Cary SLP88 Headamp SQ vs Dedicated Headamp
Dec 13, 2006 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ldj325

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am looking for a good quality tube amp for driving my system. Its gotta have some tube magic. Primary SQ system isTurntable/Vinyl>Hagerman Coronet tube phono pre>Headphone amp??> 600 modded Sennheiser HD580HD (current, primary) and looking to add low impedance phones, maybe K701's at some point. (2nd input option is to substitute Redwine iMod iPod in place of the TT -- but I can always just swap out the TT vs iPod RCA's, so multiple imputs option is not critical.)

Additionally, it would be nice to have the option of output to external speakers on occassion (currently M-Audio powered studio monitors). But this option is not the primary system and is not expected to be at the same SQ level as the headphone system.

Because of the pre amp out to ext speakers, I have been looking towards a headphone amp with a pre output (contenders are Singlepower MPX3 Slam with pre out option (a bit pricey for me unless I can gradually evolve/build into this), Mapletree Ear Purist+, Woo Audio 6 (if pre out can be custom configured, maybe a used RSA Stealth at bargain price, and RSA Raptor if I forgo the pre out). And recently the option of a used Cary SLP88 preamp that is suppossed to have a good headphone out (and its within my budget).

Budget: It would be great to get a qualtiy headamp for $800 or less, good to get it at $1000 or less, and I could streach to $1200 if the difference was compelling.

Does anyone know if the Cary headphone out is in the same league with the other options mentioned? And if you know how it is as a pre amp as well.

Any other comments regarding SQ and/or value of the above options?

Music preferences are VINYL: 60's-70's classic rock (OK, primarily 66-72), anything, any time by Van Morrison and Mary Chapin Carpenter, classical esp. chamber music, smatterings of blues, jazz--in that order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back