Cat urine on cloth braided cable...
Aug 27, 2015 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ravenous

100+ Head-Fier
So my cat recently urinated on the floor and my part of my cable for my Fidelio X2 happened to be near that spot and caught a little of that urine. What should I do to get the smell out? Would using Silica gel packs within my headphone case work to get rid of the moisture and the odor of the urine?

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #2 of 5
Silica gel won't do anything about the smell.

Just treat the cable like you would any piece of fabric.
I wouldn't recommend putting any cable in a washing machine, but by all means give it a good wash with gentle detergents/soap.
As long as you let it fully dry out, there will be NO damage to the cable and no risk to your headphone.

If the smell doesn't come out after a good wash or two, give the cable a 'coffee bath' .. just let the coffee cool down  before putting the cable in, or the cable will warp in the heat. 
I would leave it in for 24 hours along with the grinds - but the grinds will need more careful washing to get them all out of the fabric... so you could just make a VERY strong coffee and remove the grinds beforehand.
I've done this before with plastic headphone parts only to mask the smell of cigarettes (very strong smell), but the theory should hold true for fabrics and cat p*ss. 

Then wash it again with gentle detergent... then you'll have a cable that smells like coffee :) 

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply. By washing it with detergent, did you mean putting detergent on a cloth or sponge and scrubbing the cable?

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 5
As long as its normal, pH-neutral hand soap or laundry detergent, it doesn't really matter since it won't do any damage to your cable however you decide to apply it.
I always apply liberally because I'm too lazy to do multiple washes for anything.

Just dont use anything abrasive that will cause the fabric to fray.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Some vinegar mixed with water is a common home remedy for removing urine smell (google it).

You can get a new cable for less than $10 if the smell doesn't come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back