Causal headphone to tame Loudness War casualties and streaming music?
Aug 26, 2015 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

burkerg

New Head-Fier
Hi, all -

So...  I'm sure we all know a ton of new music (indie, pop, EDM, etc.) is mastered/mixed terribly.  I currently have the HD800/HDVD800 comb, and while it makes well-mastered recordings sound hypnotic, it lays bare all the problems in casualties of the Loudness War.  Not only does this stuff sound terrible, it's also fatiguing and sometimes painful.

I'm looking for a casual (preferably Bluetooth) headphone to pair with my iPhone that will tame some of this new music that I love but can't stand to listen to on my high-end setup.  All my files are lossless, but lately, I've also been playing around with the new Apple Music service, specifically the Beats 1 radio, so camouflaging (or at least not revealing in crystalline clarity) the flaws in streaming music is also something I'm hoping to accomplish.

I figured I'd start with what tons of people who listen to this kind of stuff are using...  Beats.  I never thought I'd buy a pair of Beats headphones, but after reading Tyll's review of the Solo 2's, I decided to put my prejudices aside and give them a shot.  I grabbed a pair of the Solo 2 Wireless from my local Apple Store and have been using them for about a week now.  Initially, I was really put off by the sound, but I've adjusted to it and come to appreciate it for what it is.  These headphones allow me to listen to crappy recordings without wincing in pain...at least due to my eardrums.  My outer ears are another story, however.  I still haven't adjusted to the clamping pressure.

Well, yesterday, I got fed up with the pressure on my ears and ordered a pair of Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless headphones.  I overnighted them, and I've been listening off and on for about five hours now.  Perhaps I need to adjust to the sound, but so far, I'm not crazy about them.  They don't do much to tame the piercing qualities of the music I'm trying to find a way to enjoy, and the streaming stuff sounds noticeably worse on these than on the Beats.  Additionally, a lot of music sounds strangely far away with these...like the music is being played down a long hallway from me.  That's the best description I've come up with so far.  We'll see if I can adjust to the sound quality of these like with the Beats, but my initial impressions lead me to think Sennheiser is not the best company to turn to with my stated goals (I also have a pair of Momentum on-ears that haven't done anything to take the edge off problem music).

So here I am...wondering what you guys use to enjoy music that has been slaughtered by the Loudness Wars or by streaming services.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading and for any input!

Rob

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 2
So you're looking for a regular pair of headphones,
preferably over-ear and wireless.
headphones that distort the audio in a way that hides the flaws of the music and still makes it enjoyable?
if so most headphones like the ones you are looking at should work.
the tracks that are recorded badly are sometimes mastered to work with low quality speakers.
You should try just going to stores with racks of headphones you can try.
I don't know about stores near you, but for me, Best Buy, London Drugs, and the Apple Store all have racks of headphones available for testing.
If you live near Vancouver I know two great places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back