be sure to burn them (Mullard CV6) in for a good 50-60 hours before really forming an opinion. This tube type (CV6) has one of the more drastic burn in cycles I have encountered with tubes so far. They can sound quite a bit forward, too warm and somewhat closed in at first, and it actually is quite shocking how much they open up and quiet down with some burn-in. Speaking of quieting down, the pair of Mullard Mitcham CV6 that I am running right now, are fully burned-in and are so quiet, l can barely tell the amp is on between songs or when I press pause. This is the quietest pair of driver tubes I have had in the amp, and this is the quietest the background has ever been as well. Talk about a black background, and for a high powered 300B tube amp to be this quiet it's incredibe. :astonished:

I have heard great things about that Cossor 6C6G (that I assume you got from Langrex), and it's awesome how many different affordable "adapter" tubes you can roll that easily best any 6SN7.

Cheers!

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #3,516 of 6,563
I am so content I am going to lay low from the forum for a while and just enjoy the music.
Very wise statement. Always enjoyed your sharing of tubes experimentation. Think you are already at the summit as far as gear and tubes are concerned.

Enjoy the music !

May 13, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #3,517 of 6,563
Speaking of the Mullard. . .

I just rolled one of my quads of Mitcham made CV6 back in after using the GEC Shaw CV6 for a week, and they are definitely more mid focused compared to the GEC. The Mullard have really nice middbass punch and texture with a very unique concert hall-like/holographic staging and absolutely gorgeous tone/timbre and vocals to die for. Bluegrass, Folk and Acoustic Guitar sound fantastic and just so natural and right with this tube. The Mullard Mitcham CV6 truly has magical mids, that are big, fat and juicy with a harmonic richness and euphonic texture you can literally feel and it's as if you can reach out and touch the notes as they decay floating around and away from your head.

The GEC is technically better, with a tighter more balanced sound, with much better speed, extension on both ends and transparency. I think most would prefer the GEC over the Mullard, however the Mullard are still better than any 6SN7 by a long shot and are fantastic in their own right. With the right music and system pairing/synergy, they are such a fun and highly immersive and engaging experience.

I love this tube type so much, and it has elevated my system and listening experience so much, that I am so content I am going to lay low from the forum for a while and just enjoy the music. It's so easy to get caught up in gear talk and the next best thing and constantly researching and buying/upgrading, that I can loose track of what this is all about for me. Music is my escape and keeps me sane, and the better and the more realistic/musical it sounds, the more I get engaged and the further I am able to escape from reality.

I have found my perfect tubes, and have secured several backups of each one and life is good. I will be able to enjoy this sound for many years to come, and it's so nice not worrying about finding or affording those lesser souding yet much more expensive and rare 6SN7, 6H8C, 1587 tubes anymore. :grin:

Happy Hunting, Rolling, and Listening!

Back to musical bliss. . .
I hope that you do not lay low from this forum for too long because your positive influence is so great. I do not know of any other forum member (other than jamato8) who has shown us (Cayin HA300Mk2 amp owners) in great detail how the sound quality of the amp can be significantly improved by tube rolling. Based on your personal impressions, I have ordered the adapter, 7193 tubes and CV6 tubes.

Jeff.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #3,518 of 6,563
Question no.2, I am looking at using the amp with some 94db or 98db speakers (namely one of the Audio Note AN E / HE models), does anyone have any experience with running speakers from HA300 MK2?

I'm running the Mk 1 on a pair of AN-J/SPe right now. Sounds great! Compared to the AN OTO SE this might be even a bit more liquid, but suffers from a slightly more bloomy bass. For normal listening volume I'm at around 11 o'clock on the volume, so reckon it should be okay with your HE model.

May 15, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #3,519 of 6,563
Apropos Mullard. . .

Ich habe gerade einen meiner von Mitcham hergestellten CV6-Quads wieder eingerollt, nachdem ich den GEC Shaw CV6 eine Woche lang verwendet hatte, und sie sind im Vergleich zum GEC definitiv mittelfokussierter. Die Mullards haben einen wirklich schönen Mittelbass-Punch und eine schöne Textur mit einer sehr einzigartigen, konzertsaalähnlichen/holografischen Inszenierung und einem absolut großartigen Ton/Timbre und Gesang, für den man sterben kann. Bluegrass, Folk und Akustikgitarre klingen mit dieser Röhre fantastisch und einfach so natürlich und richtig. Der Mullard Mitcham CV6 verfügt wirklich über magische Mitten, die groß, fett und saftig sind, mit einem harmonischen Reichtum und einer wohlklingenden Textur, die Sie meisterhaft spüren können, und es ist, als ob Sie die Noten ausstrecken und berühren könnten,

Der GEC ist technisch besser, mit einem strafferen, ausgewogeneren Klang, mit viel besserer Geschwindigkeit, Erweiterung an beiden Enden und Transparenz. Ich denke, die meisten würden den GEC dem Mullard vorziehen, aber der Mullard ist immer noch bei weitem besser als jeder 6SN7 und an sich schon fantastisch. Mit der richtigen Musik und Systempaarung/Synergie sind sie ein so unterhaltsames und äußerst immersives und fesselndes Erlebnis.

Ich liebe diesen Röhrentyp so sehr und er hat mein System und mein Hörerlebnis so sehr verbessert, dass ich so zufrieden bin, dass ich mich für eine Weile aus dem Forum zurückziehen und einfach die Musik genießen werde. Es ist so einfach, sich in Gerede über Ausrüstung und das Nächstbeste zu vertiefen und ständig zu recherchieren und zu kaufen/aktualisieren, dass ich den Überblick darüber verliere, worum es für mich geht. Musik ist meine Fluchtmöglichkeit und hält mich bei Verstand, und je besser und realistischer/musikalischer sie klingt, desto mehr engagiere ich mich und desto weiter kann ich der Realität entfliehen.

Ich habe meine perfekten Röhren gefunden und mehrere Backups von jedem einzelnen gesichert, und das Leben ist gut. Ich werde diesen Klang noch viele Jahre lang genießen können, und es ist so schön, mir keine Sorgen mehr machen zu müssen, die weniger klingenden, aber viel teureren und selteneren Röhren 6SN7, 6H8C, 1587 zu finden oder mir diese leisten zu müssen.: Grinsen:

Viel Spaß beim Jagen, Rollen und Zuhören!

Zurück zum musikalischen Glück. . .
@Wes S
You use the Elrog 300B Tube with the adapter for the CV6.

The Elrog have a special shape (slim) ist there enough space for the "normal" shaped 300B in combination with adapter and CV6 Tubes?

Thank you!

May 15, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #3,520 of 6,563
@Wes S
You use the Elrog 300B Tube with the adapter for the CV6.

The Elrog have a special shape (slim) ist there enough space for the "normal" shaped 300B in combination with adapter and CV6 Tubes?

Thank you!
Yes, there is enough room.

May 15, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #3,522 of 6,563
thank you wes.

i have also tried:
1. turning my router off, my pc, everything i could think of.

and also i have found out that the white noise is much louder in the left channel than in the right. i think this could help a more experienced tube guy diagnose this issue for me.
This sounds like one of your tubes has a higher noise floor / gain. I have some tubes like that. I'm still battling an electric hum or ground loop noise on my amp.

@Andykong - sorry to hear you are feeling bad! Do you think it should be safe for a moment to test my ground loop situation by using a 3-prong to 2-prong outlet adapter. I was considering testing it that way and then possibly looking into a power conditioner like the Puritan 136 or Decaware ZLC. I live in SoCal and my power is all over the place. Considering a conditioner if only to act as a decent sounding surge protector.

May 15, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #3,523 of 6,563
This sounds like one of your tubes has a higher noise floor / gain. I have some tubes like that. I'm still battling an electric hum or ground loop noise on my amp.

@Andykong - sorry to hear you are feeling bad! Do you think it should be safe for a moment to test my ground loop situation by using a 3-prong to 2-prong outlet adapter. I was considering testing it that way and then possibly looking into a power conditioner like the Puritan 136 or Decaware ZLC. I live in SoCal and my power is all over the place. Considering a conditioner if only to act as a decent sounding surge protector.
For what it's worth I just won a battle with a new ground loop I discovered when I attached a REL subwoofer to the Cayin HA-300B for my speakers. I started to notice a low buzz when using my ZMF VC which also bought back the intermittent buzz that I was battling with earlier with a vengence. After following REL's advice, I plugged in a RCA cable from one of the RCA input of the REL to the RCA input of the Cayin (which I am not using) and the ground loop was broken. Apparently the outer shell of RCA is for grounding and can be use for that purpose. Now the Cayin is dead silent and I haven't heard the intermittent buzz again. Life is good again :)

PS. I had to find the culprit of the ground loop first by unplugging all other components that is connected to the same powerboard as the Cayin, Then plug them back in one by one until I hear the buzz again. Once I found the culprit it's all about how to ground the culprit hence went with the RCA solution.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #3,524 of 6,563
For what it's worth I just won a battle with a new ground loop I discovered when I attached a REL subwoofer to the Cayin HA-300B for my speakers. I started to notice a low buzz when using my ZMF VC which also bought back the intermittent buzz that I was battling with earlier with a vengence. After following REL's advice, I plugged in a RCA cable from one of the RCA input of the REL to the RCA input of the Cayin (which I am not using) and the ground loop was broken. Apparently the outer shell of RCA is for grounding and can be use for that purpose. Now the Cayin is dead silent and I haven't heard the intermittent buzz again. Life is good again :)

PS. I had to find the culprit of the ground loop first by unplugging all other components that is connected to the same powerboard as the Cayin, Then plug them back in one by one until I hear the buzz again. Once I found the culprit it's all about how to ground the culprit hence went with the RCA solution.
I have a REL as well, but I've disconnected it and it didn't solve mine. I'm still searching for my solution.

May 17, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #3,525 of 6,563
The Western Electric really do take a while to totally open up. Nice thing about the 300B, correctly made, is that it has a very long life. Opening up extremely well with the Ken-Rad in the drivers seat and source by the DX320MAX ti (excellent source). I am using the shorter adapters for the 7193 tubes but not crazy about the wire they used for the grids and anodes, so may change that. I also shortened the wires to the caps as they are too long, IMO.

IMG_2907-3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back