Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Apr 8, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #5,986 of 6,473
Listening right now with 6S5S, WE300B and Sicte 22DE4 and I am I in awe of what I am hearing. This amp is absolutely incredible and is everything I could have ever dreamed of when I first got into this hobby. I have found some magical synergy with my gear and preferences and I am in heaven.

Tube rolling makes such a huge impact.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #5,987 of 6,473
Listening right now with 6S5S, WE300B and Sicte 22DE4 and I am I in awe of what I am hearing. This amp is absolutely incredible and is everything I could have ever dreamed of when I first got into this hobby. I have found some magical synergy with my gear and preferences and I am in heaven.

Tube rolling makes such a huge impact.
That's two lots of unobtainium LOL! Sicte ... NOPE. 6S5S ... NOPE. How many spares do you have?

Where does that leave the 6S2S ?

I'm still marvelling at any CV6 / 2C22 / 7193 / CV1135 / DET20 - I dont think I have found a bad quad set yet. I wont ever go back to 6SN7.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #5,988 of 6,473
Roll rectifiers and you will find out. For me the changes are pretty fundamental.

Now how it stacks up against Envy? Somone would have to run the same tubes in the same system and do an indepth b2b comparison to find out. Im sure they sound a little bit different, but I doubt you could say objectively better at this level.
I'm aware of the changes to rolling rectifiers. I'm not aware of what solid state rectification will do to change that. I appreciate the added benefits Cayin has to tuning a system. Does that make Cayin a better amp than Envy? Or does envy get more out of the driver tubes from solid state rectification?

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #5,989 of 6,473
I'm aware of the changes to rolling rectifiers. I'm not aware of what solid state rectification will do to change that. I appreciate the added benefits Cayin has to tuning a system. Does that make Cayin a better amp than Envy? Or does envy get more out of the driver tubes from solid state rectification?
Everything is built upon a good/great power supply. Be it solid state or tube, nothing will come to good without a good power supply so both solid state or tube will effect that as the tubes or solid state components downstream from the PS get the current and steady voltage they need. The audio AC signal rides on DC and the cleaner and better that is controlled, the better that part of the circuit will be. Many variables for both solid state and tube PSs.

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #5,990 of 6,473
The Aegis is a very clean sounding tube amp, and if you are looking for a thick sound, not sure I would go that route. . .

I also didn't think the HA300MK2 was that much better than my old Pendant SE when I first got it and used only the stock tubes. That being said, once I got the Elrog's and WE's the differences were clear and the HA300MK2 became the best amp I have heard for my preferences.

300B's are expensive but the ER300B and WE300B are worth it, and this is the end of the road for my tube rolling journey as it can't get any better for my preferences. I like it thick and punchy, with crazy holographic staging and I have that in spades right now.

Damn seems tube rolls make a massive difference with this amp! Im sure pendant is no slouch but to say cayin was at pendant level pre-roll makes me think i have to take a leap and upgrade. I do have some cossor 300b WE clones that ill probably try today. Going to look around for some 6sn7s also.

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #5,991 of 6,473
For just getting that tuby sound with decent technicalities HA6a is really good, inexpensive, and has some really "tuby" tubes you can use with it : ) like GL KT-77 etc.

I was also thinking of elekit tu8800 which I heard responds well to rolling. Although elekit sound is not as tubey.

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #5,992 of 6,473

Definitely not a ton of HA300 mk2 vs envy comparisons. Id love to see some. Along with HA300 mk 2 vs wa23.

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #5,993 of 6,473
Definitely not a ton of HA300 mk2 vs envy comparisons. Id love to see some. Along with HA300 mk 2 vs wa23.
Yeah I scoured the web but couldn't find any. I don't think this amp is brought to shows often due to the weight and size making comparisons even harder to come by. Also tubes make a crazy difference, so any comparison would be useless without exactly matching the driver / power tubes imo. We need a sacrifice to buy both and compare lmao

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #5,994 of 6,473
Damn seems tube rolls make a massive difference with this amp! Im sure pendant is no slouch but to say cayin was at pendant level pre-roll makes me think i have to take a leap and upgrade. I do have some cossor 300b WE clones that ill probably try today. Going to look around for some 6sn7s also.
I will also say that the Takatsuki's get a thumbs up for me. 12 hours in and I already know these are keepers.

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #5,995 of 6,473
I will also say that the Takatsuki's get a thumbs up for me. 12 hours in and I already know these are keepers.
Share some impressions when you're ready :)

Apr 8, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #5,997 of 6,473
I tried to put my Cossor WE300b tubes in but it won't fit. The pins on the cossor are significantly thicker than my gold lion tubes. Every encounter that before ?

Apr 8, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #5,998 of 6,473
I tried to put my Cossor WE300b tubes in but it won't fit. The pins on the cossor are significantly thicker than my gold lion tubes. Every encounter that before ?
Two tend to be thick and two pins tend to be thin ... are they ALL thick on cossor or do they need a 90 degree rotation?

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #5,999 of 6,473
Two tend to be thick and two pins tend to be thin ... are they ALL thick on cossor or do they need a 90 degree rotation?
Whoops! SORRY. Thanks so much. Failed hard there.

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #6,000 of 6,473
Whoops! SORRY. Thanks so much. Failed hard there.
Respectfully. You ask alot of questions that have been answered many times by owners in the past. You state that that thread is long and you rely on the graces of those of us that are active to answer questions as you need them to be answered.

You may consider reading up on the wealth of information that is available in the back pages of the thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back