Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 27, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #2,446 of 2,966

Grab a Schiit SYS for $50.  I bought one for exactly this reason (swapping between headphones and speakers) and it works great for that.  It's been a very handy tool and I'm thinking of grabbing a Schiit Saga just for a beefed up version.

Are you using it in reverse, i.e. to connect one source (DAC) to two outputs (speakers and headphone amp)? If so, how do you have it set up?

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #2,447 of 2,966

Are you using it in reverse, i.e. to connect one source (DAC) to two outputs (speakers and headphone amp)? If so, how do you have it set up?

I've used it in both directions.  It's passive so as long as the volume is maxed, you can use it backwards just fine (confirmed with Jason before I tried it though!).  Sometimes I use it when I'm testing amps so I can quickly A/B (one DAC, two amps).  Sometimes I use it when I'm testing DAC's if my amp doesn't have multiple inputs (two DAC's, one amp).

These days my amp (the LC!) has multiple inputs and a passthrough so I can do either test without the SYS.  But I still use it when I need a third input.  Seriously versatile device!

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #2,448 of 2,966

I've used it in both directions.  It's passive so as long as the volume is maxed, you can use it backwards just fine (confirmed with Jason before I tried it though!).  Sometimes I use it when I'm testing amps so I can quickly A/B (one DAC, two amps).  Sometimes I use it when I'm testing DAC's if my amp doesn't have multiple inputs (two DAC's, one amp).

These days my amp (the LC!) has multiple inputs and a passthrough so I can do either test without the SYS.  But I still use it when I need a third input.  Seriously versatile device!

Thanks for the tip, exactly the type of functionality I was looking and hoping for. Didn't know the SYS worked backwards - just another reason to be a Schiit fan I guess. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #2,449 of 2,966
just FYI but I'm selling my 1st gen carbon if anyone is interested 
beerchug.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831245/cavalli-liquid-carbon-1st-gen

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #2,450 of 2,966

On a similar note, as the LC has two SE inputs (RCA, 3.5mm) what happens if I connect two DACs at the same time?
I wanted to A/B test my Hugo and Mojo with the LC 2.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #2,451 of 2,966
On a similar note, as the LC has two SE inputs (RCA, 3.5mm) what happens if I connect two DACs at the same time?
I wanted to A/B test my Hugo and Mojo with the LC 2.

As long as they're not both playing at the same time, you should be fine.  I've had weird thing happen with both plugged in, though, that sometimes requires me to unplug one.  Most common is distortion and bass clipping.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #2,452 of 2,966
As long as they're not both playing at the same time, you should be fine.  I've had weird thing happen with both plugged in, though, that sometimes requires me to unplug one.  Most common is distortion and bass clipping.

In this case better to unplug each time when swapping DAC
Thanks a lot!

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #2,454 of 2,966
Hello I just got LC using my Alpha Primes. Can anyone tell me if it's a big difference between balanced and 1/4 se? I looking for balanced Dum cable but the seller just decided to sell to someone else cuz I didn't pay on time... I hope I'm not missing much...

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #2,455 of 2,966
Hello I just got LC using my Alpha Primes. Can anyone tell me if it's a big difference between balanced and 1/4 se? I looking for balanced Dum cable but the seller just decided to sell to someone else cuz I didn't pay on time... I hope I'm not missing much...

The balanced output on the LC provides significantly better performance than the SE output.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #2,456 of 2,966

It's a really big difference. Not the least of which is twice as much power coming out of the balanced output vs. the single ended.

The Primes sound great single ended, but the balance out definitely makes a difference.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #2,457 of 2,966
Just 75% of the power is all...:D
you are missing that is...

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #2,459 of 2,966
Many chances to come. Get your money together. It's a fun amp

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #2,460 of 2,966
Many chances to come. Get your money together. It's a fun amp

True. Just sold mine the other day to another HF friend. These will be passed on for generations... (okay, maybe not that long, but for a good while!!!). Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back