Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Mar 6, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #1,667 of 2,966

I have a Bifrost MB on order and should receive it tomorrow, but I'm so tempted to order a Mojo and do my own comparison and return one or the other. 

If you do, I'd love to hear the results.  I love doing that kind of thing when I can afford it and I find it really helpful when others take the time to do the same.

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #1,668 of 2,966
I have a Bifrost MB on order and should receive it tomorrow, but I'm so tempted to order a Mojo and do my own comparison and return one or the other. 

I know a few people who have sold their Bifrost Multibit after hearing the Mojo.

I'd be interested in your thoughts as well. :wink_face:

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #1,669 of 2,966
@LepakVT - I found myself in the same predicament and I ended cancelling my order of the Bimby in favor of the Mojo even though I have not heard either one. This was just last night too. I found that I gravitated towards the specs and versatility over the Bimby thus far. I feel that I will like the portability aspect of the mojo and do not feel I would want to have the Bimby on 24/7 either as most say it is what is necessary to achieve its best SQ. Please report back on how the Bimby pairs for you as I will be all ears!

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #1,670 of 2,966
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/787608/cavalli-audios-liquid-carbon-owners-impressions/1635#post_12397210 layout=inline]Quote:[/CONTENTEMBED]

The Mojo and the LC play quite well together. It's easy to grab the Mojo from my setup and hit the road with it.

I would encourage you to do so. I found the Mojo to be the better of the two, but of course YMMV. To be fair, I'd recommend playing music through the Bimby continuously for about 7 days before making a critical judgement. I experienced noticeable changes until it hit about 160 hours or so. Mojo is much shorter.

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #1,671 of 2,966

I would encourage you to do so. I found the Mojo to be the better of the two, but of course YMMV. To be fair, I'd recommend playing music through the Bimby continuously for about 7 days before making a critical judgement. I experienced noticeable changes until it hit about 160 hours or so. Mojo is much shorter.

2X. Mojo is on the level of Gungnir Multibit and Dac 19.

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #1,673 of 2,966
  Thank You Stillhart
That was just the information I needed 

I'm running SE DAC and listening balanced with cable I just received for my Oppo PM-3. Only 24 hours into burn in on the LC and very very happy with the sound! Best the PM-3s have ever sounded. I'm still gathering info on the balanced DAC thing and which might work well. Have another balanced cable on order for my Senn 600s and excited to see what that does. Right now...heavenly!

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #1,674 of 2,966

+2

Whoa!! Fascinating. Will need to try those head to head! You guys own both, yes?

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #1,676 of 2,966

I am new to these forums and have a question about the Liquid Carbon. I currently have a my Liquid Carbon running with balanced cables from my Lumin A1 network player as a source and balanced headphone cables to my EtherC's . If I was to swich to a dac with single ended outputs and run a balanced cable to the Liquid Carbon from my preamp would I be still getting the best experience from my Cavalli headphone amp without a complete balanced path from source to headphones ? 

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet!

The LC is somewhat special in that it converts all SE inputs to balanced before amplifying the signal.  That means you can get all the benefits of balanced amplification when using an SE input.  

The question on whether or not you need balanced output from your DAC to get all the benefits of going "fully balanced" is... well I'll call it subjective.  Some people are big believers in it and others not so much.  I use an SE DAC and I love it.  I've also used a balanced DAC where I couldn't tell the difference between balanced and SE on the LC.  I've also used a balanced DAC where the balanced output sounded noticeably better than the SE output (with the LC).  

At the end of the day, when using the LC, how good your DAC is will be more important that whether it's balanced or not.
In my case, I think it's mostly the matter of the higher output of my DAC-1 with the balanced out. It's not necessarily that it's balanced, just a stronger signal.

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #1,677 of 2,966
Hi Guys,

I got an answer from Alex regarding my question for the SE hum.

See below:

My email:

~~~
Hi Alex,

First off, I wanted to say its great work you do with the Cavalli amps and its fantastic what you did with the liquid carbon so that some of us with lower budgets could get to experience your designs.

I'm the proud new owner of #XXXand have been having a wonderful time listening to it.

My audio chain is PC-> Matrix X-Saber -> Liquid Carbon.

I normally listen to it from the big XLR balance out plugs or the kobiconn out plug to a parid of LCD-XC.

Recently I plugged in a pair of Shure SE845 into the SE input and got a humming noise at low or zero volume.

This hum is present despite me changing power cables, XLR / RCA inputs, even with nothing but power plugged in there is still a hum.

I was wondering if you could advise if this is an issue with my amp (and if so how to get rid of the hum!) or is it be design supposed to have this hum with sensitive iems?

look forward to hearing from you soon!

~~~

Alex's reply
~~~
Hi Negatron. There is a higher noise floor on the SE out. This means that some sensitive IEMs may hear that noise and some less sensitive ones won’t. If your IEMs are sensitive to the SE noise the only next step would be to run them out of the balanced out where the noise floor is much lower.

Please let us know how you do.

~~~

So I guess that's it, I'll try plug in some less sensitive phones into the SE out and see if there is still a hum.

but looks like i'll need to make up more balanced cables.

or time to sell the IEMs

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #1,678 of 2,966
It's not a hiss that I hear from the single ended out. It's flat out a hum and it gets louder the longer I listen to the SE output during a session. When I power down then power up again it starts out low and gets louder again over time. This is not amplifier noise floor hiss and doesn't change in amplitude when the volume is raised like hiss does. I'll have to email Cavalli about it but I keep forgetting because I usually listen through the balanced output.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #1,680 of 2,966
It's not a hiss that I hear from the single ended out. It's flat out a hum and it gets louder the longer I listen to the SE output during a session. When I power down then power up again it starts out low and gets louder again over time. This is not amplifier noise floor hiss and doesn't change in amplitude when the volume is raised like hiss does. I'll have to email Cavalli about it but I keep forgetting because I usually listen through the balanced output.

I was feeding my LC from the DC-1 balanced out and had the same thing listening to the SE out.  Then I connected the RCA out from the DC-1 to the LC and it went away.  Since I use the RCA out the DC-1 to my Littledot MKIV I just took a wire and wrapped it around one of the RCA outputs of the DC-1 and the input of the LC and I no longer have the hum.  It's now dead silent like the Balanced out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back