Casting and Molding cIEM backups, replacements, etc from existing Etymotic cIEM?
Oct 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

econ

New Head-Fier
Hi DIYers,

There are a bunch of threads about DIY custom IEMs, from the high tech to the basic "shove a cheap IEM into some Radian goo."  The latter I quite like but more for the security of the fit than any massive improvement in sound.

But the higher tech versions of taking an impression, casting the impression into a mold, and then pouring into the mold has me intrigued. Specifically because I already have a pair of Etymotic CustomTips. 

Now, I certainly don't want to harm them because they are my go-to IEMs.  And I realize that the outcome probably won't be as comfy as the professional products.  But does anyone with experience here have any suggestions for a solid, non-destructive approach to approximately copying these professionally done customs?

In case it helps with the advice, what I'm really looking for is an upgrade from the basic Radian-goo-around-your-bargain-IEM approach for gym, running, etc.  In the googling through threads here and some instructables, it seems possible and employs seemingly well-established hobby techniques for creating and copying plastic figures, toys, movie/theater props, etc. 
But there's enough technique there on top of the choices of mixtures and chemicals that I really wanted to get some expert opinions before I go investing more time in teaching myself the craft and/or experimenting. 

Thanks for any tips, tricks, or experiences. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back