Cayin HA-1A (help please)
Jun 8, 2007 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

24phun

New Head-Fier
Allrighty then. I picked up this used Cayin HA-1A, and the sound is glorious with the AKG 701s! Way, way better than with the Benchmark's headphone amp, in every respect.
I'm a bit confused on the best way to connect this though, and the minimal funny worded instruction pamphlet doesn't help. I have a fixed or variable out available through my preamp, as well as a tape out.
Right now, I have the Cayin hooked up by means of the variable out on my pre. This allows me to vary the volume both via my excellent SS preamp and the Cayin's volume pot. I figured I could adjust how hard I push the tubes by this method.
I'm really confused though by the switch on the front of the Cayin that is marked: PRE IN with a toggle that switches OFF or ON. There is only one set of inputs on the Cayin, and with the switch in the ON position, I get no sound. The pamphlet mentions absolutely nothing about this switch.
Can anyone give me one or more clues?

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 7
24Phun,

At your service . . .

I also have this and have paired it with the 701s as well - this combo is, indeed, "glorious" as you state.

In addition to being a H/A, the Cayin can be used as an integrated SET amp (low watts for use with very high efficiency speakers) or as a stand alone Pre-amp. With the Pre-Amp front toggle in the "On" you get no sound as Pre-Amp mode mutes the Headphone jack. Leave it in "Off" and you'll be in business.

I like the Cayin in Ultralinear mode as it provides a bit more power for the AKGs. For higher efficiency cans a la ATHs, etc., Triode mode does the trick. YMMV.

Hope this helps - enjoy your Cayin.

Cheers,
Garry

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd consider using fixed output on your preamp to prevent the signal from going through two different pots (one on cayin and one on preamp). I usually figure that less circuitry is better

but if you prefer the sound of the variable out then that's fine by me. Maybe somone could provide a reason why this could be better

i'd be a little bit concerned that using a variable signal could be bad for the cayin when you turn the volume down on the preamp, but i have absolutely no science to back me up on this one.. it just seems like it could possssibly be a bad idea to feed a preamp (in the cayin) a really low input signal (but it's probably fine since presumably this is what passive preamps do)

edit: i'm hoping someone with technical knowledge can come along and let us know about the impact (if any) of feeding an amp an ultra low level signal out of a preamp. i turn into a massive noob with this kind of stuff

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 7
Here's a internal pic posted by Ferbose while back.

ha1aha2.jpg

HA-1A is outstanding. Too bad it's price more than doubled when coming over from China
frown.gif

As far as using another preamp, there is one 12AX7, one 12AU7, and 2 EL84 in there, and there is plenty of gain in Cayin's internal preamplification stage. I personally would NOT use another preamp before Cayin b/c you'd be adding unnecessary gain stages, volume pots, switches, parts, cables, etc.

However, there's no accounting for personal tastes and preferences, so if adding a preamp X to the chain is more pleasing to your ears, go for it.

On the other hand, I would most definitely get some great (but not expensive) tubes, such as Sovtek 12AX7LPS and Sovtek/Reflektor 6pi14pi-EB(EL84M). There's a world of 12AU7's out there, but 5814A tubes will work great also. Raytheon 5814A (or CBS 5814A) are niicce
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 7
I have an HA-1A which is being loaned to me by Asr until my MPX3 is repaired. It sounds all right with the AD2000s but I do prefer the MPX3. It has a more energetic sound. The HA-1A sounds a bit laid back and overly warm, but I'm not complaining!

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 7
Okay, thanks for explaining the preamp switch!

My preamp has digital steps in the control, it's not a pot, so I doubt that it degrades the sound (much). I figured that it's of much higher quality than the Cayin pot, and I'm running it at about 5/8 of max. I fooled around with both pieces at differing volumes, and that's where I landed.
The fixed preamp out would still be going through the preamp, correct? I thought maybe the tape monitor would be a more direct path? But the preamp outs sounded better, IMO.
The reason I'm using the preamp is to switch between my CDP and a USB DAC.

Yes, I have already switched tubes. At present (I just got the thing, remember?) I have a Mullard 12ax7, a tung sol 12au7, and the EH power tubes that it came with. I could be confused about which tube is the Mullard and which is the Tung Sol. I have more nos tubes already, just itching for their chance to sing.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by 24phun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, thanks for explaining the preamp switch!

My preamp has digital steps in the control, it's not a pot, so I doubt that it degrades the sound (much). I figured that it's of much higher quality than the Cayin pot, and I'm running it at about 5/8 of max. I fooled around with both pieces at differing volumes, and that's where I landed.
The fixed preamp out would still be going through the preamp, correct? I thought maybe the tape monitor would be a more direct path? But the preamp outs sounded better, IMO.
The reason I'm using the preamp is to switch between my CDP and a USB DAC.

Just want to chime in on the preamp to tube thing. I too am feeding my K701 from a different Chinese tube amp, the audio space mini-galaxy I. (BTW, thanks partly to GarryH 's info on HK sources on getting this thing). I am feeding my source thru a presonus CS for the same reason. I ended up using the "cue" output of the presonus which has a "volume control", but I think it is also "switched" or whatever the term is, it is not a real pot. But with the CS I can switch sources and also amps. The Mini Galaxy has this problem where the headphone jack is in the back, and it uses the jack to "disconnect" the audio path to the speaker out. So I just use the MG for K701, and another amp for the bookshelf speakers. Until I am brave enough to open it up and add a toggle switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back