Cat Stevens!
Mar 4, 2009 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Bomo.is.ooc

100+ Head-Fier
So, I was going through my mother's old record collection and found Cat Stevens. Now, I'm not saying I'd never heard of him, or never heard anything by him for that matter, but it had been when I was a bit younger and during car rides and such. Now that I've gotten really into folk rock, acoustic rock and the broad range of just mellow fun stuff, I'm blown away by this guy.

I guess I'm just wondering what other people recommend from him and any other bands/groups/artists that belong in this general genre. I currently have Teaser and the Firecat and am enjoying every minute of it. Anything I'm missing out on?

Sorry if I make anyone feel old, but you are, because he stopped performing (other than his recent album) in the '70's
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomo.is.ooc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I was going through my mother's old record collection and found Cat Stevens. I currently have Teaser and the Firecat and am enjoying every minute of it. Anything I'm missing out on?

Hey, my mum was a huge Cat Stevens fan. Firstly, you HAVE to get 'Tea for the Tillerman' immediately. You can't have 'Teaser' without 'Tea', it's just wrong! In my humble opinion, it's even better than 'Teaser'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tea-Tillerma...6130552&sr=8-1

Then there's 'Mona Bone Jakon' which I discovered means something really ruuuuuuude, ha ha - but this is the album he made before the 'big' two, Teaser/Tea, and although it may not quite as 'refined' as the later ones, it's worth having, there are some really nice tracks on it, Kathmandu, Fill my eyes, Lilywhite - listen to some of the samples here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mona-Bone-Ja...6130944&sr=1-1

And if you can get hold of Majikat: Earth Tour 1976 [Live], it's well worth having. The sound quality's pretty good, and the live audience makes for a nice intimate atmosphere. I wasn't so keen on later stuff, although Buddah and the Chocolate Box has one of the tracks I absolutely love, 'Oh very young'

Buddah and the Chocolate Box: Cat Stevens: Amazon.co.uk: Music

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Tea.For the Tillerman" is good but don't forget about "Catch Bull at Four" as well, also by Cat Stevens.

Catch a Bull was my favorite for a long time. I've been into acoustic music for a long time and The Cat is always on the play list.

You might find some other stuff you like here. 100 Greatest Acoustic Guitar Albums

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomo.is.ooc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, awesome stuff guys. I'm checking out Nick Drake right now and am simply floored. I'll have to pick up some of his albums. Thanks again
biggrin.gif

Well, he only recorded three (perfect) albums before his life was cut short. There's a few odds and ends floating about on compilations but collecting his discography isn't a chore like it is with more prolific artists.

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #13 of 23
I agree with the votes on Tea.

On an interesting side note - if you like visuals with your music, get the movie Harold and Maude it utilizes Cat Steven's music extremely well.

Another good acoustic player from that era is Shawn Phillips, try his Second Contribution and Collaboration discs.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 23
That reminds me. Whatever happened to the case of the Bush government refusing Cat Stevens entry into the U.S. because they claimed he is an Islamist terrorist supporter? They said he was funneling money to terrorists via his religious charity foundation.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #15 of 23
From the same era:

James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Carole King - Tapestry
Dan Fogelberg - Souvenirs

P.S. I know I am old, so no problem.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back