Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 30, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #962 of 2,966
Have to admit, I found the LC pretty meh when I first hooked it up. But every time I listen to it, the sound just keeps getting better. Nas' Illmatic has never sounded this good!!!

P.S. I'm not continuously burning it in, I'm listening to it in 1-2 hour bursts. Will enjoy the burn in over the next couple of months.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #963 of 2,966
I'm probably 100 hrs in or so. Sound is better I think...not huge margins, just a bit more cohesive and sweet sounding overall. Bass has been great for me since day one, so I'm not hearing huge differences there. If I were to pick on one specific area of excellence (and there are more than one), I'd say it's the separation that astounds me. I'm an ex-musician so tend to listen to individual instruments in the scheme of the overall mix, and the LC excels for that. 

It's just such a musical amp.....I probably would have stopped at this amp, had I not pushed the button 6 months ago on a DNA stratus amp. Will be interesting to compare!

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #965 of 2,966
Has anyone had a chance to compare different power cables? Any recommendations and differences you've noticed on the LC?

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #966 of 2,966
Has anyone had a chance to compare different power cables? Any recommendations and differences you've noticed on the LC?

popcorn.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #969 of 2,966

I have! The ridiculous Pangea cable is too stiff, and moves the LC to the side unless I tie it down.

The power cable from my old Carvin B-1500 bass amp works perfectly.

:p

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #970 of 2,966
I use the Pangea, it is stiff and heavy, but hasn't been a big problem. Haven't compared to other power cords, May be better ones out there, but haven't got the time or energy for it...

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #971 of 2,966
I'm using a power cable I got from decware. I didn't buy it for the LC, but I was switching cables around on my other gear and had that one spare. Sounds great to me, but any decent quality cable will be fine. I'm in the camp of....really makes no audible difference to 99% of people. The other 1% are kidding themselves!

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #974 of 2,966

Not positive but 1x gain full volume should match your dac's output level.  Obviously will be loud so be careful!

I think you are correct, thanks. Assuming 1x means 1x the input, 0 dB should be when the volume control is at 100% in that mode. I think I'l email Cavalli after the holidays and try to find out for certain.

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #975 of 2,966
I use the Pangea, it is stiff and heavy, but hasn't been a big problem. Haven't compared to other power cords, May be better ones out there, but haven't got the time or energy for it...

Yeah, I'm kinda wondering how a cord like the Pangea or Audioquest compares to the typical $10 monoprice. On some stuff it doesn't matter so much, but if I could squeeze out just a little extra performance in terms of microdynamics I'd be very pleased.

It tends to become slightly greyer at lower volume (which is all Class-A operation), hence my theory that the cable may be the remedy.

I'll probably just end up buying a better cable anyway.

*edit - I said "macro" by mistake. I meant microdynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back