Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Feb 8, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #3,152 of 6,564
Should I be concerned with this phenomenon if speakers are connected when switching over to headphones?
e.g. damages to speakers, loud 'pop' sound ?
Nope, crosstalk is harmless. It is a kind of interference, it is not a load to the circuit.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 8, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #3,153 of 6,564
And weirdly today when I turned it on the VU meter is maxed out at 100 again.

@Andykong any idea why this would be happening? Is it a tube thing?

Sorry, I have no clue at all. You need to consult your dealer and ask them to check out with Cayin Technical Support for a diagnosis.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 8, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #3,154 of 6,564
Feb 8, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #3,156 of 6,564
Feb 10, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #3,157 of 6,564
This amp continues to amaze me with how refined and nuanced it is! With my current tube combo (Elrog ER300B, RFT 6SN7 WPDFG, Sicte 22DE4 (V7 &V8), Japanese Grey Plate 22DE4 (V5 & V6), and Audio Magic M1 Fuse in the power supply, I am getting a very neutral albeit lifelike sound. What's really standing out the more I get accustomed to the sound, is how amazingly good this amp is at giving you what each song needs. For instance, on some tracks the bass can really take your head off when called for and just seems to explode out of nowhere, but is also never bloated or overbearing. Same goes for the mids and treble and all the detail and nuances. The staging is also very nuanced as well, and can be huge and very holographic or intimate and forward depending on the track. This amp really is so refined and nuanced, that you can really tell it was a labor of love and has been tweaked to perfection with the mk2. This amp is at such a high level technically with that refinement and nuances galore, that it has taken me literally months to get accustomed to how insanely good this amp truly is. It seems like I say "Oh my God, I have never heard that before!", and "Damn that just sounds so right!", in my head during every track and I just can't get enough. :astonished:

Of note, the stock tubes really don't do this amp justice. Having heard what this amp is capable of, I also imagine that what people are hearing in show conditions with the stock tubes is not the best way to get a feel for what this amp can really do. All the refinement and nuances just don't come through in noisy conditions, or with the warmed over stock tubes.

If you are looking for one of the best deals around for an Endgame 300B amp this one deserves a hard look, and especially once you put some better tubes in it. This amp is continuesly compared against an amp (Feliks Envy) that cost twice as much and it seems to be split 50/50 on which one is preferred with just the stock tubes and that speaks volumes for what Cayin has accomplished. Imagine how they might compare with better tubes. . .

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #3,158 of 6,564
Current tube combo - Elrog ER300B, RFT 6SN7 WPDFG, Sicte 22DE4 (V7 & V8), Japanese Grey Plate 22DE4 (V5 & V6)

Subbass - It's there in spades, and you can literally feel it.

Midbass - The slam can take your head off and is tight and textured

Mids - Detailed, textured, euphonic and lifelike with nuances galore

Treble - Extended, refined and never harsh but still sparkly

Staging - Super holographic and expansive, or intimate and 3D depending on what the song calls for

There is absolutely nothing missing in the sound whatsoever with these tubes in the HA300MK2.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #3,159 of 6,564
@Wes S when can you send me those 6SN7 & 22DE4..😁😁😁

Feb 10, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #3,160 of 6,564
How loud is everyone's noise floor on H impedance? I get a pretty loud electric buzz on my standard jack with dynamics like my Grados. The XLR is quieter, but the buzz is still there. I just swapped my rectifiers / 6sn7s and a bunch of electric cables to try to isolate the buzz. So far no luck.

Feb 10, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #3,161 of 6,564
How loud is everyone's noise floor on H impedance? I get a pretty loud electric buzz on my standard jack with dynamics like my Grados. The XLR is quieter, but the buzz is still there. I just swapped my rectifiers / 6sn7s and a bunch of electric cables to try to isolate the buzz. So far no luck.

from quietest to noisiest : 4.4->XLR->6.35mm , L->M->H impedance

In my experience, the tubes used will directly affect the noise floor

Feb 10, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #3,162 of 6,564
I've swapped the 6sn7s and the rectifiers and they don't affect this electric buzz. I'm trying to isolate where it is coming from. It sounds like the hum of electricity from a power line, but it is most noticeable on the 6.35mm with dynamics on H impedance. I think my XLR is the quietest out.

Feb 10, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #3,163 of 6,564
from quietest to noisiest : 4.4->XLR->6.35mm , L->M->H impedance

In my experience, the tubes used will directly affect the noise floor
Same observations and conclusions as you wrt countering noise floor on my 6A.

Tubes are often the culprit. Recently I bought a pair of ‘50s RCA black plates 12AU7 and it was unfortunately microphonic. Switching to 6.35mm and low impedance helps a lot though.

Feb 10, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #3,164 of 6,564
I've swapped the 6sn7s and the rectifiers and they don't affect this electric buzz. I'm trying to isolate where it is coming from. It sounds like the hum of electricity from a power line, but it is most noticeable on the 6.35mm with dynamics on H impedance. I think my XLR is the quietest out.
Does the hum change at all if you touch the unit, specifically anywhere metal? Odds are you've got DC floating on your power lines. You'll want a DC line blocker. Something like THIS.

Feb 10, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #3,165 of 6,564
if it is a hum and not a buzz, it could be environmental factors

It didn't happen for me, but reading past posts, it could be something to do with your power, placement of wireless signals (routers and even phones ?!) etc. Best of luck with your diagnosis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back