Case Enclosures & Knobs
Nov 9, 2004 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

roadbuster

Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for a nice, metal enclosure for an amp. You may ask, "ok, how big is
your amp?" The answer to that depends on the dimensions of cases which are
presented. In other words, the size of the amp will depend on the size of the
case. If I run in to a very hot, pocket-sized case, then that's what I'll run with.
If I can find a hot, rack-mount case, then rack-mount it is.

Every time I go looking for a new case, I inevitably end-up going back to the
Hammond 1455 series. I can't stand it. Each time I find an alternative
manufacturer which makes something aesthetically pleasing, their prices suck.
I need choices, and I'm finding none.

I run in to the same problem with knobs. I look and look and look, and the
only ones which appeal to my tastes at the Kilo DD/DDS series. Anything
similar, but less phallic?

Post what you can find, my minions
eek3dance.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 15
I just found out that the stainless steel one I used is not available in polished form, now only available as brushed steel.. but it's also $10 cheaper.. $19.99 CND. Can't provide a link though, cuz I've only seen them in a few shops here in Toronto, and none of the store owners will tell me where they get them.
frown.gif

Actually, one did.. but I looked up the name and they don't exist.
confused.gif

I'm also interested in where people get their knobs. I need small ones.

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
I just found out that the stainless steel one I used is not available in polished form, now only available as brushed steel.. but it's also $10 cheaper.. $19.99 CND. Can't provide a link though, cuz I've only seen them in a few shops here in Toronto, and none of the store owners will tell me where they get them.
frown.gif

I'd love to find out their distributor so I could purchase them in larger quantities.
If they're selling them for $20 CDN, they're probably paying around $12 each.
Assuming the brushed metal ones are as sleek as your polished model, I wouldn't
mind paying that price.

Your circuit must be awfully compact, though. That case looks pretty small, and
I'd imagine that your capacitors are mounted radially rather than axially
(length-wise, as opposed to vertically). Do you have a picture of your board?

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 15
If you think that the $30 that they're hoping for as a target price in that extrutech group buy is a bad price for a case you're going to have a very, very hard time finding a lot of options - most of the casemakers' decent lines start above that.

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 15
For knobs, consider the aluminum knobs from Eagle. Mouser has them in three or four sizes and a couple of different styles.

Here's the 450-6003 .5" knob in silver:

smm_silver.jpg

This is the 450-6016 .87" knob:

pimeta2.jpg

They are listed on page 1147 of the Mouser catalog which is viewable online.

-Drew

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JHouser
That case in Brushed would look pretty cool. Less fingerprints too!
orphsmile.gif

True. I'm actually trying really hard to find them because I'd like to start making more amps and selling them, cuz I really need the income.. and I also really really enjoy making them.. need a drill press though.. very hard metal to drill.

Roadbuster, I used the standard Tangent design with the RS board.. and the capacitors are vertically mounted.

The dimensions are roughly 3.5" x 2 3/8" x 6/8"

Nov 9, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman
If you think that the $30 that they're hoping for as a target price in that extrutech group buy is a bad price for a case you're going to have a very, very hard time finding a lot of options - most of the casemakers' decent lines start above that.

This is fine. A dose of reality would serve me well to clear my delusions. Given
that you haven't provided any options or links, I can't do anything to change
my perspective on what chassis pricing should be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewd
For knobs, consider the aluminum knobs from Eagle. Mouser has them in three or four sizes and a couple of different styles.

Thanks for the information, Drew. I always thought that you were using Kilo
International knobs for your designs, and the price on those is ~$5 USD for
the kind of knob you're using for your mini-moy design. Eagle's prices are far
more palatable, though. They are, however, a bit long, and that's a turn-off
for me. Fortunately, I spot another two designs from Eagle in Mouser's
catalogue which solve this problem: 45KN015 and 45KN026 (link).

Keep posting, people
killbill.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 15
Look at Lansing Enclosures for some interesting cases. They don't have a big variety, but the prices are reasonable. The MicroPak D case is a pretty straightforward extruded case. They also have some extruded cases in two piece designs. The Graybox line is also nice - I've built several amplifiers with those. They're an interesting alternative to Par-Metal, but they don't lend themselves to a Front Panel Express panel.

You have to order via phone or fax - they haven't quite caught up with the Internet completely yet.

There aren't a lot of options for inexpensive, good looking cases. That tubular one that I posted up above runs about $40 in quantities of 10 and that's pretty inexpensive as far as enclosures go. That's why you see a lot of amplifiers built into Hammond cases - they look good and they won't break the bank.

-Drew

Nov 9, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by drewd
Look at Lansing Enclosures for some interesting cases. They don't have a big variety, but the prices are reasonable. The MicroPak D case is a pretty straightforward extruded case. They also have some extruded cases in two piece designs. The Graybox line is also nice - I've built several amplifiers with those. They're an interesting alternative to Par-Metal, but they don't lend themselves to a Front Panel Express panel.

Thanks for the link. I just visited their website and made a request for all their
technical and marketing material available for their Graybox line of enclosures.
I found their online price guide, and it seems that their cheapest Graybox is a
P1Q06-0T1A (P-series, quarter rack (4.2"), 6" depth, non-vented sides,
captured top cover, clear anodize finish), and that price is $35 USD. I'd really
like a half-rack-wide, 8" deep case with vented sides, however, and the price
of that is a staggering $53.40. I wonder if I could find a local machine shop to
make them for me...

They don't have any price breaks listed, unfortunately, so I'll have to send
them a fax for a price quote on 5 or 10 enclosures. The sad thing is that I bet
they'll destroy me on the shipping charge to Canada.

Thanks for the response.

Nov 10, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadbuster
I wonder if I could find a local machine shop to
make them for me...

I think you'll find that's not a very viable option if you're trying to keep cost down - you have to keep in mind that the companies that make these enclosures and charge X for them have all the tools there and set up for making them and make them in large quantities - a one-off (or ten-off, or whatever) from a machine shop would be, I imagine, MUCH more expensive.

Nov 10, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 15
Par-Metals is basically a custom machine shop online specializing in enclosures. Their prices are very reasonable for what they do, compared to similar mass-produced enclosures from Hammond, at least for rack mount sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back