Cat resistant headphone cable? (Hifiman)
Apr 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DunderXIII

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Yesterday evening the left channel of my headphone suddenly went out, after checking around a bit I found out my cat chewed off one of the wires on the headphone cable.

I have the silver cable that came with the HE-500. It's a good thing those are easy replaceable, I did manage to solder it back and it's fine, but I'd rather spend time listening to music than of looking out for the cat with water spray :)

One quick solution is to put it in loom-wire tubbing :) I don't want to spent hundreds of dollars for a cable, to me, it is not a good investment at all. And I haven't found a good sleeving solution that doesn't involve costing twice as much in shipping (like, 25$ for the product and as much for shipping).

Any of you have these kind of stupid issues? A cat/dog bringing down a fine hifi system?? :)

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 4
[x] Kill the cat
[ ] Kill the cat
[ ] Kill the cat
[ ] Try a cable with tough outer jacket like Moon Audio cables. Expensive, though.
[ ] Put a muzzle on the cat when you are using your headphones and put them out of the cat's reach somehow when not in use.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Any of you have these kind of stupid issues? A cat/dog bringing down a fine hifi system?? :)

I keep my gear in a room that none of my cats are allowed into unless I'm showing them something on the computer screen (or showing them off to whoever I'm on Skype with). Back when I had a speaker system I hid the cables away under the carpet, but did it for aesthetics before I brought one home; at that point I moved all audio gear out of the common areas because the cats like sitting on my amps, especially while listening (that would be my equivalent for all those internet pics of cats sitting on laptop keyboards). Bottom line though, just keep the A/V inaccessible to the pets, like keep the room closed or get an A/V rack that's more like the older cabinet-types, but with a glass door you lock with a key, then just hang one of the duplicates nearby (do NOT leave the key on there, trust me).

BTW my cats can open doorknobs if they have something to stand on, like the kitchen counter next to the door going to the garage, so never underestimate how crafty they can be. They evolved that way, like how smaller cats hiss like snakes or how kittens can sound like crying human babies, most likely because they learned it's a good way to get cavemen to rescue them (or superstitious humans to stay the hell away, since here in SEAsia we have mythical devil babies crying in the jungle), and tendency is those that learned either skill get on the good, survival side of natural selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back