Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Feb 11, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #1,081 of 6,212
If you are using LPG in 3.5mm line out, your observations is kind of anticipated. I believe Hugo 2 line out is a only a fixed voltage output from phone out, maybe with a different output impedance? So this is more like a pseudo line out in my previous list, but the LPG 3.5mm line out is probably an unamplified clean line out.

Probably not setting volume or output power to max, just a predetermined output level.

When you said different output format, do they share the same output impedance? Did Chord provide any information along that line?
Thanks for the info!

As for the output format of Hugo 2, I haven’t checked the impedance and I think I won’t bother to because the only useful connection to me is 3.5 to 3.5 to C9. :)

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #1,082 of 6,212
Feb 11, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #1,083 of 6,212
I just ordered it from Audio Concierge!
A02 is fabulous - far exceeding my expectation. It is now replacing my desktop DAC to drive my Broadway Amp. Performance-wise my Burson DAC still wins, but N6ii + A02 gives close enough SQ to me while offering a lot more convenience.

Feb 11, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #1,084 of 6,212
Anyone think Cayin is using
I see, we need to JUSTIFY our price with a measurement report. So Schiit sells more unit after they published the report? 30% increase in sales? or 3%? You got to give me some figure so that I can convince my management to take the risk of publishing something that a large percentage of worldwide consumers will be confused and misunderstood.

Maybe I'm too fixated on measurements. The C9 looks like an excellent amp and I love that it uses replaceable 18650s but it's out of my price range. Hopefully, if the C9 is successful Cayin will consider offering a more affordable option.

Feb 11, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #1,086 of 6,212
Actually.. I hate testing, I'm now just listening to the music!

(It helps that the DX300 alone was better than my old source/amp).

The following is real fun:

Absolutely! Enjoying music is the most important thing.:beyersmile: Any early impressions?

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #1,087 of 6,212
I received my C9 from Musicteck yesterday (thanks Andrew for awesome service as always!) and I am super impressed. Much more so than I was expecting to be, if I'm being honest.

A&K SP2000 Cu (set to 6v balanced line out) > Effect Audio AK 4.4mm adapter > Penon Totem 4.4mm Interconnect > Cayin C9 (set to AB Tube) > Empire Ears Odin + 4.4mm adapter = a religious experience - pretty much my ideal sound signature.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #1,088 of 6,212
Well, compared to the DX300 alone - basically the C9 is significantly better.

Separation is more apparent, everything is "fuller", there's more energy, more speed, vocals are sweeter, bass has more weight, it's more articulate, soundstage possibly has improved, placement has definitely improved.

This is out of Utopia.

I'll probably listen to my Zeus XR later (just had some cables re-terminated to balance) - but I much prefer the Utopia to the Zeus

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #1,090 of 6,212
20210211_214622.jpg

Is this good? ifi 4.4mm IC

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #1,091 of 6,212
20210211_214622.jpg

Is this good? ifi 4.4mm IC
I also want to get this one! But the shipping to US is too long (Amazon expected data is like in March). I am thinking to get a custom-made one from Eletech.

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #1,092 of 6,212
I also want to get this one! But the shipping to US is too long (Amazon expected data is like in March). I am thinking to get a custom-made one from Eletech.

Mine is on the way, guess I will find out soon.

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #1,094 of 6,212
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a replacement IC - mostly because I want to be able to play with the DAP while the C9 is far away.

Do you think there's a limit as to length, after which there's a notable decrease in performance?

I'm thinking 18 inches...

Also, the C9 does run pretty hot? More than I remember of the demo, but I wasn't really trying to carry the demo around. Pressing a finger to it becomes very uncomfortable after 3-4 seconds - is this your experience too?

Is there link to the descriptions?
https://ifi-audio.com/products/4-4mm-to-4-4mm-cable/

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #1,095 of 6,212
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a replacement IC - mostly because I want to be able to play with the DAP while the C9 is far away.

Do you think there's a limit as to length, after which there's a notable decrease in performance?

I'm thinking 18 inches...

Also, the C9 does run pretty hot? More than I remember of the demo, but I wasn't really trying to carry the demo around. Pressing a finger to it becomes very uncomfortable after 3-4 seconds - is this your experience too?

https://ifi-audio.com/products/4-4mm-to-4-4mm-cable/
Ah SPC materials. It depends, but that is an affordable solutions. The C9 deserves more than just SPC. Just listen to it for yourself. The better the IC, the better the C9 will sing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back