Cats and cables!
Jan 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
These two make look innocent. But, they are interconnect chewing machines. One of them chewed up another pair of my irreplaceable siver/ gold alloy hybrid IC's today. I just sent Zach/ Enigma Audio a pair of Gold alloy IC's they chewed completely through a few weeks ago. Before that, they dined on a couple Oehlbach Senn cables, a pair of gold alloy IC's, a silver hybrid IC and yet another gold alloy IC. Can anybody think of something I can put on the cables to discourage this behavoir? Nothing poison obviously .... but something that would taste really bad. I am going to try the bitter lime gel used to keep dogs from chewing on furniture first.

HPIM0187-1.jpg

HPIM0548.jpg

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 21
Wowza. We have a Siberian cat (they can grow to 30 pounds, all muscle) who feasts on my speaker grilles. I was able to get him to leave my cables alone by spraying them with Hagen Cat repellant a few times. It's foul stuff but ought not to damage your cables. You can test it out on a section first.

good luck,

o

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These two make look innocent. But, they are interconnect chewing machines. One of them chewed up another pair of my irreplaceable siver/ gold alloy hybrid IC's today. I just sent Zach/ Enigma Audio a pair of Gold alloy IC's they chewed completely through a few weeks ago. Before that, they dined on a couple Oehlbach Senn cables, a pair of gold alloy IC's, a silver hybrid IC and yet another gold alloy IC. Can anybody think of something I can put on the cables to discourage this behavoir? Nothing poison obviously .... but something that would taste really bad. I am going to try the bitter lime gel used to keep dogs from chewing on furniture first.

HPIM0187-1.jpg

HPIM0548.jpg

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of bengal kittens myself and have had decent luck with a product called Bitter Apple ( Grannick's Bitter Apple ). You can find it at Petsmart or just about any pet store.

DSCN1798.JPG

Happy Listening!

What beautiful kittens!

Ok - sorry for the off topic comment - I just couldn't resist
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 21
[size=x-small]Umm, excuse me. When did my cat visit your house?? And why did no one ask my permission??
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Olliekat39.jpg

[size=x-small]They even have the same glazed expression!![/size]

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These two make look innocent. But...

The guy in the sink is behind it all I tell ya! He doesn't fool me...I've met his kind before.lol

Bitter apple is a good idea. I've been lucky because my cat hasn't destroyed any cables yet (just carpet!).

@ abs@nilenet,com-Those bengal kittens really are beautiful!

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=x-small]Umm, excuse me. When did my cat visit your house?? And why did no one ask my permission??
biggrin.gif
[/size]

[size=x-small]They even have the same glazed expression!![/size]

HA! Julie, they do look like evil twins. OK here's my innocent angel cat, Max :

2221026240044175878S600x600Q85.jpg

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 21
[size=x-small]There is no such thing as an innocent cat. . . and Max is gorgeous![/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HA! Julie, they do look like evil twins. OK here's my innocent angel cat, Max :

2221026240044175878S600x600Q85.jpg

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #10 of 21
x3 on the Bengal cats (the black cats are cute, too). Great markings!

Did you find them, or was a breeder the only option? I've heard that they're very in-demand.

OP, try blending some orange peels with water and then rub the mixture onto your cables (or create a cable cover for this purpose). They'll smell super-clean while deterring the cats--they hate citrus.

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 21
I can't help but think about that scene in Christmas Vacation where the cat chews on the Christmas tree light and POOF!

I'm bad.

Eddie: If that cat had nine lives it sure used 'em all.

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 21
Sorry for the thread hijack, Earl. I adopted them from a breeder ( http://www.lunakatz.com/ ). You can find kittens called 'bengals' in the local paper or sometimes in pet shops but they will not have markings like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x3 on the Bengal cats (the black cats are cute, too). Great markings!

Did you find them, or was a breeder the only option? I've heard that they're very in-demand.

Happy Listening!

Jan 31, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 21
Here's my little one Zee

and Sadie enjoying some music

I haven't had too many problems with them chewing my cables, but Zee does steal my stuff and hide it on me... But the we sprayed with the bitter apple spray right away when they first started chewing on things and also sprayed them with a water bottle whenever we caught them in the act and that combo seems to have worked pretty well.

Jan 31, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #15 of 21
I like the orange peels idea. Mostly, because it reminds me of my cat and how she immediately tears across the room if you toss an orange peel in front of her. Seriously, I've chased her around the house like that. It's like the orange peel smells so incredibly awful, its utterly panic-inducing. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back