Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Dec 2, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #2,746 of 6,564
Can you mix and match 22de4s? They should all be the same spec right? Also, why the heck do rectifier tubes affect the sound if they are just changing AC to DC? This is the most puzzling tube swap to me.
Yes you can. I use 2 GEs and 2 RCAs

Dec 2, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #2,747 of 6,564
I don't see anyone mentioning tube testers. I don't use tubes until I test them. That is for shorts and then now well they are matched.

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #2,748 of 6,564
I don't see anyone mentioning tube testers. I don't use tubes until I test them. That is for shorts and then now well they are matched.
any recommendations? I've been wondering about it, since I am fairly certain I would be rolling tubes not just for the mk2 but also future tube amps.. might be a worthwhile investment

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #2,749 of 6,564
any recommendations? I've been wondering about it, since I am fairly certain I would be rolling tubes not just for the mk2 but also future tube amps.. might be a worthwhile investment
There are a number of good tube testers but you want one that does mutual conductance and one that has been calibrated. A TV7, TV10, most of the Hickoks are good and there are others. Prices really vary. I have 7 or 8, 2 Hickok 439Cs (one like new), 3 TV7, TV10 and a couple of others. They have all been calibrated. Using a piece of tube equipment to find out if a tube is bad, is not a good way to go. :^)

Dec 3, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #2,750 of 6,564
I have some Amperex branded 22DE4's that are actually made by G.E., and I have also seen quit a few other rebranded 22DE4's. For instance, these G.E. labeled tubes below that are listed on ebay right now, are actually made by Tung Sol.

Screenshot_20221202_044705_eBay.jpg

I have also seen Westinghouse branded tubes, that were actually made by Raytheon Japan. Another one I have seen is ITT labeled 22DE4's that were actually Raytheon too. I have seen and own a few other rebrands but I can't remember which one's off the top of my head. That being said, who knows what those Lindal labeled one's are without seeing the inner construction. I have every brand of 22DE4 except for those rare Top Getters that @jamato8 has, and will be happy to help anyone identify the make of 22DE4's if you post of pic of said tube.
Looks like I was wrong on this one, and these GE labeled tubes are actually RCA tubes. Sorry for the confusion.

Dec 3, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #2,751 of 6,564
Looks like I was wrong on this one, and these GE labeled tubes are actually RCA tubes. Sorry for the confusion.
Thank you for the info, I have been wondering, these the Raytheons I ordered, I have noticed that the plates looking pretty similar to a couple of other 22DE4s, may I know if they are similar to the raytheons you know about?

s-l1600.jpg

Dec 3, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #2,752 of 6,564
Thank you for the info, I have been wondering, these the Raytheons I ordered, I have noticed that the plates looking pretty similar to a couple of other 22DE4s, may I know if they are similar to the raytheons you know about?

I did order those too. They should be Japanese grey plates, you can see made in Japan print on the base. Similar to the black plates variant. In my cayin HA-3A I like those black plates.

Westinghouse and Raytheon did outsource manufacturing to Japan in the late 60s and 70s.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #2,753 of 6,564
What DACs are you guys using with the ha300b?

Im planning on using moon 680D, it has 2V output. Would this be a good match?

Dec 3, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #2,754 of 6,564
My grab bag of 22DE4 just came in from Surplus Sales of Nebraska. Sent masterfully bubble wrapped inside a jiffy pop box. Love this place.
https://www.surplussales.com/Tubes-Sock-Acc/7-99/TubesListed_7-99_4.html

I got 8 GEs and 10 randoms. (You can't pick your tubes other than GE)

The GEs are coin base. Not sure if there is a difference between the different models.

3x RCA that are not coin base / they are the more standard thicker base. They definitely are different build than what came in the amp.
1x ITT - this one is coin base. Similar build to the RCA and GE, but different spacing inside.
1 x El Menco - This tube looks really cool. Standard base. Looks new and says Japan. Similar to Tung Sol, but taller.
1 x Tung Sol - standard base
1 x Sylvania - standard base
1 x Hoffman - standard base - wonder if this is made by someone else?
1 x Westinghouse - standard base

Very interested in finding out if any of these tubes are manufactured by the same company.

Just swapped in the GE tubes for the first time. I'm not sure the production year of the coin base GEs but I'm sure they haven't warmed up for 50 years or something. Right out of the box my impression is that they have a bit more low end than the RCA. Slightly less air possibly? I personally like both sounds. I wish I had another quad of tubes to test. I want a quad of these El Menco.

I also just got some 12au7 adapters in the mail to test out in the 6sn7 slot. They are available on ebay, but shipping takes a long while from China.
I wonder whether it would be advantageous for a group of Cayin HA300 amp owners to get together as a COOP to buy out their entire supply of 22de4 tubes. Then, the COOP could put together quad sets of the same brands of 22de4 tubes and sell them at a slightly higher price. I have far more 22de4 tubes than I need for my personal use, and I am willing to contribute $100 to this COOP plan, with the expectation that I will get my $100 back when the entire collected supply of 22de4 tubes is eventually sold off. I am also willing to freely donate to the COOP many of those thirty-two 22de4 tubes that I originally purchased from Surplus Sales of Nebraska as an experiment on behalf of Cayin HA300 amp owners.

Jeff.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #2,755 of 6,564

I have tried using my three DACs - Wyred-4-Sound 2v2se 10th Anniversary Limited Edition, Musician Aquarius and Denafrips Pontus II - and the best sound by far is when I use the Denafrips Pontus II DAC.

Jeff.

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #2,756 of 6,564

s-l1600.jpg
There were two main factories in Japan that made the tubes. There were more but two did a lot of the work. They were then labeled by Raytheon etc. but it wasn't a Raytheon factory.

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #2,757 of 6,564
I wonder whether it would be advantageous for a group of Cayin HA300 amp owners to get together as a COOP to buy out their entire supply of 22de4 tubes. Then, the COOP could put together quad sets of the same brands of 22de4 tubes and sell them at a slightly higher price. I have far more 22de4 tubes than I need for my personal use, and I am willing to contribute $100 to this COOP plan, with the expectation that I will get my $100 back when the entire collected supply of 22de4 tubes is eventually sold off. I am also willing to freely donate to the COOP many of those thirty-two 22de4 tubes that I originally purchased from Surplus Sales of Nebraska as an experiment on behalf of Cayin HA300 amp owners.

Jeff.
A coop could be fun for some. A person would need a good tube tester, know structure so as to match the tubes up. Test for shorts etc.

Dec 3, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #2,758 of 6,564
I see, so you get into this hobby and end up with HA-300MK2 because of COVID? :smirk:

The tube rolling game has two folds: to improve the performance of your amplifier, and to fine-tune the sound signature of the amplifier to your personal preference. So take your time on this long and winding journey, it's a lot of fun, and in my opinion, the essence of the game is exploration and variety, so jumping to a conclusion is not necessarily the best route.

Besides, if you are new to the tube rolling game, I think it is important to experience the process and to hear the difference with your own ears because you invest big money to expensive vacuum tubes.
I have a question. What does the MK2 do with an input that is balanced via the XLRs?

Dec 3, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #2,760 of 6,564

2V output is a little bit low for some low sensitivity headphone such as Susvara or Abyss , my dac is 3.8V still needs a pre-amp to booth the gains for those monster headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back