Catamaran Sail Boat advice
Jun 18, 2005 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CMacDaddy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a used Catamaran Sailboat to sail off the beach in the Gulf of Mexico. I don't know anything about any manufactres of catamrans besides Hobie, and I'm wondering if there are any other alternatives?

Does anyone know if any year Hobie Cat is worse than others, or better than others? Is there a large improvement in the newest models? Is the 16' have enough room for 4 people and an ice chest? Does the 16' have a main and a jib or more?

Anyway, I've sailed small FJs semi-competitivly recently, but I want something bigger for use in the ocean.

Any other head-fiers into sailing? If so, any advice will be appreciated.

oh yeah, and...
Where is a good place to find/buy a used sailboat?

Jun 19, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 5
Well as for your questions on the '16... It is NOT big enough for 4 people and an ice chest. You can try, but you wont get very far very fast. For 4 people you really need at least an 18... and with an ice chest maybe more.

The 16 is a one class racing boat and as such is designed once and built forever. New ones are built exactly the same as older ones and use the same parts. Color schemes change but the boats remain the same. If you buy used, make sure to test the hulls as they tend to get soft and rot over time, so look wisely.

The 16 has a main sail as well as a jib which can be removed and replaced with a spinnaker during high wind days where you want to go real fast in one direction.

I'm not familier with any competitors... I'm sure they are out there, I just dont have experience with them.

Hope this helps! Cheers,
Jeremy

Jun 24, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 5
I thought I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread. I just came back from Newport having had the opportunity through my company to sail aboard on of the boats from the '70s. A professional crew directing us when to crank; when to switch gears...Those of you that sail on a regular basis have my admiration.

All I can say is there is nothing like cutting through the ocean at a 25 degree heel (that's me with my back to you cranking)
smily_headphones1.gif

SailWeb.jpg

Jun 24, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 5
As jjcapurro said there is no way you would fit 4 people and a cooler on a 16ft and sail on the ocean. When I sailed Hobie 18's on open ocean we had 3 people and a small cooler straped down on it and I wouldn't have wanted another person.

As for as competitors go you might want to look at Prindle Catamarans. They have some pretty fast boats.
Edit: Here is a link

If you want to get really serious there are Tornados (a class catamaran) but those are very expensive and advance. They are SUPER fast though. The place I used to sail was right next to an Olympic Sailing Center and I would get passed by Tornados like i was standing still.

Jun 25, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 5
I've found a good deal on a Hobie 16, so despite its size limitations, I think thats what i'm gonna get.

I cant find any used Hobie 18s, prindles, or anything else at the moment, and I really want to get sailing.

An old friend of mine won a tornado in a poker game, and never used it but hes in a different city and doesnt even take it out.

thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back