Caught the Audiophile Bug
Dec 29, 2014 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DissonantChord

New Head-Fier
Hey all! I've been lurking the forums recently, as I have been on a quest for...sound? Good sound, obviously.
Christmas gifts will bring on that kind of inspiration, I suppose :p

I listen to a lot of very noisy, grungy rock music. So I want to slowly build myself a rig that can make the music I listen to "sparkle" with clarity, while still maintaining a treble response that isn't shrill, with a tight, definitely not muddy, low end. I guess I sound like I know what I'm talking about (even though I really don't) because I play guitar, and fool around with gear all the time.

Anyway, I'm thinking of using my new phone, a Sharp Aquos Crystal (with Harman Kardon Clari-fi) as a starting point. It's not as gimmicky as it sounds, I promise.
Next, I'm thinking of purchasing the JBL Jembe 2.0 speakers to use with the phone as a first "channel." I figure that I can use the Bluetooth from the phone as a means of adding more speakers/woofers/sound bars/God knows what, as I gain more knowledge of audiophile-grade equipment.

With the addition of more speakers and such, will an amp be needed?

I'm going to use this setup alongside a laptop, just to keep things a bit simple, while leaving myself open to even more creative ways to expand on this. In time, I may want to begin to do professional recordings of myself if a band ever comes to fruition.

Is this a good direction to go in? Something about using a phone and relatively cheap laptop speakers as a starting point seems unorthodox, so I'm just wondering what your thoughts are. Cheers : )

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't know if I would call $60 PC speakers "audiophile"... :p

Regardless of what small computer speaker manufacturers try to tell you, you cannot get "desk thumping" sound from a tiny desktop speaker driver. Physics still applies, and any device generating sound must follow the physical laws. I am guessing the 80-20KHz spec on those speakers is VERY generous. First rule of audio: A frequency response spec without a +/- dB range or a graph is completely useless and should be ignored.

I am a bit confused by how you are going to use bluetooth from your phone to add speakers?? How exactly are you planning to connect your phone to these JBL speakers?

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, the JBL speakers have an auxiliary 3.5mm input. I liked the idea that these have a built-in amp, because I've tried connecting DAP's directly to speakers in the past, wondering why barely any sound was coming out @_@

As far as adding onto this laptop/DAP rig, I was thinking of getting a wireless soundbar to place in between the two speakers. For now, though, I am in the market for a good set of 2.0 speakers so that I can add my own sub-woofer. I like the idea of customization, and adding components from different brands as I go.

Thanks for your reply : )

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 7
  Well, the JBL speakers have an auxiliary 3.5mm input. I liked the idea that these have a built-in amp, because I've tried connecting DAP's directly to speakers in the past, wondering why barely any sound was coming out @_@

As far as adding onto this laptop/DAP rig, I was thinking of getting a wireless soundbar to place in between the two speakers. For now, though, I am in the market for a good set of 2.0 speakers so that I can add my own sub-woofer. I like the idea of customization, and adding components from different brands as I go.

Thanks for your reply : )

Mixing speakers like that without a receiver will lead to many problems, such as phase delay, etc etc. Also mixing speakers from different brands will lead to mismatched sound signatures. Although subwoofer is another story, and usually a sub from another brand is recommended. Not all companies can make good speakers AND good subwoofers lol. I think you are ambitious and have some good ideas and motivations, but I recommend doing more research, especially about a desktop setup for your speakers and amps and such before proceeding. And ... sorry about your wallet ...

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 7
Here's my advice:

Connect your phone to this amp:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

Then to these speakers:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652

Later, buy this sub, and move the speakers so they are connected to this sub so you can use the sub's crossover:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

If you then want multichannel sound, replace the stereo amp with a multichannel home theater receiver and add more pairs of the Dayton Audio speakers.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for your replies. I had no idea that you could get speakers like that at such a low price. One last question:
I have an 8" Weber Blue Pup speaker, in an enclosure, that I use for practice. It has a ceramic magnet (there's a lot of debate in the guitar community as to whether alnico or ceramic speakers are "better"). Just for fun, if I buy this amp, how do you think a speaker like this would hold up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back