Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Feb 2, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #692 of 6,212
Pull the battery out and replace with freshly charged new battery ?

I just mean the item below, bolded and underlined, from the first post:

5. Replaceable battery: the removable battery module houses 4 x Sony US18650VTC6 (3000mAh 3.7V) lithium batteries. You can charge the 18650 batteries while the battery module is attached to C9 or after you detached it from the amplifier. The battery module supports standard, PD and QC3.0 battery charging through USB-C connector.
  • Users can acquire and replace the batteries conveniently to extend the battery duration when needed.
  • User can acquire extra set of battery module.
  • In case the original battery are run down after extensive used, user can replace the battery conveniently, making sure the C9 can serve a very long time without worrying the 500 charge cycle of lithium battery.
  • Changing to different make and specification of 18650 battery might introduce small changes to the sound signature, audiophile can enjoy battery rolling as an additional tweak to their system.

Feb 2, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #693 of 6,212
You probably are not familiar with our routine of Chinese New Year. :wink:

We'll stop our production line by end of this week, start to deep clean our facilities (you can only do this once per year), and then lock up the facilities just before Chinese New year. Workers will go back to their home town meeting up with their family. Over half of the working population will move around at the same time, check out Chunyun if you want to find out more.

The new year break is 7 days only "officially", but employees who come from very distance province such as Heilongjiang orXīnjiāng Province will start their journey earlier and come back late, so the more realistic schedule will be 14 - 18 days before we can resume production.

If you deduct 14-18 days from February, resume C9 production in March is an optimistic schedule, especially when Cayin are building over 70 products actively from our production line. (15 CD players/DAC, 37 amplifiers, 19 Personal Audio products)
And here in the UK we cannot even go to our local non essential shops. Roll on vaccinations and Summer hols.

Feb 2, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #695 of 6,212
Order placed... couldn’t resist C9.

Curious to see how it will perform with my Diana V2. If it works well, it may replace my current desktop Amp the Broadway Amp. Let's see.

@Andykong 新年快乐!我在珠海渡过我大学的前两年(中大珠海校区),真的是个特别好的地方。希望疫情过去之后可以去珠海拜访你们~

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #696 of 6,212
Order placed... couldn’t resist C9.

Curious to see how it will perform with my Diana V2. If it works well, it may replace my current desktop Amp the Broadway Amp. Let's see.

Wow that’s a very bold move :relaxed:

So is it going to be DAP -> C9 -> Diana V2 or Composer -> C9 -> Diana V2?

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #697 of 6,212
Wow that’s a very bold move :relaxed:

So is it going to be DAP -> C9 -> Diana V2 or Composer -> C9 -> Diana V2?
I am thinking DAP (LPG or Hugo 2) -> C9 -> V2. On paper C9 seems to be even more powerful than the Broadway Amp, which pushes 1.5w at 32 Ω.

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #698 of 6,212
I am thinking DAP (LPG or Hugo 2) -> C9 -> V2. On paper C9 seems to be even more powerful than the Broadway Amp, which pushes 1.5w at 32 Ω.

The Broadway amp uses four 18650 batteries for "power filtering" so I won't be surprised if it is the type of amplifier @Andykong was thinking of when he described a "low-voltage battery powered amplifier"... with a "congenital defect on this issue" of "insufficient voltage swing", which is the "biggest problem" when used with "300 ohm headphones in general".

Hope the C9 works out awesome!

P.S.: Yes, this is just a dig against Andy - I suspect that given the Abyss Phi rating of 42 ohms it should be fine but who knows what the slew rate or voltage swing required is.. Hurhur.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #699 of 6,212
The Broadway amp uses four 18650 batteries for "power filtering" so I won't be surprised if it is the type of amplifier @Andykong was thinking of when he described a "low-voltage battery powered amplifier"... with a "congenital defect on this issue" of "insufficient voltage swing", which is the "biggest problem" when used with "300 ohm headphones in general".

Hope the C9 works out awesome!

P.S.: Yes, this is just a dig against Andy - I suspect that given the Abyss Phi rating of 42 ohms it should be fine but who knows what the slew rate or voltage swing required is.. Hurhur.
The Broadway Amp is known for driving some power-hungry headphones quite well, including the 1266. I think this gives us some hope that C9 should drive power-hungry headphones at least equally well. :)

On a related note, after using the Broadway Amp, I am really appreciating battery-powered devices, especially powerful amps made portable with batteries. It is just so convenient. I can take it upstairs and use it with my DAP as the source. I can even take it out for a short overnight trip and enjoy the excellent amp on-the-go.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #700 of 6,212
I am really appreciating battery-powered devices, especially powerful amps made portable with batteries. It is just so convenient. I can take it upstairs and use it with my DAP as the source. I can even take it out for a short overnight trip and enjoy the excellent amp on-the-go.

Me too!

I realise one reason I never previously used full size headphones much was just the amp I was stuck to.

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #701 of 6,212
Me too!

I realise one reason I never previously used full size headphones much was just the amp I was stuck to.
This is so true. I have my desktop setup in a corner of my living room. It turns out that because I am always moving around my house with my laptop, I rarely have the chance to sit there and listen to them. So, in fact, I don’t get to enjoy the full convenience of the battery amp (because my desktop dac needs to be there).

Now that C9 can be paired nicely with my DAPs, it should allow me to listen to my V2 much more often. :)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #703 of 6,212
Feb 2, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #704 of 6,212
We may never know, given @Andykong 's position on how his generalised post was not, in fact, generalisable.

🤣

See: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...able-headphone-amplifier.943135/post-16150666
Now one thing I may have to agree on is that while the C9 is awesome to have, it still doesn’t utilize the newest technologies, GAN! Pretty soon we will see them on the market for amplifications purposes, especially for dedicated hi-fi . The question is who it going to be ? First ? Or last ?

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #705 of 6,212
GAN! Pretty soon we will see them on the market for amplifications purposes, especially for dedicated hi-fi . The question is who it going to be ? First ? Or last ?

Oh i thought GaN was just about making smaller chargers - I imagine that someone is looking into it to see whether it sounds better too - any work on this you're aware of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back