Case for iPod & Amp?
Jul 27, 2006 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

FreeBlues

100+ Head-Fier
First time poster here. I've decided to get a Xin SuperMicro IV amp to go with my 5G iPod and am wonering if anyone has a good solution for bundling and carrying the two together. I use my iPod mostly at the gym so something small and unobtrusive that allows easy access to controls is what I want. Style and price are of little concern, pure functionality is what I'm after.

thanks

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by robster
I'm using a Headroom mini bag with my 4G Ipod with Vja case and Portaphile amp and I love the bag!

Ah, but the RVM-iPod takes up less space of course.. do you have a picture? Do you think there would be enough room for

the iPod using Apple's Radio Remote
+ the RnB Cable
+ SM3
?
I am somewhat hesitant as I would have to stuff both the Black Diamond & the remote cable in there.

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues
First time poster here. I've decided to get a Xin SuperMicro IV amp to go with my 5G iPod and am wonering if anyone has a good solution for bundling and carrying the two together. I use my iPod mostly at the gym so something small and unobtrusive that allows easy access to controls is what I want. Style and price are of little concern, pure functionality is what I'm after.

thanks

Hi Free and welcome to Headfi!

The SuperMicro IV is very small and light, and can easily be attached to an Ipod (or Ipod case) with velcro. Just be sure the Amp itself has a plastic or rubber band of some kind around it to make sure it doesn't pop open. I had trouble with that on my SuperMicro III, and had to order a replacement case, which is actually a SuperMicro IV case. It is staying in place better than the old one, and came with a clear polyband that slips over the amp to keep it shut. This is not an ideal design IMO, but the amp sounds so sweet and is so tiny that it's worth the nuisance.

Anyway, for gym or other active use, I have found that the best solution for me is the Apple Remote Radio. I tuck the amp and Ipod in my pocket, fanny pack or whatever, and use the remote clipped somwhere on my clothing to do everything. The remote will let you pause, fast forward, go back, resume, and adjust volume. It also gives you a line out of the I-Pod to get around the headphone jack circuitry, which you will want anyway if using an amp. (*Note: there is some controversy about whether the remote is truly giving you a line out like you would get with a product like, e.g., the pocket dock--search if you want to read more on this). It's also a surprisingly good FM radio, although I rarely use it for that purpose.

Depending on how long the cord is on your earbuds/phones, you may have a long cord if you add the remote radio. If so, I'd suggest getting a smartwrap cord manager from Sumajin (Headfi sponsor); they work great.

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Ah, but the RVM-iPod takes up less space of course.. do you have a picture? Do you think there would be enough room for

the iPod using Apple's Radio Remote
+ the RnB Cable
+ SM3
?
I am somewhat hesitant as I would have to stuff both the Black Diamond & the remote cable in there.

Hiya,
well I don't think there would be room for the remote,but I'm not certain. I ordered a RnB mini cable,which is yet to arrive,right now I'm using a Cardas mini which fits nicely.
I also use one of those Mountainsmith Vibe II $20 belly bags from Ebags and I'm sure it would hold the Apple remote also.

Cheers,
Robert

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 37
My rig is almost exactly like yours--5g Ipod with Supermacro. Using also Headroom's minibag. Didin't state your 'phones but mine are Ety 4ps which fit in a tiny puch in the back of the bag. Bag also has a scary-strong clip that goes onto your gym shorts.

Only problem I'm having is my SIlver Dragon cable sticks out about 1/2" or so, but that's a minor thing.

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by robster
Hiya,
well I don't think there would be room for the remote,but I'm not certain. I ordered a RnB mini cable,which is yet to arrive,right now I'm using a Cardas mini which fits nicely.

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet & try. Hopefully I'll be able to make HR ship this thing in an envelope, I have very little motivation to double the price due to international FedEx.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #11 of 37
Have you looked at the Headroom Gigabag? I have my Redwine-modded iPod and SMIV in there and the fit is just fine. The only downside is that the IC (Wyvern AG 16) sticks out the top a tad. Definitely transportable and fits in my pocket. I am sure the belt clip would work too.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
Have you looked at the Headroom Gigabag?

I did. The issue I have is that it is made for HR amps, and you will not be able to reach the SM volume control through those holes. Plus it advertises its content.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 37
Thanks all.

Currently, I have both the Headroom micro bag and their bithead amp. With the iPod everything fits quite easily. Thing is, it fits too easily, the bag is generously large in all directs (h,w d). It's a bit bulky.

In a perfect world I could get something like an iSkin that wraps the iPod/amp combo in thin neopreme and clips to my shorts.

I'm not sure I understand the line out comments. My assumption is that, like the bithead, I can run a short mini cable from the iPod headphone out to the amp in and plug headphones into the amp. Volume adjustment on the amp is a more or less one time thing and I use the iPod controls for all my playback, including volume. Yes?

robster - I didn't understand your post? Are you referring to the HeadRoom micro bag?

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

I'm not sure I understand the line out comments. My assumption is that, like the bithead, I can run a short mini cable from the iPod headphone out to the amp in and plug headphones into the amp.

If you use the line-out out of the dock-connector you will face added bulk/length due to the given line-out-adaptor. Red-Wine-modded iPods eliminate that issue as their headphone-out is turned into a line-out.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

I'm not sure I understand the line out comments. My assumption is that, like the bithead, I can run a short mini cable from the iPod headphone out to the amp in and plug headphones into the amp. Volume adjustment on the amp is a more or less one time thing and I use the iPod controls for all my playback, including volume. Yes?

If you use an adapter to get an analogue lineout that bypasses the headphone jack on an I-Pod, you will get much cleaner sound when you use an amp. Here is one such adapter, picked at random off this site:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184784
There are many others; I have a pocket dock to perform this function (as well as the apple remote radio).

Generally, when using a line out, you get best results if you set the volume on the I-Pod to its highest setting (or very close to highest setting), and then use the amp only to control volume. For convenience purposes when active, I'll occasionally use the volume control on the apple remote so I can leave the amp/ipod untouched in pocket, case, or pouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back