Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Oct 14, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #4,486 of 6,563
I would reach out to the seller and try to work something out. I wouldn't call him dishonest right off the bat, but say his description was wrong and you know the correct history because you reached out to Thomas and looked it all up via the serial numbers.
Yeah did exactly that. Now one can only hope :fingers_crossed:

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #4,487 of 6,563
That seller was the same I told you was selling the 2021 pair... I was about to buy that pair but I was doubtful because I thought: why to order the 2022 pair having the 2021 pair only 200h and not to use 2022 pair? and even I thought the possibility he mixed the 2021 and 2022 pairs... Dont know... A bit shady. That makes me think these expensive tubes better to buy new unless is a super known seller in Headfi.

Oct 14, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #4,488 of 6,563
That seller was the same I told you was selling the 2021 pair... I was about to buy that pair but I was doubtful because I thought: why to order the 2022 pair having the 2021 pair only 200h and not to use 2022 pair? and even I thought the possibility he mixed the 2021 and 2022 pairs... Dont know... A bit shady. That makes me think these expensive tubes better to buy new unless is a super known seller in Headfi.
elrog tubes come with a piece of paper with both of the serial numbers of the tubes on it with measurements, however you don't know how the tubes have been used. the risk of buying used.

Oct 14, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #4,490 of 6,563
could someone compare the popular 300b tubes against each other?
With all due respect, you seem to be very new to Head-Fi.

Generally speaking when I was as new as you seem to be I used the search feature. For you, I'd look at the Hunt for all 300b tube amp thread. There you'll find a wealth of information. Including the answers you seek to your specific question.

Although Head-Fiers are a kind and helpful bunch. I tend to not want to serve someone on a silver platter. Rather allow them to look and gain for themselves.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #4,491 of 6,563
could someone compare the popular 300b tubes against each other?
Very briefly my last experience with Elrog vs Psvane WE300B. Elrogs are sweeter, more delicate. Psvane WE300B are sharper, more dry, not sweet, less forgiving. Elrog sounded great with my TC, and ok with Utopia. Psvane WE300B doesn't synergise with the TC well, but sounds a lot cleaner and more spacious with Utopia ... to be expected though bc TC needs warmth and sweetness. With my speaker setup also Elrog sounded better bc it is more forgiving.

I don't want to comment too much bc of my 2 completely different experiences with Elrogs and the fact the 2nd one was cut short due to the tube dying. I would ignore my first experience with Elrog described in this thread though, no idea why it was so different to the second try but I believe the 2nd try was more representative of what most people experience.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #4,492 of 6,563
To update my situation, the seller of Elrogs changed his tune when challenged and basically said he used this pair as well and sold me working tubes. He didn't address the fact that he said both are new replacements while selling, which wasn't true. To be honest the tubes worked for 20h so hmmm ... he did in fact sold working tubes ... but he also lied and didn't provide the measurement sheets. He also wasn't kind enough to offer any compensation for my loss. I would at least offer a partial refund in his position but he has no obligation to, so he did not.

Anyway, I will try to get a new tube paired, my wallet will be 790 euro lighter but at least I will get the return shipping in that price ... hopefully.

Btw. I can't say I didn't think about WE giving 5 year extended warranty ... but I don't know if current production WE would sound as good to me. No doubt, if my last encounter is to go by, I think the Elrog sound in itself is worth the asking price ... but if I had a tube failure after 1,5 - 2 years and be left in the same situation I am now I wouldn't be too happy about it ... never the less it is what it is. At least I will have a year warranty for 1 of the tubes 🤷

The moral of this story is, buy that kinda tubes new. Also I really wish there was an extended warranty for Elrogs.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #4,493 of 6,563
To update my situation, the seller of Elrogs changed his tune when challenged and basically said he used this pair as well and sold me working tubes. He didn't address the fact that he said both are new replacements while selling, which wasn't the case.

Anyway, I will try to get a new tube paired, my wallet will be 790 euro lighter but at least I will get the return shipping in that price ... hopefully.

Btw. I can't say I didn't think about WE giving 5 year extended warranty ... but I don't know if current production WE would sound as good to me. No doubt, if my last encounter is to go by, I think the Elrog sound in itself is worth the asking price ... but if I had a tube failure after 1,5 - 2 years and be left in the same situation I am now I wouldn't be too happy about it ... never the less it is what it is. At least I will have a year warranty for 1 of the tubes 🤷
I have a single ER300b for sale if interested. I believe it to have around 400 hours on it. The other in the pair failed, sadly. I went on to buy the MO set leaving me a lonely ER300b. PM of interest. Its a good spare for anyone else interested.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #4,494 of 6,563
I have a single ER300b for sale if interested. I believe it to have around 400 hours on it. The other in the pair failed, sadly. I went on to buy the MO set leaving me a lonely ER300b. PM of interest. Its a good spare for anyone else interested.
I would take you up on that, but I think it has to match up with the 2nd tube in the pair. So the only option is to ask the manufacturer for a pairing. Also that pretty much sums it up ... if I bought new and was left hanging after just 400h of use (300b should have around 5000h lifespan) I wouldn't be too happy.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #4,495 of 6,563
I would take you up on that, but I think it has to match up with the 2nd tube in the pair. So the only option is to ask the manufacturer for a pairing. Also that pretty much sums it up ... if I bought new and was left hanging after just 400h of use (300b should have around 5000h lifespan) I wouldn't be too happy.
I dont blame you for wanting new. But i wasnt happy having one new and one old hence the MO purchase. Fingers crossed they hold on forever as i didnt enjoy going back to the Gold Lions.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #4,496 of 6,563
WE 300Bs remind me of Black Gate capacitors. They take forever to burn in, around 400 hours but wow, they open up so nicely, are transparent and excellent bass. And I like the warranty.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #4,497 of 6,563
To update my situation, the seller of Elrogs changed his tune when challenged and basically said he used this pair as well and sold me working tubes. He didn't address the fact that he said both are new replacements while selling, which wasn't true. To be honest the tubes worked for 20h so hmmm ... he did in fact sold working tubes ... but he also lied and didn't provide the measurement sheets. He also wasn't kind enough to offer any compensation for my loss. I would at least offer a partial refund in his position but he has no obligation to, so he did not.

The moral of this story is, buy that kinda tubes new. Also I really wish there was an extended warranty for Elrogs.
I've posted before about what I think of how the 5 year warranty is handled on the WEs, and I would be very careful about that since you live in Europe. You could get stuck with a 90 day warranty.

If you really want to lighten your wallet there is always Takatsuki.

The EAT 300Bs have been getting some good hype.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #4,498 of 6,563
I've posted before about what I think of how the 5 year warranty is handled on the WEs, and I would be very careful about that since you live in Europe. You could get stuck with a 90 day warranty.

If you really want to lighten your wallet there is always Takatsuki.

The EAT 300Bs have been getting some good hype.
I contacted WE and they said they are liberal on the time frame for getting the card in and that it isn't a problem.

Oct 15, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #4,500 of 6,563
I think this amp is already in the league of 10k. Cayin just didn't overprice it.

When you say that have you compared it to any tube amps that are more expensive ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back