Cavalli EHHA Embedded Hybrid Headphone Amp
Nov 18, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #1,096 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question. I'm going to piggyback on. Is Gain, Gain? Is a gain of 5 on a B22 the same as a Gain of 5 on a EHHA?

yes... well, as long as you don't cause one to clip I suppose.

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #1,097 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those of you guys who are running balanced, what gain are you using?

I’m starting with 5.5 (total 11) balanced for my build, wiatrob was running this value with his balanced build.
I’m going to be socketing C2, C3, R13, R22 and R23 and have also included resistors between 2K and 1.5K for R13 for some experimenting.

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #1,098 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’m starting with 5.5 (total 11) balanced for my build, wiatrob was running this value with his balanced build.
I’m going to be socketing C2, C3, R13, R22 and R23 and have also included resistors between 2K and 1.5K for R13 for some experimenting.

What do you use for a socket?

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #1,099 of 1,823
Quote:

Great, sounds like a nice starting point. On another note, I was just about to order the Glassware PSU when I realized the shipping charge is almost the same as the board (ouch). Any chance I could modify a TREAD to work?

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #1,100 of 1,823
Quote:

Sounds good...Can't wait to see all these new builds take off and get some face melting impressions going.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

What do you use for a socket?

use this Les..

Quote:

Great, sounds like a nice starting point. On another note, I was just about to order the Glassware PSU when I realized the shipping charge is almost the same as the board (ouch). Any chance I could modify a TREAD to work?

I would rather suggest emplying a simple LDO voltage regulator (LD1085) for the job. You could build one for under 20$ capable of handing upto 5A in like 10 minutes.

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #1,102 of 1,823
Quote:

IC and Component sockets, that name makes sense!

Thanx!

These are what I use. I hatch them out one at a time by cutting one edge of the plastic. Then I fill the hole on the pcb with solder, pick up the socket with sharp tweezers and hold it against the pre-soldered hole and heat with an iron on the other side until it slips through. Remove iron and hold straight the socket until it cools and your done.
atsmile.gif

One note to make, while your shopping for these pin sockets. Look at the data sheet and make sure it is big enough to take the lead of whatever your planning on socketing. Usually for me it's a resistor or small feedback cap.

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #1,107 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am using this particular Peter Millet circuit for my heater supply that i put together on a perf board. Again, my heater circuit is capable of putting out 5A in regulated DC mode (8A in AC). So I can always scale my amp to balanced if I ever choose to by just adding two more amp boards.
DC_fil6.jpg

Was looking through the posts and found this. Might actually do a board layout of this myself. Is the L1 common mode really needed and if so, what value?

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #1,108 of 1,823
Quote:

Was looking through the posts and found this. Might actually do a board layout of this myself. Is the L1 common mode really needed and if so, what value?

The inductor is basically for additional filtering. That supply was meant for filament supply for DHT tubes, but it works great for a heater supply as well.

I can sink upto 5A with that circuit and it has worked flawlessly in my EHHA with a pair of 6H30P-DRs.

Would cost you about 15$ to rig it up..if U can, dew eet i say.
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #1,109 of 1,823
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The inductor is basically for additional filtering. That supply was meant for filament supply for DHT tubes, but it works great for a heater supply as well.

I can sink upto 5A with that circuit and it has worked flawlessly in my EHHA with a pair of 6H30P-DRs.

Would cost you about 15$ to rig it up..if U can, dew eet i say.
biggrin.gif

I weel dew eet
smily_headphones1.gif

I will skip the choke, add a meaty heatsink and a 5A LDO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back