Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Feb 16, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #5,506 of 6,564
Big thanks to the Cayin HA-300B MKII owners for sharing about the banana plug extenders to allow for the amp cage to fit with taller 300Bs.

I ordered a cheap temporary pair from Amazon and have installed them. Love having the cage in place as intended. I've also ordered a nicer pair that are on the way. Just wanted to make sure this was the way to go. It certainly is.

:k701smile:
It may be intended or not. Many amps have no cage and some do. I find it distracting, as I like tubes and built my equipment to normally show and have the tubes as part of the overall design/appearance. They are helpful with animals or small children but other than that, I see no need, though they can help, when a lot of RF is around to control that.

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #5,507 of 6,564
Question for folks here.

What replacement fuses has everyone been buying?

I've got a low hum coming from the amp that showed up out of nowhere. I've replaced all the fuses with the spares that came with the amp. It has helped reduce the hum but not completely.

I'm hoping some ceramic fuses will eliminate the hum.

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #5,508 of 6,564
Question for folks here.

I've got a low hum coming from the amp that showed up out of nowhere. I've replaced all the fuses with the spares that came with the amp. It has helped reduce the hum but not completely.

Is the hum coming from the power supply section of the Cayin or the amp section?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #5,509 of 6,564
Question for folks here.

I use Little Fuse ceramic. They are special application and a nice step up and filled with sand, which is meant to stop any arcing if the fuse is blown but it also stops any vibration of that thin wire, which is a good thing. I sue the gold plated. They come in gold plated and another plating.

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #5,510 of 6,564
Is the hum coming from the power supply section of the Cayin or the amp section?

*Reread your post. Hum is coming from the amp section. Interesting.
I'm 99% sure it is coming from the power supply. Last night when I put the original fuse back in the humming got louder.

I just want to change all the fuses with something a little bit higher grade. Not anything crazy like a purple fuse, that's why I'm thinking ceramic.

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #5,511 of 6,564
Feb 19, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #5,513 of 6,564
I'm 99% sure it is coming from the power supply. Last night when I put the original fuse back in the humming got louder.

I just want to change all the fuses with something a little bit higher grade. Not anything crazy like a purple fuse, that's why I'm thinking ceramic.
That kind of humming noise from the power transformer can be due to the DC in your mains.

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #5,515 of 6,564
That kind of humming noise from the power transformer can be due to the DC in your mains.
I have devices like a "Foot warmer" that throw so much noise into the mains, it makes my DAC Hum, in fact multiple chinese DACS! Yet the Cayin was silent! I guess different devices can excite differing transformers. Im no expert, but the noise from my foot warmer is really quite loud! Interestingly, the Dac and amp sit on a power cleaner too!

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #5,516 of 6,564

You could try Gustard fuses, also ceramic and quartz sand filled. These cost me about 20$ from Ali, and they were the only thing I’ve changed in my system for the last few months, but now I’m enjoying my music much more.
But fuses unlikely can help you with the hum.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #5,517 of 6,564
I have devices like a "Foot warmer" that throw so much noise into the mains, it makes my DAC Hum, in fact multiple chinese DACS! Yet the Cayin was silent! I guess different devices can excite differing transformers. Im no expert, but the noise from my foot warmer is really quite loud! Interestingly, the Dac and amp sit on a power cleaner too!
Interesting. I read earlier that toroidal transformers (that Cayin has) are more sensitive to DC offset, i.e. should hum louder. Does that mean that your foot warmer makes the noise of some different kind? By the way, many DACs now have no power transformers at all.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #5,518 of 6,564
Interesting. I read earlier that toroidal transformers (that Cayin has) are more sensitive to DC offset, i.e. should hum louder. Does that mean that your foot warmer makes the noise of some different kind? By the way, many DACs now have no power transformers at all.

It's so hard to say for sure regarding what might be causing a hum. As much as the community tries to help diagnose problems regarding electrical issues it's nearly impossible to do so via the internet. As we know electricity is a nuanced subject. One has to really investigate and try on-site.

Regarding DACs and power supplies, yes many DACs do use SMPS nowdays. Some are outboard. But a fair number still use traditional toroidal transformers. I don't like to generalize, both methods can yield great results. And both methods have pros and cons. As with anything implementation is everything.

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #5,519 of 6,564
Ok, I can write something about new production Western Electric 300B in the context of Elrog ER300B, Psvane WE300B Replica (PSWE), and EML XLS 300B.

I will try to be brief. WE are great in short, great feeling and looking build, packaging, 5 year extended warranty (shipped out the cards, priority with confirmation and emailed everything to WE as well just in case and that I have a record).

Now talking about my subjective sound impressions, comparisons and value proposition.

WE are neutral, refined, very strong and full bass, slightly soft treble and detail and air extension is not in your face. It's a very balanced sounding tube. It didn't blow my mind, but it hit all the right notes providing great bass, dynamics, space and slightly laid back, natural timbre.

First thing out of the way, I believe many people may give a subjective edge in the sound to ER. ER has the same traits, but has more air (I've heard WE will keep opening up after 100+ hours, even after 500+ hours, but I can't verify that just yet. They certainly opened up a lot in the first 20-30h.). But apart from having more air and detail being a bit more in front with the ER, ER also has a distinctly sweet timbre, and some people will love it, others not so much. I personally like it, but not sure if I would like this sweet treble to be my only sound ... idk ... it is seductive, won't lie.

Comparing to PSWE, PSWE is sharper, textures are sharper, bass is a slight bit leaner and precise on the PSWE. It is a lot more technical with detail forwardness, sharp textures etc. WE is more laid back, more refined, more natural. For me the differences are not huge and I think many would be happy with either.

EML 300B XLS is also a natural sounding tube, so in some ways it's similar. The difference here is that EML doesn't have that spacious stage as much, it's a more "honest" or "typical" sound ... depends how you look at it.

So a conclusion, all 4 tubes are IMO on the same level more less. If you want sweet sound, Elrog, if you want natural spacious sound WE, if you want as much detail and textures as possible and more technical sound then PSWE, if you want a less "spacious" and more concrete, impactful sound with more typical stage and imaging, then XLS.

Honestly most people who are not obsessing about one aspect would be happy with either IMO.

Now the value, this is subjective, but I've managed to get a great offer on my WE and paid 1050 euro. For that I get a great, premium tube, great sound, and 5 year (hopefully hassle free) warranty ... Now with the regular price of 1500 euro more less, that's still a decent value.

If you love the Elrog sound, then you just have to pay and deal with it. And I can see that there is no other way for some people.

If you can get PSWE 2nd hand for around 500 euro this is probably the best value here.

XLS also is not a bad value, at 1000 euro retail with 5 year warranty (I believe, check before buying) or 500 euro on the 2nd hand market.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but should give prospective buyers some perspective. Obv system synergy is a thing, and as always YMMV.

I will still check out JJ 300B because I'm curious how those will perform in this context. I have high expectations : >

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #5,520 of 6,564
Ok, I can write something about new production Western Electric 300B in the context of Elrog ER300B, Psvane WE300B Replica (PSWE), and EML XLS 300B.

I will try to be brief. WE are great in short, great feeling and looking build, packaging, 5 year extended warranty (shipped out the cards, priority with confirmation and emailed everything to WE as well just in case and that I have a record).

Now talking about my subjective sound impressions, comparisons and value proposition.

WE are neutral, refined, very strong and full bass, slightly soft treble and detail and air extension is not in your face. It's a very balanced sounding tube. It didn't blow my mind, but it hit all the right notes providing great bass, dynamics, space and slightly laid back, natural timbre.

First thing out of the way, I believe many people may give a subjective edge in the sound to ER. ER has the same traits, but has more air (I've heard WE will keep opening up after 100+ hours, even after 500+ hours, but I can't verify that just yet. They certainly opened up a lot in the first 20-30h.). But apart from having more air and detail being a bit more in front with the ER, ER also has a distinctly sweet timbre, and some people will love it, others not so much. I personally like it, but not sure if I would like this sweet treble to be my only sound ... idk ... it is seductive, won't lie.

Comparing to PSWE, PSWE is sharper, textures are sharper, bass is a slight bit leaner and precise on the PSWE. It is a lot more technical with detail forwardness, sharp textures etc. WE is more laid back, more refined, more natural. For me the differences are not huge and I think many would be happy with either.

EML 300B XLS is also a natural sounding tube, so in some ways it's similar. The difference here is that EML doesn't have that spacious stage as much, it's a more "honest" or "typical" sound ... depends how you look at it.

So a conclusion, all 4 tubes are IMO on the same level more less. If you want sweet sound, Elrog, if you want natural spacious sound WE, if you want as much detail and textures as possible and more technical sound then PSWE, if you want a less "spacious" and more concrete, impactful sound with more typical stage and imaging, then XLS.

Honestly most people who are not obsessing about one aspect would be happy with either IMO.

Now the value, this is subjective, but I've managed to get a great offer on my WE and paid 1050 euro. For that I get a great, premium tube, great sound, and 5 year (hopefully hassle free) warranty ... Now with the regular price of 1500 euro more less, that's still a decent value.

If you love the Elrog sound, then you just have to pay and deal with it. And I can see that there is no other way for some people.

If you can get PSWE 2nd hand for around 500 euro this is probably the best value here.

XLS also is not a bad value, at 1000 euro retail with 5 year warranty (I believe, check before buying) or 500 euro on the 2nd hand market.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but should give prospective buyers some perspective. Obv system synergy is a thing, and as always YMMV.

I will still check out JJ 300B because I'm curious how those will perform in this context. I have high expectations : >
I would definitely give those WE's a good 150 hours plus, before passing anymore judgment. They change quite a bit, and more so than most tubes I have tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back