Causes of ringing ears other than loud sound?
Jun 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent about a week away from my rig and have been having a short ring in my ears (both) for about 2 seconds. It's happened about 2 times in the past week.

I very occasionally get ringing that lasts for a few seconds as you described. I don't consider it related to what most people would consider tinnitus, and I don't think it's a big deal. I doubt you could link it to any external factor.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #17 of 22
There are various causes for Tinnitus such as hearing loss, loud noise, medicines and other health problems, including as high blood pressure. Check out Facts About Tinnitus.

Tinnitus often starts infrequently and worsens over time. You may hear ringing for a few hours, say in the evening, and wake up fine but this often is a sign of a progressive problem.

I have been suffering from Tinnitus in both ears for years as a result of anesthesia. I recommend anyone questioning their hearing to see a doctor for a definitive answer to their situation. As for those of us who already suffer, we share some interesting company ... Famous People with Tinnitus.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #19 of 22
I went to the ENT today and he said he couldnt pin it down to anything in particular but thinks it may be a side effect of my surgery when I was younger.
It's starting to be more frequent and longer durations now and I fear it may break into permenant tinnitus (leaving me with two kinda of tinnitus simultaneously).
At the moment I'm not so worried about it as I am still very grateful that I can hear, although I think I might try to lower the volume even more when I listen.

I've had a buildup of pressure behind my ears recently (and I am also unable to pop my ears because of the surgery) and that may also be the culprit.

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #20 of 22
You got a much more difninitive answer than most people do, including me. I had the state expert tell me, "You have Tinnitus" and walk out the door. Brilliant eh? Glad I didn't pay that bill. As long as it doesn't get worse, I can adjust. Hope yours doesn't get worse either. Would suck not to be able to listen to music anymore.

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #21 of 22
Sustained noises, even if quiet, over a long period of time (several hours) can also contribute to tinnitus. Sleeping next to a fan or with other noises isn't a good thing.

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #22 of 22
Sensorineural hearing loss
PresbycusisLate-onset
Acoustic neuroma
congenital hearing loss
Noise-induced hearing loss
IdiopathicVascular insufficiency
Small vessel disease
Hypercoagulable states
Hypercholesterolemia
Diabetic vasculopathy
Hypertension
Sickle cell anemia
Other anemias
Bone disease: Fibrous dysplasia,Paget's disease,Osteogenesis imperfecta,
Otosclerosis
Central nervous system anomalies
Sarcoid
Pseudotumor cerebri
Vascular malformations
Tumor
Stroke
Multiple sclerosis
Infections: Rubella,Neurosyphilis,Lyme disease,MeningitisChronic, otitis media,Measles,Cytomegalovirus,
Metabolic disorders: Thyroid disease,Diabetes mellitus,Chronic renal failure,Hyperparathyroidism,
Autoimmune disease: Autoimmune inner ear disease (not always associated with systemic autoimmune disease),Rheumatoid arthritis,Systemic lupus erythematosus
Cochlear injury,
Salicylates
Antibiotics
Loop diuretics
Platinum-based chemotherapy
Meniere's syndrome
Trauma
Drugs: Aminoglycoside antibiotics, Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, Antimalarial drugs (eg, chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine)Benzodiazepines,Bismuth,Calcium channel blockers,Carbamazepine,Chlordiazepoxide,Cisplatin, Clarithromycin,COX-2 inhibitors,Cyclobenzaprine,Dapsone,Doxazosin,Doxep in,Fluoroquinolone antibiotics,Isotretinoin,Lidocaine and other local anesthetics
Loop diuretics,Nitroprusside,Prazosin,Proton pump inhibitors,Quinidine,Salicylates and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs),Sertraline,Sibutramine,Tricyclic antidepressants,Tolbutamide
(from UpDate.com)
Oh! and dont forget to include Oldblueeyez favorite cause!!!
jecklinsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back