Cary SLI-80 Vibrations
Oct 24, 2005 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ScrapIron

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Cary SLI-80 Sig that has vibrations that can be felt on the front knobs as well as the top of the transformers and the chassis. I had the power transformer replaced by Cary and that helped (the tranny was bad), however there are still the vibrations. The speakers are picking this up- I get a distinct hum from the woofers about 1 foot away. I also hear the hum through my HD600s- again, slight, but it's there.

I took it back to Cary (I live close by) and the Tech (Gerald, great guy) brings me to the back and put the amp on their test bed. That's customer service. Everything is biased, we moved some tubes around (EH KT-88s) but still the vibration. Everything else looks great.

Well guess who comes over to ask what's up? Dennis himself! So we talk and he says, bring this thing to my test bench. The tech says, you're getting special treatment. Don't I know it!

Dennis hooks it up, listens, looks, and says the amp is in spec. Nothing wrong with it. I say yeah, sounds great, but those darn vibrations. He says everything seems to be in order, we talk about the EH tubes, the sound, and that's it.

Should I expect the vibrations or just live with it?

I respect Cary Audio and everyone that works there has been very pleasant and gracious. I would certainly purchase another Cary product- I hold nothing against them.

I am not the original owner and the amp is about 2.5 years old.

Thanks-
Skot

Oct 24, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 8
If it bugs you (it must, as you have posted this same question on just about every forum there is
biggrin.gif
), just get rid of it. Transformers vibrate, that is a fact of life.

If you really want to keep it, you may want to find someone who is good at modding to mount the transformers on some sort of anti-vibration material while retaining any grounding.

Oct 24, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 8
Yeah, I'm spraying it out there
biggrin.gif
OR you're stalking me. Wait a minute...

To get rid of it- well, I love the sound and I'd probably take a $ loss- since in good conscience I couldn't sell it without menitoning the vibrations.

I think this week I'll get some Herbie's tube dampers to see if that helps with the hum (as someone in another forum suggested).

Now, stop following me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Nah, I'm just kidding, thanks for the suggestion of mounting the transformers.

See ya around-
Skot

Oct 24, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapIron
Yeah, I'm spraying it out there
biggrin.gif
OR you're stalking me. Wait a minute...

To get rid of it- well, I love the sound and I'd probably take a $ loss- since in good conscience I couldn't sell it without menitoning the vibrations.

I think this week I'll get some Herbie's tube dampers to see if that helps with the hum (as someone in another forum suggested).

Now, stop following me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Nah, I'm just kidding, thanks for the suggestion of mounting the transformers.

See ya around-
Skot

What did you think of that guy who suggested baking them in the oven?

Oct 25, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 8
HA! If I knew for sure it would help, I'd do it. But the idea of dismantling my amp to cook my transformers to reduce the vibrations is a tough pill to swallow. I'll give him an A for effort though.
tongue.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapIron
I say yeah, sounds great, but those darn vibrations.

Am I correct to assume that the vibrations are affecting the sound so in reality, the amp doesn't sound great? If the vibrations are that bad, it puzzles me that Cary doesn't want to help you rectify the problem. Did you pay for the tranny replacement? Meaning you'd be willing to pay for the work or is this under warranty some how?

There is a hum on my SLI-80 Sig as well but you have to be right on top of the amp to hear it and none of the hum comes through my speakers or HD650s.

Oct 26, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 8
The amp still sounds wonderful, the hum from the speakers isn't noticeable when music is playing (but I KNOW it's there). The Cary (as I'm sure you can attest) is a fantastic amp.

The folks are Cary said the amp was fine, they took the time to check it out. Yeah, I kinda felt maybe I was getting the brush off (but they are sincere). Funny thing, Kevin Deal replied "amps vibrate, don't focus on it"- or something similar. riffer can correct me here- I know he read it too. He's probably reading this as I write it. Spooky.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now- here's the update- tonight I put my Black Diamond Racing cones and Those Things back under the amp and poof- vibrations/hum gone! I had them under before, but maybe slightly different. Weird, but I'll take it.

Of course I ordered six Herbie HAL-O tube dampers last night. I'll still give them a try. So until next time, vibration and hum have disappeared.

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 8
Glad to hear you found something that eliminates the problem.

Now you can enjoy the music again
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back