Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 27, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #856 of 2,966
  I got to hear @dusk's Crimson, and @jude's Carbon proto and Ether's at a meet.  I remember really liking the Crimson, and of course loved the Carbon and Ether.  As to the tubes, I read the stock Genelec is good, and that there is a particular Telefunken that is excellent.  I'll probably track a couple of those down (one for spare), and call it good.

My suspicion is that I will find the Crimson better than the Carbon.  I also suspect that the Carbon will be much closer to the Crimson than the price difference would have one think.

popcorn.gif

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #857 of 2,966
I also really liked the LC with the HE500 right out of the box. I read on another tread that you can email HiFiMAN customer service and order an HE560 replacement headband for $50 and install it right on your HE500.

Thanks.  I don't really find the headband itself too uncomfortable though... It is more just the weight (compression of neck) of the HE-500... And now with the LC I can end up using this combo for 5-8 hours in a day sometimes lol. This really noticeable when I move or tilt my head, it just seems to almost wants to flop over from the extra weight.  

There are two other LC threads for talking about shipping updates.  I suggest we keep this one strictly about impressions.

If you like the Nighthawk and HD650, two of the darkest headphones around, I suspect you'll find the HD800 too bright with ANYTHING.

He's 1,422 posts on the subject of DAC pairings with the LC:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/763905/finding-a-dac-for-the-cavalli-liquid-carbon-only-four-months-to-go

Personally, I suggest the Audio-GD DAC-19.  You will definitely not notice bass lacking.  Might be too warm for the TH-xxx series, which I find way too bassy to begin with, but YMMV of course.

True.. I think another example of this is I really never enjoyed my SE-846 until I paired them with my Mojo, which really seamed to add some mid bass/warmth too them. Up until the Mojo I did not think they were worth the purchase, now I really enjoy this combo.  
So yes, I would think the HD800 would be too bright for me, BUT I have not heard the HD650/Nighthawk yet. I do find the HE-500 is as bright as I really can enjoy for me personally, and at times I would like slightly darker/warmer.  But I do not want BLOATED uncontrolled bass either and I'm hoping these will provide a rich, relaxing sound sig.

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #858 of 2,966
  I got to hear @dusk's Crimson, and @jude's Carbon proto and Ether's at a meet.  I remember really liking the Crimson, and of course loved the Carbon and Ether.  As to the tubes, I read the stock Genelec is good, and that there is a particular Telefunken that is excellent.  I'll probably track a couple of those down (one for spare), and call it good.

My suspicion is that I will find the Crimson better than the Carbon.  I also suspect that the Carbon will be much closer to the Crimson than the price difference would have one think.

if you were only going to buy one more amp for the rest of your life... grab the crimson.. but, I don't think that's the case. :)

I would get the carbon (especially if you're grabbing ethers), which will give you the freedom to try a bunch of other gear... crimson will lock you in with its price.. and difficulty selling in the future.

I love my carbon, and will be grabbing some Ethers... altho I am debating selling it already to consolidate and get an all in one interface from Prism Sound.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #859 of 2,966
I got to hear @dusk
's Crimson, and @jude
's Carbon proto and Ether's at a meet.  I remember really liking the Crimson, and of course loved the Carbon and Ether.  As to the tubes, I read the stock Genelec is good, and that there is a particular Telefunken that is excellent.  I'll probably track a couple of those down (one for spare), and call it good.

The difference is pretty significant, IMO, and that is in no way a knock to the Carbon! The Crimson is an unshakable beauty. An absolute work of art.

As for tubes, the stock Gold Lion is pretty good. Certainly a great value. However, there are several options available that should really knock your socks off.

I really like the '62 and '63 Dario Miniwatt 188CC tubes from the Philips Harleen, Holland factory. They are regarded by many to have the best bass of all 6922-type tubes. They are extremely exciting and dynamic sounding with lovely vocals and great impact.

The late 60's Telefunken E88CC tubes from Ulm, Germany are the ticket if you want maximum smoothness and soft, sweet mids. I've always found this tube to be a great combo with the HD800. I believe there is also a 188CC version available that is ultra rare and ultra expensive ($450 IRRC), but is supposed to be one of the best 6922-type tubes ever made.

I also know that the Russian made '74 Reflektor with the single wire getter post is often referred to as the "Holy Grail" of 6922-type tubes. I know it came out as grand champion of rb2013's massive 6922 shootout. I have not tried it personally, but Bob is a pretty reputable subject matter expert on these tubes. I believe this one is notable for being extremely airy and spacious.

Rb2013's tube shootout and the Schiit Lyr tube rollers thread are particularly good sources of info on tubes of this type, if you are looking to do more research.

Congrats on the Crimson! :)

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #860 of 2,966

How significant was the Wyred in rounding off the treble?
I guess I should research the option if I decide to sell the Dac 19 and just go with the Mojo.

I wouldn't say it completely transformed the Hugo, but it definitely took it a notch up. Worth every penny of the $100 asking price. Think of it like putting on a tie with a suit, it completes the look. So the best way to describe it would be to say the Wyrd completes the Hugo by smoothing out the rough edges with the treble. Mind you, a bad recording is still a bad recording, but on most others, especially my mp3s on iTunes, it made a massive difference.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #861 of 2,966
I am now the proud owner of a pair of HD800's. Never thought I'd see the day I'd buy a pair of these -- for the most part, I have really never liked them much at all until I sampled them one night with the Liquid Carbon.  

I'm blown away really, I had expected the Liquid Carbon to be good, but it's much better than I expected. A great buy for $599. It wipes the floor with the HeadRoom Max '05, IMO, which retailed at about $1600 USD 9-10 years ago.

It's edging closer and closer to the sound signature I crave. TBH, It is not like most SS amps I've heard. Perhaps the Liquid Crimson is on the horizon for the future...

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #862 of 2,966
Based on what EQ i was using i would dare to say 10 dB was being conservative.

I plan to finish letting the LC burn in before I make my conclusion and if it was simply that, it will have certainly made me a believer, however it was so prominent that i was surprised that i hadnt seen it commented on.
You haven't seen it because it's not typical, nor desirable and no amount of burn in could fix something like that.
Don't fall for the myth. If there is that much of a deviation from the signal it's clearly defective. Yes the SE has less power but it's FR response measured flat by another user, nor would any competent designer/engineer would shoot for anything else regardless of operation mode. I would contact Cavalli on this.

Edit: I see you have changed things around, so it is maybe with the source, but like you I'm baffled how a DAC could make that much quantifiable difference, when supplying voltage to a certain amp.
The only thing I can think is the amp's input impedance, but it's a pure speculation at this point.
BTW I can recommend the Z DAC from Parasound which has balanced and SE outputs, no FR anomalies there with that DAC . :wink:

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #863 of 2,966
I am now the proud owner of a pair of HD800's. Never thought I'd see the day I'd buy a pair of these -- for the most part, I have really never liked them much at all until I sampled them one night with the Liquid Carbon.  

I'm blown away really, I had expected the Liquid Carbon to be good, but it's much better than I expected. A great buy for $599. It wipes the floor with the HeadRoom Max '05, IMO, which retailed at about $1600 USD 9-10 years ago.

It's edging closer and closer to the sound signature I crave. TBH, It is not like most SS amps I've heard. Perhaps the Liquid Crimson is on the horizon for the future...

I'm really happy to hear that @ f0oster ! I am really considering the purchase of the HD800 S and am glad to hear that the LC is synergistic with it. I am going to a Head-if meet in Phoenix, AZ and am going to hopefully hear the HD800 in SE termination paired with the LC.

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #864 of 2,966

Waiting for the early and later impressions 
popcorn.gif
 i heard that this model got better bass since it goes tad deeper, and the treble got more refined. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #865 of 2,966

You are talking "HD800" and not "HD800 S" right?

Dec 28, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #866 of 2,966
  Waiting for the early and later impressions 
popcorn.gif
 i heard that this model got better bass since it goes tad deeper, and the treble got more refined. 

Just to clarify, it is the HD800, not the HD800s, sorry if that was confusing!
  You are talking "HD800" and not "HD800 S" right?

Yeah, the HD800.

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #868 of 2,966
Wish they would name the new one something else, its gonna get real confusing real quick... :confused_face:

Yeah, I mean they only had 25 other letters to choose from... (Well, maybe 24... The HD800O would be both confusing and visually repulsive as a name.) Can we all agree to stop using "S" please?

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #869 of 2,966
Yeah, I mean they only had 25 other letters to choose from... (Well, maybe 24... The HD800O would be both confusing and visually repulsive as a name.) Can we all agree to stop using "S" please?

Any suggestion?
I know when referencing the HE-400S (with similar naming issue) people often call it the 2015 release. Could you say HD800S 2015 update? Kinda long though... 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back