Case for your fancy IEM ear buds -- whaddya use?
Mar 19, 2010 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ChromeJob

Head-Fier
Granted, the fancier IEMs come with a nice case (or, in the case of the Monster Miles Davis Tribute IEMs, a Very Nice Case ... miniature trumpet case, in fact),[1] or two (Monster Turbine Pro Copper), but my free (for me) in-ears came with a rather cheap leatherette zipper case. It's large enough to let me coil the cords up, fix them with a reusable twist-tie (I use computer manufacturer "purse lock" ties that will gently wrap around cords)[2], but the zippered ear bud case is a wee bit large for the hard-sided Case Logic hard drive case in which I keep my iPod, cords (if any), port covers, and the ear buds.[3] (Yes, I could keep the ear buds loose in the "cable" section of the case, but then I don't have soft snug protection for them.)

My problem with some third party "bud cases" is one or more of the following:
  • Designed for a specific bud (Apple basic, or specific manufacturer's), and won't properly fit another manufacturer's design
  • Bends or crimps the cord right out of the unit, so that over time the wires will wear and break; the SendStation earBuddy and someone's yo-yo design come to mind ... great for a $20 pair or disposable buds, but not $150 IEMs
  • Oddball shape that won't fit into anything else
  • Tough on the outside, but pretty Spartan and undistinguished on the inside (explanation: velvet or flock or foam to protecting the buds, and keeping them clean)
  • Cutsie design, sickening colors reminiscent of My Li'l Pony
  • Fabricated (cheaply) to endure no more than 180 days of regular use

So. What do you use for keeping your prized, hi-fi ear buds in? The oem case, or a re-purposed case of another kind?

[1]
MilesDavisHeadphones.jpg

[2]
P1395a.jpg
039.jpg

[3]
hard-drive-case-logic-2.jpg

61v5cHYSBWL.jpg

[size=xx-small](Please don't detour into larger cases for over-ear headphones. That's not the topic at hand.) [/size]

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 22
Check out the smallest Pelican box, I forgot the numbers. I think 1001 or something? They are water proof and almost indestructible. It is amazing, not to big either.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 22
The Otterbox that came with my 13s has none of those problems (except maybe 4.. not sure what you meant there). Of course the paint material JHA used on the nameplate leaves something to be desired (it has chipped a little bit).

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 22
I put them in a large bag so I don't have to wind the wire. I just kind of lay them there and then bring them with me.

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 22
The metal case that came with my tf10s. Kinda big but its really solid.

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 22
The case that came with my CK100's. It's a really nice case, perfect size and has a magnet button for easy opening.

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i use an altoids tin can. if not theres the case my ck10 came with.

this. i use dark chocolate, so i'm probably a step above though
wink.gif
i'm growing more partial to the CK10 case though, because i can hear them jingling around the altoids box when i'm walking around.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephoku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just use a small altoids tin for my Monster Turbines.
img0405za.jpg

(Not pictured.)

Haha. Curious, Strong, and Minty.
beyersmile.png

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 22
cans.jpg

beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephoku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just use a small altoids tin for my Monster Turbines.
img0405za.jpg

(Not pictured.)

either those are HUGE iems or mine are tiny...

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #15 of 22
cool, i'm gonna have to try that next time i get an empty mint tin.

right now i use a skullcandy pouch. it's actually pretty nice, it even has a drawstring close at the top and my sony clip ons and sansa clip fit inside. skullcandy made a nice carry pouch, but i think they only come with higher end models. i didnt get one with the inkd but my brother got one with the full metal jackets, i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back