Cavalli EHHA Embedded Hybrid Headphone Amp
Jun 13, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #541 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, its supposed to be fun! But there can be a few frustrating moments: I started to troubleshoot my broken EHHA board, hooked everything up, checked all the wiring, and still managed to reverse +/-30V. It's REALLY dead now...
rolleyes.gif

aah man...that sucks dude..

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #543 of 1,823
Could one of you guys measure a EHHA board and post the dimensions. I don't see the board size on the website, and I'd like to start planning the casework...

Thanks.
smile.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #547 of 1,823
From help by Sachu on deciding, I think the EHHA will be my Tube amp to compliment the B22 when I finish it. Very excited about this.

Deciding to go DIY was very smart considering I can build a B22 for the same price as a Compass AMP/DAC is really frustrating but good learn
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #549 of 1,823
Well, I originally thought I'd just go with AC heaters, but now I'm thinking about building a DC regulator, especially after reading Don's advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just my 2c

AC heaters can be used but because of the nature of this amp , the proto team even considered an S11 as an option for the heaters and not overkill . I would personally look at low noise DC supplies as default.

..dB

I've been looking at the options and in reading what Morgan Jones had to say about heater supplies, he brought up the topic of cathode poisoning. Since it sounds like the recommended startup sequence on this amp is to preheat the cathodes before B+ is applied, it seems like cathode poisoning may be relevant here. He lays out a fairly simple heater supply that uses an LM317T regulator and Schottky diodes, but is configured to output ~4 V on standby, and then kick in to 6.3 V when B+ is applied. He says that running the heater's at 63% of full power will reduce any ill effects during warmup.

Any thoughts on this, or practical experience in any other tube amps?

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #551 of 1,823
I really wouldnt bother with the low voltages on offer here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I originally thought I'd just go with AC heaters, but now I'm thinking about building a DC regulator, especially after reading Don's advice.

I've been looking at the options and in reading what Morgan Jones had to say about heater supplies, he brought up the topic of cathode poisoning. Since it sounds like the recommended startup sequence on this amp is to preheat the cathodes before B+ is applied, it seems like cathode poisoning may be relevant here. He lays out a fairly simple heater supply that uses an LM317T regulator and Schottky diodes, but is configured to output ~4 V on standby, and then kick in to 6.3 V when B+ is applied. He says that running the heater's at 63% of full power will reduce any ill effects during warmup.

Any thoughts on this, or practical experience in any other tube amps?

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #553 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I measured my heater transfo and it seems right on the mark and it lit the tubes fine so I'm not gonna fret over it. Alex does specify either way will do.

You are sure to have noise on the outputs this way. I did on mine and with orthos that too.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #554 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are sure to have noise on the outputs this way. I did on mine and with orthos that too.

Try connecting a small cap (.1uF) to ground on one of the heater pins. Also make sure heater leads are tightly twisted and not near any signal wiring.

x2 on Adamus comment. My understanding is that delaying the B+ is only necessary at much higher voltages.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #555 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by looser101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try connecting a small cap (.1uF) to ground on one of the heater pins. Also make sure heater leads are tightly twisted and not near any signal wiring.

x2 on Adamus comment. My understanding is that delaying the B+ is only necessary at much higher voltages.

yeah the way i have my heater wiring laid out, they pretty much go past the signal wires..hence i went with a LDO reg DC supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back