Cary CD-308
Mar 5, 2004 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Finalrinse

Head-Fier
Has any one purchased a Cary CD-308. I was wondering how it sounds and how much I can expect to pay? I know it retails for $1500. and seen some old threads where people have bought for around $1300. It's at least a two year old model, does it still stack up with some of the brand new models? Where should I call for a good price?
Thanks!

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 8
Spent a lot of time Monday listening to the cd-308 thru a Cary SLI-80 pushing Thiel 2.4 loudspeakers. I was suprised on how good it was for the money. Cary cd players get the rythm just right. Something I tend to not notice until something like the Cary gets it right. I couldn't find any real faults with this peice (for the price). I would say that it isn't a warm player but not cold either. It goes low, real low bass. I must say that I didn't buy this peice because I made the mistake of listening to the cd-306/200 (which I did buy). My advice would be don't listen to the 306/200 during auditions....

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 8
I am another one who initially heard the 308T and ended up buying a 303/200. I can't comment on the non T version, but my experience was also one of being blown away. I was listening to cd players in the sub $1000 range (Rotel, etc.) and the difference between them and the cary was night and day. The other poster described the pace, for me cary's just sound big -- not necessarilly in a soundstage way, though they do have a great soundstage, but more in a full, all encompassing way. I prefered the 308T to a $5000 accuphase that, while more detailed, lacked the cary's presence.

Anyway, I have seen new 308Ts go for $1800 (list is $2500), used 308Ts go for $1200-1400, and used 308s for as low as $800. (Last time I looked upscale listed a used 308 on their website). Anyway, there is lots of talk on this board about players in this price range, but I think the cary is the best of the bunch.

-d

Mar 5, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 8
Finalrinse, I posted a comment here on Head-Fi (back on 07-05-2003) about the CD-308.

My current opinion? The CD-308 is a very fine budget player!

TravelLite

Mar 5, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 8
Thank you very much for the comments and replies. The CD-308 sounds like a very fine player indeed. Since I can't audition players, I've been making phone calls, searching the internet for reviews and articles, and talking to friends. I ended up placing an order for, an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD Player with a TjoUpsampler 24 Bit /192 kHz Upsampling Board. I decided to go the tube route incase I want to change the characteristics down the road after brake-in. I placed a limit of $1200. and this fell below by a couple hundred dollars. Time will tell if I like it. Thank you again for your time and replies, I appreciate it very much.

Mar 6, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

My current opinion? The CD-308 is a very fine budget player!

I have a hard time calling a $1,500 player a budget component. It may be a good value, but a budget player?

Mar 6, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 8
I spent about an hour with the Cary CD-308 at a meet not too long ago, and I think it's a very nice player. It's got an enourmous soundstage, and is both detailed and natural. Nice midrange too. Wish I could have spent more time with it.

The Jolida JD-100 is another nice tube-stage redbook player. It's not at the level of the Cary, but it's damn nice. It's also significantly cheaper. Just my $0.02....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back