Cassette Tape Sickness!
May 1, 2003 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

krayzie

500+ Head-Fier
May 1, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 100
How the f#%* am I supposed to read this?

May 1, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 100
There's nothing much to read on there anyway... just look at the pictures
tongue.gif

Too bad virtually no cassette portables are worth buying these days (for sound)
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 100
Bah. Cassettes are so 80s. Go MD!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2003 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 100
Go by an MD yourself. Us, we want to remain timewarped in the 80's. Aint nuffin better.
That page took forever to download, btw. Just as well you just can't go and buy that stuff in the corner hifi store any more, or I'd be hurtin my wallet, heh heh.

May 1, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 100
Oh yeah!!! Sony Super Metal Master!!!

To think that at one point in the 80s, my blank cassette collection would've put his to shame....and this guy doesn't even have any BASF, Denon, Scotch/Blackwatch, or JVC blank cassettes. And he calls himself a collector??

It's time to drag my Sony TC-K670 cassette deck (3 head 3 motor deck with aluminum front face and headphone jack with its own volume control) out of retirement....

May 1, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
Oh yeah!!! Sony Super Metal Master!!!

My dad still wished that Sony still made those Metal Master cassettes. That ceramic housing nad the best sounding cassette ever made was a bad marketing idea to cancel. With his Nakamichi CR-7A tape deck those Metal Masters rivaled the better CD players around. He must still have a good 100-150 of them sitting around with stuff recorded on them.

May 1, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 100
My sister still have some Metal Master blanks unopened. We got a box of them at a great price....I believe they only come in 90 minute lengths (at least here in the US) and 5 blank tapes per box (10 per box would be too heavy to carry!!). I am quite sure you can kill someone if you chuck one of these blank tapes at him/her....kind of give you an idea of the heft in each of these tapes.

I've tried a lot blank tapes in my days, and Sony, IMHO, produces the best blank cassette tapes. Second is Denon. I know this topic always start fights at the college radio station I was working at.

May 1, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
Bah. Cassettes are so 80s. Go MD!
smily_headphones1.gif

And bad sound is sooooo modern!

May 1, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 100
I admit cassette is obsolete in today's world, but man, are they fun. Where else can you try different formulas of tapes, with different noise reduction systems (not to mention Dolby HX Pro and dbx), and play with different amount of bias to dial in (assuming you have such controls on your deck). I remember while everyone was saying how Dolby HX Pro extended the frequency range of the cassette, Nakamichi stands alone in saying "Our decks don't need no stinking headroom extension system!"

On a properly-calibrated machine, cassette is an excellent recording format for the consumer. And cheap too. Sure, its heyday is now gone, but I think most will still have fond memories of assembling those "mix tapes"....
tongue.gif

Here's a Sony Walkman that I missed....

wm-w800_2.jpg

The dubbing Walkman....the WM-W800

May 2, 2003 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
My sister still have some Metal Master blanks unopened. We got a box of them at a great price....I believe they only come in 90 minute lengths (at least here in the US) and 5 blank tapes per box (10 per box would be too heavy to carry!!). I am quite sure you can kill someone if you chuck one of these blank tapes at him/her....kind of give you an idea of the heft in each of these tapes.

I've tried a lot blank tapes in my days, and Sony, IMHO, produces the best blank cassette tapes. Second is Denon. I know this topic always start fights at the college radio station I was working at.

So how about TDK MA-XGs? Ever tried those? Anyhow look what I've found: http://www.pricebuster.org.uk/WebPages/specials.asp

Too bad I don't live in the UK, but at 2 pounds a piece that's a steal!!! They even list HD580 for 100 pounds... jokes eh!?!

Yeah the Sony ceramic shells are super heavy... inside the box there's a card that says don't use the tape in the car tape deck or else it'll won't eject... lol!!! These stuff do weigh a ton eh!

Asides for my Sony SMMs, only my cheap Denon metal tapes (S-Port as they are called) can absolutely kill all my other metal tapes in the affordable catagory...

Nice to know we all love tapes at one point or the other! Heir Compact Cassettes!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 2, 2003 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 100
damn...those people are crazy!! why would you ever weast soo much $ on cassette tapes?!?! how can they bare the sound?!?!
<minidisc all the way!!!!>
heheh.....it'z fun to read posts in your own language when you compare chinese grammer with english grammer
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #14 of 100
Keep in mind, though, that the best cassette tape/best cassette deck combo can sound damned close to that of the average open-reel tape/average open-reel deck combo.

May 2, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #15 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
And bad sound is sooooo modern!

SP mode in MD owns tape because: no hiss, no degradation from repeat play, track marks, the ability to reuse a MD thousands of times.
biggrin.gif

I had fun with tapes, but their era has gone the way of the VHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back