Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Nov 7, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #2,371 of 2,966
Ok just an update. They've been really good and in this instance and due to the nature of the issue are going to help me out a bit with shipping there and cover it back to me.

I'll be sending it over to them when they give me a RMA number/return address. Good thing I've got the original box!!

Accidents happen but this is the kind of after sale service that differentiates the good from the great and wins customers.

I seem to recall the same thing;  when 2 phones were plugged in.

I think I recall reading something like that too. I think in that instance guy had phones connected via XLR and plugged in an un-terminated (no phones connected) TRS to balanced adapter and it instantly caused similar issues.

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #2,372 of 2,966
Ok just an update. They've been really good and in this instance and due to the nature of the issue are going to help me out a bit with shipping there and cover it back to me.

I'll be sending it over to them when they give me a RMA number/return address. Good thing I've got the original box!!

Accidents happen but this is the kind of after sale service that differentiates the good from the great and wins customers.
I think I recall reading something like that too. I think in that instance guy had phones connected via XLR and plugged in an un-terminated (no phones connected) TRS to balanced adapter and it instantly caused similar issues.

I wish I could find the original post with this issue but unable to locate it. But at the time I decided to try 2 headphones plugged in and the amp was just fine. I have just tried it again. Have the HD800S connected XLR output and Ether connected SE output, no issue. Unplug Ether while music is playing, no problem. Just plug in XLR to SE adapter that is used for the Ether by itself with no Ether connected and HD800S still connected on XLR output, no issue with the amp. Tried these different scenarios several times. Even swapped the two headphones around on the different outputs. No problems/issues.

I'm confident to say that if one does develop an issue then it is an issue with the amp itself. I think some have thought it was a design flaw. Saw where some have been deathly afraid to have someone plug in two headphones at a once in fear of the amp having an issue and crapping out on them.  

phonyx, I do feel for you having to ship the amp all the way from Australia and it is nice to know that Cavalli is helping you out with that. One of the best things that Cavalli did for this amp, LC V1, was to give it lifetime warranty. Can't beat that for customer service. 

Have had both headphones plugged in for 25 minutes playing music, no issues.............

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #2,373 of 2,966
  I wish I could find the original post with this issue but unable to locate it. But at the time I decided to try 2 headphones plugged in and the amp was just fine. I have just tried it again. Have the HD800S connected XLR output and Ether connected SE output, no issue. Unplug Ether while music is playing, no problem. Just plug in XLR to SE adapter that is used for the Ether by itself with no Ether connected and HD800S still connected on XLR output, no issue with the amp. Tried these different scenarios several times. Even swapped the two headphones around on the different outputs. No problems/issues.

I'm confident to say that if one does develop an issue then it is an issue with the amp itself. I've saw where some have been deathly afraid to have someone plug in two headphones at a once in fear of the amp having an issue and crapping out on them.  

phonyx, I do feel for you having to ship the amp all the way from Australia and it is nice to know that Cavalli is helping you out with that. One of the best things that Cavalli did for this amp, LC V1, was to give it lifetime warranty. Can't beat that no for customer service. 

Have had both headphones plugged in for 25 minutes playing music, no issues.............

I think it's just an isolated incident.  Since I can only recall this and the other one early on in the thread.  Components can fail but as long as Cavalli stands by their product it's all good IMO.

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2,374 of 2,966

I'm confident to say that if one does develop an issue then it is an issue with the amp itself. I think some have thought it was a design flaw. Saw where some have been deathly afraid to have someone plug in two headphones at a once in fear of the amp having an issue and crapping out on them.  

phonyx, I do feel for you having to ship the amp all the way from Australia and it is nice to know that Cavalli is helping you out with that. One of the best things that Cavalli did for this amp, LC V1, was to give it lifetime warranty. Can't beat that for customer service. 

This was actually me back in April. I had an EtherC already connected to the XLR output and plugged in an HD800 to the SE output. The Carbon broke instantly and I was getting terrible bass clipping in both channels.

I emailed Alex and they paid for the shipping and had it back to me in a couple weeks. Here's a copy/paste from his email response "This has happened on some amps we think because of parts which may not meet their specs."

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #2,376 of 2,966
Thanks Rollinbr they've been good about it and I hope it can be easily repaired.

This was actually me back in April. I had an EtherC already connected to the XLR output and plugged in an HD800 to the SE output. The Carbon broke instantly and I was getting terrible bass clipping in both channels.

I emailed Alex and they paid for the shipping and had it back to me in a couple weeks. Here's a copy/paste from his email response "[COLOR=1F497D]This has happened on some amps we think because of parts which may not meet their specs."[/COLOR]

Ah it was you. Their response seems to make sense in as much as some components can handle the difficulty that plugging/unplugging a TRS plug with he amp outputting signal. Mine failed unplugging the TRS plug with the volume at zero so it's a little odd in that regard.

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #2,377 of 2,966
Hello folks,

As a possible owner of a first-gen liquid gen very soon, I am curious to know if all the first gen liquid carbons have humming issues, or whether it is just smaller isolated issue.

Sorry if this has been asked before, so thanks in advance.

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #2,380 of 2,966
Don't hum (that I notice) on my v1, single ended or balanced.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #2,381 of 2,966
Hello folks,

As a possible owner of a first-gen liquid gen very soon, I am curious to know if all the first gen liquid carbons have humming issues, or whether it is just smaller isolated issue.

Sorry if this has been asked before, so thanks in advance.

minu hums on SE output, and I believe all first gen units have this problem, especially if you use low impedance HP, I tried PM-3 and it hum like crazy.
Balanced output has no problems in it. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #2,382 of 2,966
No hums on my first gen 1 unit, whether in balanced or SE mode...  To be fair, the problem did indeed exist on some units, and their owners complained. Mine is, however, completely quiet in SE mode, but I cannot comment on how common the issue is among all the Gen 1 units.

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #2,385 of 2,966
Mine was sent back and the hum was drastically reduced. So if yours has a lot of noise you might consider contacting Cavalli.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back