Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jul 2, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #691 of 6,319
I'm afraid this humming issue is causing concerns for me and others as potential buyers. It's something I can live with for an amp that is $1500 or less but for $4000 I don't think I can do it. Other reviews I've came across did mention humming as well. The Cayin is an absolutely beautiful piece it's unfortunate it's being struck by this humming issue. Perhaps Cayin could release a potential new product identical to this but without the speaker sections.

If you are referring to the noise problem mentioned in Dave Hanson's review, the same HA-300 review units was reviewed by Chris Marten of HiFI+ before Dave received the unit, and the HA-300B review sample was then shipped to John Grandberg (aka @project86 ) after Dave completed his review. John noticed the protective sponge around the 300B tubes was missing, so we changed the 300B power tubes. Since Chris Marten and John Grandberg described the HA-300 as quiet and silent, so I assume the 300B power tubes was damaged during the shipping process to Dave Hanson.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 2, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #694 of 6,319
If you want to access the speaker driving capability of HA-300, you can look for audiophile review of 300B SET amplifiers, such as THIS ONE. This is Cayin A-300B SET Amplifier, speaker only. Other then 1 additional stage with 6SL7 before 6SN7, the major advantage of A-300B over HA-300 on speaker application is the provision of 16Ohm and 4Ohm speaker output. We can't offer multiple speaker output in HA-300 before we have 4 sets of output from the HA-300 output transformer already, 3 sets for headphones and 1 set for speaker. But if you stick with 8 ohm speakers, then the different will be minimized.

While 8W Class A is limited power if you want to fill up a decent size sitting room, but if you were to use it a a study room, it should be very sufficient, given the right speaker. @dadracer2 has suggested a very good guideline: sensitivity around 96db @ 1W/1M), and this is a good guideline. In addition, if two speakers are rated at the same sensitivity, bookshelf is easier then floor standing, bass reflex is easier then sealed box, placing near wall will almost equivalent to +3db sensitivity, and +6dB if placed near corner.

Regarding Kilpsch speakers, the horn designed models are indeed very efficient, Klipsch use a different sensitivity rating, Take THIS model as example, RF-7III is rated at 100 dB @ 2.83V / 1M and 8 ohm and that is very efficient. In case you are not familiar with this format of rating, 100 dB @ 2.83V / 1M is equal to 100 dB @ 1W / 1M at 8Ohm, but if the speaker is rated at 4 ohm, then 2.83V will get you 2W. and the sensitivity rating will become 100 dB @ 2W/1m, which is equivalent to 97 dB @ 1W/1M (3 dB different for doubled power).

I found these speaker results by trial and error and not by the physics which on reflection would have made more sense. Oh yes and corner/rear wall reinforcement helps. I ended up with some pre loved Horning Perikles which are made for corner placement. The resulting sound levels are hard to believe coming from only 8 watts. Your figure on Klipsch and others such as KLH are about 3dB down on what their brochure numbers suggest and may also be worse due to their impedance curve. On the other hand if you try some Klipsch Heresy 3 they will still be ok as they are rated at 99dB so in reality 96dB, so I'm not against them....just their sensitivity specs!!!

Jul 6, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #696 of 6,319
Any good priced speakers to run off this amp ?
A lot depends on what your classification of good price is, but as you are in the US there are quite a number of companies such as Zu, Kipsch, Tekton, Lore and Omega which have speakers that will work well with the HA300 from a power/impedance/sensitivity perspective. Then it's down to you and your room size and sound preferences.....oh and your wallet! Some of these speakers seem to start at $900 or so, which when you've already spent a load more on an HA300 seems good to me. But at the end of the day it's your money, so it is your choice.

Jul 6, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #697 of 6,319
A lot depends on what your classification of good price is, but as you are in the US there are quite a number of companies such as Zu, Kipsch, Tekton, Lore and Omega which have speakers that will work well with the HA300 from a power/impedance/sensitivity perspective. Then it's down to you and your room size and sound preferences.....oh and your wallet! Some of these speakers seem to start at $900 or so, which when you've already spent a load more on an HA300 seems good to me. But at the end of the day it's your money, so it is your choice.
It's for a bedroom probably 12 by 12 feet

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #698 of 6,319
those tekton lore sound interesting I wonder if i should go for the full size or middle reference ? (I'm a newb to speakers :O)

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #699 of 6,319
It's for a bedroom probably 12 by 12 feet
Not a good listening environment for speaker, a square room will have a lot of standing wave, better choose speaker with less bass, less is more definitively apply to your room.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 7, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #702 of 6,319
What would you say is the minimum size room ?

It is not the size of the room that is the problem, it’s that the shape of the room is square.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back