Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Dec 1, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #2,716 of 6,564
I don't like the 4.4 at all. It needs to come off of the same point as the XLR and not be padded with resistors. It is killing dynamics, transparency and sound in general. Single ended is better, easily or the XLR.
Yes agree, XLR much better than 4.4 mm.
The single ended is also marvelous with my grado. Vocal sweeter & intimate. Thou you still can hear noise for 90db headphones.

Dec 1, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #2,718 of 6,564
Don't like cages. Never use them with tubes. If a problem with cats, they will learn real fast.

I see the price on eBay for the 22DE4 has gone way up. They are really taking advantage of this. The tubes in quantity were selling for around 50 cents and often dumped because they sat on shelves for years with no apparent use. Profit mongers.

I used the MK2 with balanced input, as I do with the LTA Z10e but I don't care for the sound. For some reason it is a little thinner sounding and less body to the sound. The balanced out comes from the output transformer anyway.

My favorite headphones right now with the MK2, the ES R10. Over any of my open headphones.They capture some of the R10 magic but are a little more robust in sound, an interesting and musical mix. The SR2 iBasso do excellent as do the Focal Utopia.

How does z10e compare against 300b mk2? I am assuming it is more SS like with a linear tonality. Which one do you prefer for your dynamic and planar headphones?. 🍻

Dec 1, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #2,719 of 6,564
I use the XLR for my planar and the 4.4 for my VCs. My XLR was noisier than the 4.4 on the VCs.
Awesome. Like Wes said it's so versatile you have plenty of choice for your enjoyment.

I have tried some planars like Susvara, Diana TC, Empyrean, they're all very quiet. Except LCD5, still can hear it barely if you concentrate finding it.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #2,720 of 6,564
Awesome. Like Wes said it's so versatile you have plenty of choice for your enjoyment.

I have tried some planars like Susvara, Diana TC, Empyrean, they're all very quiet. Except LCD5, still can hear it barely if you concentrate finding it.
I almost face the same thing like you, with the XLR it's quiet for Susvara, 1266, 800s, Empyrean, except ZMF VC carried some low noice from the right side.

Dec 1, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #2,721 of 6,564
How does z10e compare against 300b mk2? I am assuming it is more SS like with a linear tonality. Which one do you prefer for your dynamic and planar headphones?. 🍻
I am still burning in the MK2. I am a little over 70 hours now and still hear changes. It is opening up more now, thankfully as it was open, then a little too warm and more closed in for many hours and then more open and then more closed and yesterday it started opening up more and more, with more transparency and "air".

The Z10e can drive the Expanse without issue and do it well. The MK2, so-so. I thought it would have more power going out to the planar. For the ES R10, SR2, Utopia and other phones of like sensitivity, great. Also the MK2 has gotten extremely quiet. I use mostly the XLR. Both the 6.3mm and XLR are very good. But need more hours for everything to settle, caps to form and dielectrics to settle in. Very big thought on presentation, which is very good. Big sound but not just big but well layered and dynamic.

I am currently using some Tung-sol round plate NOS I was given years ago. I have more NOS in the TS RP but wanted to use these and the Elrog with Japanese 22DE4 rectifiers.

Dec 1, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #2,722 of 6,564
I am still burning in the MK2. I am a little over 70 hours now and still hear changes. It is opening up more now, thankfully as it was open, then a little too warm and more closed in for many hours and then more open and then more closed and yesterday it started opening up more and more, with more transparency and "air".

The Z10e can drive the Expanse without issue and do it well. The MK2, so-so. I thought it would have more power going out to the planar. For the ES R10, SR2, Utopia and other phones of like sensitivity, great. Also the MK2 has gotten extremely quiet. I use mostly the XLR. Both the 6.3mm and XLR are very good. But need more hours for everything to settle, caps to form and dielectrics to settle in. Very big thought on presentation, which is very good. Big sound but not just big but well layered and dynamic.

I am currently using some Tung-sol round plate NOS I was given years ago. I have more NOS in the TS RP but wanted to use these and the Elrog with Japanese 22DE4 rectifiers.
Thanks for sharing your experience with these amps. I am also relatively new to this amp and still getting familiar. My Elrog 300s are arriving tomorrow followed by VT231 Ken Rad clear glass which were recommended by Brent from audiotubes.com. Can’t wait to try these and then probably change rectifier to GE. But so far it has been great, and I love the authority with which it drives all the headphones I have tried so far. I am very curious about Z10e, seems like a great amp and great value if you consider it is a class leading energiser too, not sure if it sounds too solid state or possible to take it down by rolling tubes. I hope to try this in person soon.

I am a little surprised with your expanse impression because I was reading headfonics review of expanse and they talked about amazing synergy with Cayin. Maybe things improve for you with Elrogs? Look forward to hear your impressions once you have had more time with your new tubes. Thanks

Dec 1, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #2,723 of 6,564
Thanks for sharing your experience with these amps. I am also relatively new to this amp and still getting familiar. My Elrog 300s are arriving tomorrow followed by VT231 Ken Rad clear glass which were recommended by Brent from audiotubes.com. Can’t wait to try these and then probably change rectifier to GE. But so far it has been great, and I love the authority with which it drives all the headphones I have tried so far. I am very curious about Z10e, seems like a great amp and great value if you consider it is a class leading energiser too, not sure if it sounds too solid state or possible to take it down by rolling tubes. I hope to try this in person soon.

I am a little surprised with your expanse impression because I was reading headfonics review of expanse and they talked about amazing synergy with Cayin. Maybe things improve for you with Elrogs? Look forward to hear your impressions once you have had more time with your new tubes. Thanks
It is driving the Expanse better now. But it also depends upon the music.

Dec 1, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #2,724 of 6,564
I use the XLR for my planar and the 4.4 for my VCs. My XLR was noisier than the 4.4 on the VCs.
Same with my Atriums though finding my preference varies with the tubes. With the RCA 5692 prefer the XLRs as the noise on high impedance isn't an issue compared to other 6sn7s tried so far.

Dec 1, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #2,725 of 6,564
RFT 6SN7 WPFGCS + Elrog ER300B + Sicte 22DE4 = Insanity at it's finest

20221201_075349.jpg

Seriously, this tube combo is dynamite with my VC's, and I just can't get enough of the sonics, as well as the looks. :grin:

Happy Rolling and Listening!

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #2,726 of 6,564
RFT 6SN7 WPFGCS + Elrog ER300B + Sicte 22DE4 = Insanity at it's finest

20221201_075349.jpg

Seriously, this tube combo is dynamite with my VC's, and I just can't get enough of the sonics, as well as the looks. :grin:

Happy Rolling and Listening!
Yes, mine is falling into place. 80 plus hours now and doing the job in spades.

As it has opened up and burned in, the Expanse are sounding way better with it now. Using the 6.3mm as I don't have a XLR for the cable of the Expanse and have to make an adapter to go from 4.4 to XLR.

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #2,727 of 6,564
Yes, mine is falling into place. 80 plus hours now and doing the job in spades.

As it has opened up and burned in, the Expanse are sounding way better with it now. Using the 6.3mm as I don't have a XLR for the cable of the Expanse and have to make an adapter to go from 4.4 to XLR.
Heck yeah! This amp definitely comes into it's own with a good 100 hours of burn-in, and just like you mentioned earlier, it sure does quiet down and open up once you get there.

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #2,728 of 6,564
Since there is no 22DE4 thread, I guess this is the defacto 22DE4 place

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about Lindal's 22DE4, I imagine its most likely a white label, but from whom? Any guesses?

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #2,729 of 6,564
Since there is no 22DE4 thread, I guess this is the defacto 22DE4 place

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about Lindal's 22DE4, I imagine its most likely a white label, but from whom? Any guesses?
What does the construction look like? Any images?

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #2,730 of 6,564
Has anyone tried the new WE 300Bs in the MK2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back