Cavalli Audio Liquid Cobalt
Dec 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #16 of 33
Oh, I forgot to mention that if anyone wants to keep up with this please email to liquidcobalt@cavalliaudio.com.

I'll try to make updates when there is progress made.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #17 of 33
  Maybe you'll one day consider a red faceplate option, because the red faceplate looks simply stunning, especially with the Q-Audio cable. 

For some reason the face plate shows way more red than it actually is.  As Alex said it is actually more a maroon color.  The wife loves it.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #18 of 33
I have logged some big hours with the Cobalt and listened to all my system testing music multiple times as well as listening fun and here are a few of my impressions:

Here's a sample of what I've been listening to:

Beethoven's 9th Von Karajan/Berlin Philharonic (multiple versions).  Especially the last minute in which I believe is the ultimate test of a system with weight, force, chorals and timpani.
Miles Davis Kind of Blue: multiple versions but the new 24/192 download kills them all.
Mark Nauseef With Space in Mind: A crazy percussion recording with big DR
The Who Quadrophenia 24/96 vinyl rip Classic Records
The Beatles catalog from USB 24 bit stick
The Rolling Stones Let it Bleed and Beggars Banquet SACD rips
Pink Floyd The Wall MFSL Gold disc,  DSOTM MFSL gold disc
The Beach Boys Pet Sounds in 24/192
King Crimson: all 40th Steven Wilson re-mixes in 24/96
Keith Jarrett: The Sun Bear Concerts, Solo Concerts: Bremen/Lausanne
Larry Coryell Introducing the Eleventh House

The Liquid Cobalt is quite an amp and much more resolving than my Liquid Fire.  I easily found myself lost in the music plus enjoying all the audiophile markings as well: sound stage, imaging, bass definition, highs.  It never disappointed.  The Cobalt totally delivered on my audio test of how bass presents itself with impact, speed, and no bloat and low register notes.  Drums and percussion have force behind them.Vocals never smeared on symphonic choral pieces.  I never got any smear in big choral passages.  I have a number of live Jeff Beck recordings where I was pulling off the phones because it sounded like someone was in the room with  me.

This is a wonderful amp I can’t imagine anyone not finding audio nirvana especially at this price level.  All my listening was done with my LCD2.2's and from what I've read the LCDX would probably be killer with this.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #19 of 33
Heard the Liquid Cobalt prototype last weekend with the Cantata and Alpha Dogs. Cheaper to tube roll for sure with only 1 tube this time.

As it was just a meet and with music I wasn't familiar with I won't say anything for sure, but it was the nicest I had heard the Alpha Dogs. Previously the best was on Dan's own table with the Liquid Glass and a DAC I can't remember. There was better control, more air, bigger soundstage. I'm pretty sure the Cantata is in a different league than the DAC Dan was using, so that might be some of it.

Anyway, the amp looks nice with a small port hole in the top for access to the tube, and no more show-off window in the front. I particularly like the feel of the volume knobs on the latest Cavalli stuff. Some of the older ones were stiffer.

Since I didn't have my GS-X (still) I didn't bother doing a big comparison on the spot with the Cobalt and Gold, but I will next time.

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #21 of 33
The amp is currently being auditioned by an individual. It will be at the Bay Area meet in a couple of weeks. Maybe we can get a good photo there.

However, on the prototype unit the rear panel has no silkscreen. So what's on the back are the power inlet and input jacks. Two inputs and one loop out.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #23 of 33
Yes, that's a pretty good shot of the back. As you all know the top and front are now very different. If you go here and look at the second photo you can see the silo on the top where the tube sits, the CA badge and so forth...

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/head-fi-meet-in-austin-tx-1-18-14/

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #24 of 33
Will it replace the Liquid Glass ??  In other words... should I wait if I was tempted by a Liquid Glass (I am NOT a tube rolling fan)

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #25 of 33
Liquid Cobalt is intended as a replacement for the Liquid Fire. We are taking it around to shows to get feedback from the community on its capability as an amp. So far the response has been pretty good. We haven't made a production decision though so I can't yet state availability.

May 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #26 of 33
Alex kindly sent me the LC for an audition. As mentioned, above, it is solidly built and an impressive looking piece of gear. I like the ease of access to the single tube, the soft on/off switch, and the gain options. The volume pot is a smooth operator, too. 

The LC sound quality was immediately apparent and has not disappointed with the music genres I typically gravitate towards: straight ahead jazz, female jazz vocals, some classic rock, alternative, chill, and classical orchestra.

I'm currently going through my test tunes with LC paired with PM-1, LCD2 v.1, HE-6, Abyss, LCD3, LCD-X, and HD-800. I hope to have another top amp or two for comparisons, soon. Impressions to follow. 

May 11, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #27 of 33
Dr. Alex Cavalli kindly sent me his prototype Liquid Cobalt (LCo) amplifier for audition. I had it for four weeks.  

Visually - Liquid Cobalt Looks Impressive

LCo's Build Quality is Rock Solid.

Thick black panels
Perfect seams
Engraved fonts
Soft touch On/Off switch
LED indicators
High/Low gain 
Smooth volume mechanism
Differential hybrid SS and Tube design

Sonically – Liquid Cobalt Sounds Impressive

LCo’s sound quality is astounding. It delivers The Best clarity I’ve ever heard across the entire frequency spectrum.

Definition, texture, and speed
Black background, wide sound stage, and fine imaging
Wonderful midrange vocals and acoustic instruments
Palpable sub-bass with multiple layers 
Treble  “air and shimmer” presented with finesse

I heard micro-details in music I know very well that I’ve never before heard from HE-6, LCD2, LCD-X, LCD-3, PM-1, Abyss, and HD-800. LCo drove all these headphones with ease and authority.  

Decisively – Liquid Cobalt Is Impressive

As one of my audiophile friends told me after auditioning LCo, “the Liquid Cobalt is an absolutely phenomenal amplifier.” I agree.

May 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #28 of 33
Thanks for your feedback.  

--> Do you know if Dr. Alex Cavalli finally decided to produce it or is still hesitating

Also can you tell us what DAC did you used for your Tests ?

AGRHHHH... your very positive feed back make my hesitate again: Should I wait for the  Liquid Cobalt (IF released) or get the Eddie Current 4-45 (bellow) that I already pre-ordered ??

May 30, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #30 of 33
Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sonically – Liquid Cobalt Sounds Impressive

LCo’s sound quality is astounding. It delivers The Best clarity I’ve ever heard across the entire frequency spectrum.

Definition, texture, and speed
Black background, wide sound stage, and fine imaging
Wonderful midrange vocals and acoustic instruments
Palpable sub-bass with multiple layers 
Treble  “air and shimmer” presented with finesse

I heard micro-details in music I know very well that I’ve never before heard from HE-6, LCD2, LCD-X, LCD-3, PM-1, Abyss, and HD-800. LCo drove all these headphones with ease and authority.  

Decisively – Liquid Cobalt Is Impressive

As one of my audiophile friends told me after auditioning LCo, “the Liquid Cobalt is an absolutely phenomenal amplifier.” I agree.

Hmm, sounds like it might be a tough call between the Liquid Cobalt and the Liquid Gold...  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back