casework: help and opinions...
May 4, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #16 of 22
I tried something very similar for my Bijou. I gutted an big, old cassette player from goodwill and added a simple wood piece for the front. It was intended to be semi temporary and so it doesn't look entirely professional but isn't an eye sore either. The only problem I had was that after gutting all the junk out of the chassis, the case ended up being a little flimsy. All in all, it was a very cheap and decent way to house a larger amp.

May 4, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wankski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
twas an old peugeot 10sp bike which i converted to a single speed commuter...

Now that is awesome... outstanding job on the conversion and the paint!

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
indeed, right back at you!

May 4, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mugdecoffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried something very similar for my Bijou. I gutted an big, old cassette player from goodwill and added a simple wood piece for the front. It was intended to be semi temporary and so it doesn't look entirely professional but isn't an eye sore either. The only problem I had was that after gutting all the junk out of the chassis, the case ended up being a little flimsy. All in all, it was a very cheap and decent way to house a larger amp.

cool, got pics?

yeah i had a similar problem, but i cut out the bracing part and reinstalled it.... the case (silver part running at the top front of the black chassis....

was really flimsy without it...

also pictured is the blue vinyl covering... pretty happy with it.... looking for just glossing the wood, so should have a pretty light colored front panel...

May 5, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that is awesome... outstanding job on the conversion and the paint!

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
indeed, right back at you!

thanks man... funny, bikes are kinda my business (not really anymore i guess), so that was a bodge job by my standards... was not worth dumping a lot of time and money into it as it has little commercial value (aside from the current fad/trend lending to an inflated single speed/fixie market), had it been no cost spared it would surely have been much nicer...

guess it's the same with some of the casework gods here, to me having no talent they seem AMAZING... probably no big deal to people with skills. hah
wink.gif

but i'm sure they're just as proud of their creations, just as i'm proud of my crappy french gas-pipe bike
redface.gif

May 5, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #20 of 22
Well, peugeot is a bit of a classic I guess, but the effort was all there, so cool to see that! Not unlike casework, if you are into it, the results follow quickly.

I have no qualms with people who make things and case them up in off the shelf enclosures at all, but it's just more fun to take some twisty side road than roll down the interstate, if you can make the time to indulge.
smily_headphones1.gif

Regarding bikes, my roadie is a custom waterford in red; the passable mtn bike is a rockhopper comp disk that I ended up converting to a 96-er with 1x9, after blowing the seals on my front shock. I just rebuilt the front shocks on my tacoma, and hope to tackle the bike fork next. Have a salsa cromoto on there for now, which coupled with the 29" wheel is interesting and good. Still pretty compliant, and hella lighter.

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #21 of 22
update... went with something totally different... old plain wood case with a glass top....

my old man was doing a renno and had good hardwood laying around so the cost was near enuff zip.....

below:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back