Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Oct 22, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #2,356 of 2,966
Very interested in this amp after hearing one at RMAF and seeing a lot of LC 1s at good prices - anything to know about V1 vs V2?

Oct 22, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #2,357 of 2,966
Very interested in this amp after hearing one at RMAF and seeing a lot of LC 1s at good prices - anything to know about V1 vs V2?

V2 has an upgraded power supply that makes the single-ended output run quieter.

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #2,360 of 2,966
I have damaged my Liquid Carbon :frowning2:

I recently bought a second hand Liquid Carbon amp. I just bought a new DAC (Hugo TT) and tonight was comparing running DAC direct into my headphones and then switched to the Liquid Carbon (connected to the TT's XLR outs). When I removed the headphones plug from the Liquid Carbon, I thought I'd turned it off after I turned the volume down to zero but I didn't fully depress the button... I noticed the lights flicker on the unit when I unplugged it but didn't think anything of it right away and turned it off.

I listening to the DAC direct for a couple of minutes, then switched back to the LC - the sound was heavily distorted in the right channel. I've powered it down, tried different cables and DAC - no avail - it would appear merely unplugging the TRS plug from the amp with it powered on has damaged the Amp's the right channel.

I don't know if this is just a one off for me, but please guys be careful unplugging your phones - do not unplug the TRS jack with the amp is powered on even with the volume at zero! 

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #2,361 of 2,966

[COLOR=2B2E2F]I recently bought a second hand Liquid Carbon amp. I just bought a new DAC (Hugo TT) and tonight was comparing running DAC direct into my headphones and then switched to the Liquid Carbon (connected to the TT's XLR outs). When I removed the headphones plug from the Liquid Carbon, I thought I'd turned it off after I turned the volume down to zero but I didn't fully depress the button... I noticed the lights flicker on the unit when I unplugged it but didn't think anything of it right away and turned it off.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=2B2E2F]I listening to the DAC direct for a couple of minutes, then switched back to the LC - the sound was heavily distorted in the right channel. I've powered it down, tried different cables and DAC - no avail - it would appear merely unplugging the TRS plug from the amp with it powered on has damaged the Amp's the right channel.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=2B2E2F]I don't know if this is just a one off for me, but please guys be careful unplugging your phones - do not unplug the TRS jack with the amp is powered on even with the volume at zero! [/COLOR]

Simply unplugging your headphones should not have damaged your amp. Something else went wrong here. You should email Cavalli about the issue.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #2,362 of 2,966

I recently bought a second hand Liquid Carbon amp. I just bought a new DAC (Hugo TT) and tonight was comparing running DAC direct into my headphones and then switched to the Liquid Carbon (connected to the TT's XLR outs). When I removed the headphones plug from the Liquid Carbon, I thought I'd turned it off after I turned the volume down to zero but I didn't fully depress the button... I noticed the lights flicker on the unit when I unplugged it but didn't think anything of it right away and turned it off.

I listening to the DAC direct for a couple of minutes, then switched back to the LC - the sound was heavily distorted in the right channel. I've powered it down, tried different cables and DAC - no avail - it would appear merely unplugging the TRS plug from the amp with it powered on has damaged the Amp's the right channel.

I don't know if this is just a one off for me, but please guys be careful unplugging your phones - do not unplug the TRS jack with the amp is powered on even with the volume at zero! 

Simply unplugging your headphones should not have damaged your amp. Something else went wrong here. You should email Cavalli about the issue.

I've disconnected and reconnected my headphones and ciem, using the balanced jacks, with the LC power on, with no negative effect. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #2,363 of 2,966

I've disconnected and reconnected my headphones and ciem, using the balanced jacks, with the LC power on, with no negative effect. 

Same here. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #2,364 of 2,966
Maybe it's just my amp then? There was no music playing and volume was at zero. I usually don't hot swap anything (ie: I power things off before changing any cabling) and I meant to this time as well but it's late here and I just missed the button, but I've never heard of this blowing something before. 

I'm devastated. I'm from Australia and shipping it back to the US is going to be cost prohibitive. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #2,365 of 2,966
  Maybe it's just my amp then? There was no music playing and volume was at zero. I usually don't hot swap anything (ie: I power things off before changing any cabling) and I meant to this time as well but it's late here and I just missed the button, but I've never heard of this blowing something before. 

I'm devastated. I'm from Australia and shipping it back to the US is going to be cost prohibitive. 

This happened to someone early on with the first run.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #2,367 of 2,966
Mine is from the first batch, no similar problems with unplugging. You should be covered, but I get that shipping will make it not worthwhile.

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #2,370 of 2,966

Users who are viewing this thread

Back