Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jul 14, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #1,786 of 6,563
Good question - In my setup I do have more noise out of the RCAs than the XLRs. I currently have both outputs from my DAC (Spring 3) going into the Cayin to test that out and switching back and forth can notice noise out of the RCA after I turn the volume past 2 o'clock. Its very minor but it is there.

Once the music plays though I can't hear it at all with the Atriums though more noticeable with the VCs out of the XLRs and 6.5.
This sounds like interference from RCA cable? Though in my case the hum is not dependent on volume, so it’s originated before the volume stage?

Jul 14, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #1,787 of 6,563
This sounds like interference from RCA cable? Though in my case the hum is not dependent on volume, so it’s originated before the volume stage?
It's some slight hiss / noise and not hum from the transformers. If I hook up my VCs out of the XLR ouputs and set impedance to high then I can hear a slight noise floor that is unaffected by volume but not audible once music is playing.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #1,788 of 6,563
It's some slight hiss / noise and not hum from the transformers. If I hook up my VCs out of the XLR ouputs and set impedance to high then I can hear a slight noise floor that is unaffected by volume but unaudible once music is playing.
If you are not connecting any source to the amp, do you still hear noise? what I hear is more like a buzz than a hum, at 120Hz

Jul 14, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #1,789 of 6,563
If you are not connecting any source to the amp, do you still hear noise? what I hear is more like a buzz than a hum, at 120Hz
As discussed above its generally frown upon to run amps without sources. I'm not sure if this would actually damage the Cayin or not but don't have plans to test it.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #1,790 of 6,563
I just got a new unit. I am experiencing background noise at 120Hz. The noise doesn’t change when I turn the volume, even at 0 volume level, so I know it’s volume independent. It’s also present when no source/input is connected at all, so I think it’s source independent as well. I have hooked both hd800s (via 4 pin XLR) and hd650 (via 6.5mm) and can hear the noise on both headphones, both output, and all 3 impedance levels.

I’ve tried turning off all the circuit breakers in the house except for the one powering the amp, noise is still there. I’ve also tried the amp connected to different outlet in the house, as well as giving it its own power strip, and the noise is still present. There is also no router or modem near the amp.

I can also hear metal tapping noise when the tubes are heating up but so far I think this is normal. Right channel on the headphone is more susceptible to microphonics, that I hear louder noise transmitted to the right channel than the left one when I tap on anywhere on the amp.

I have read that people are saying this amp is “dead silent”, should I be worried? Thanks so much!
The first MK2 unit I received were exhibiting the same issue with with microphonics, slight tapping of the amp metal body would cause ringing in the headphone. I'm still somewhat new to tubes and didn't know that was an issue until reading your post.

Jul 14, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,791 of 6,563
The first MK2 unit I received were exhibiting the same issue with with microphonics, slight tapping of the amp metal body would cause ringing in the headphone. I'm still somewhat new to tubes and didn't know that was an issue until reading your post.
That’s a tube thing. Like the physical tube it’s self is the cause

Jul 14, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #1,792 of 6,563
I just got a new unit. I am experiencing background noise at 120Hz. The noise doesn’t change when I turn the volume, even at 0 volume level, so I know it’s volume independent. It’s also present when no source/input is connected at all, so I think it’s source independent as well. I have hooked both hd800s (via 4 pin XLR) and hd650 (via 6.5mm) and can hear the noise on both headphones, both output, and all 3 impedance levels.

I’ve tried turning off all the circuit breakers in the house except for the one powering the amp, noise is still there. I’ve also tried the amp connected to different outlet in the house, as well as giving it its own power strip, and the noise is still present. There is also no router or modem near the amp.

I can also hear metal tapping noise when the tubes are heating up but so far I think this is normal. Right channel on the headphone is more susceptible to microphonics, that I hear louder noise transmitted to the right channel than the left one when I tap on anywhere on the amp.

I have read that people are saying this amp is “dead silent”, should I be worried? Thanks so much!
Do your power sockets connect to the grounding rod? You can test by touching the amp, while listening via headphone. If the noise volume increases, your power sockets do not connect to the grounding rod or has some issues related to it.

Jul 14, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #1,793 of 6,563
Do your power sockets connect to the grounding rod? You can test by touching the amp, while listening via headphone. If the noise volume increases, your power sockets do not connect to the grounding rod or has some issues related to it.
Touching the amp doesn’t increase the volume of the noise. In fact the only thing affecting the volume of the noise is switching between different impedance level; higher the impedance louder the noise.

Jul 14, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #1,795 of 6,563
I think it’s related to source…
I think so.

Touching the amp doesn’t increase the volume of the noise. In fact the only thing affecting the volume of the noise is switching between different impedance level; higher the impedance louder the noise.
In that case, I agree with wazzupi. You may try swapping sources switch between XLR and RCA. I hope you may find the differences.

Jul 16, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #1,798 of 6,563
Maybe I have too high an expectation? By “silent” do you guys mean absolutely no background noise at all? Or just not loud enough to hear it with music? I am using hd800s btw, so it’s high impedance, high sensitivity, maybe that’s why the background is a bit louder than what I expected?

Also what kind of power conditioner do you guys use? Will it improve the background if I go for a better one? I am using a Furman strip, others have recommended monster HTS as well

Jul 16, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #1,799 of 6,563
Maybe I have too high an expectation? By “silent” do you guys mean absolutely no background noise at all? Or just not loud enough to hear it with music? I am using hd800s btw, so it’s high impedance, high sensitivity, maybe that’s why the background is a bit louder than what I expected?

Also what kind of power conditioner do you guys use? Will it improve the background if I go for a better one? I am using a Furman strip, others have recommended monster HTS as well
i am using Furman Elite-15 PFI, and my Cayin HA-300B MK1 has 0 noise until you literally put the volume dial past 2-3 o clock and even then the noise is a slight haze which can't be heard during play, maybe because everything is ear piercing loud at that point.....

Jul 16, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #1,800 of 6,563

I was wondering about this too. It takes some effort but with the VCs and a very quiet room I can hear a noise floor at high impedance more so when not using the 4.4 output. Believe the hd800s are more sensitive so may naturally be more receptive to tube noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back