Cary CD-308 or Ayre CX-7
Jul 4, 2003 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
Has anyone auditioned either one of these players for Redbook? I have listened to the Ayre on a couple of occasions in a very good speaker system and was quite impressed with the detail and overall performance. I have recently heard some limitations with my Philips 963SA. In particular it seems to have problems with bass that is relatively loud in the passage. When I listen to track 3 of the Gladiator soundtrack I hear distortion in the loud bass passages. I have tried the same CD on a Meridian player and do not hear it. What I am thinking about doing using the Philips as a DVD player and taking the Sony to work. I would then bring in the new redbook player in for headphone listening. The downside is that I will need to use the Philips for SACD. Maybe I will just stack them up. I keep waiting for a Universal player but haven't heard of one I want.

Jul 5, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #2 of 4
I've used the Cary 308 in a secondary system for awhile. IMHO its a very musical player without being too analytical. I've seen them used for about $1,000. I bought mine new for $1,200 ish. I've not heard the tubed version.

Jul 5, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 4
John, I've never heard the Ayre player but I can talk a little about the Cary. I wonder though if you're thinking of the CD-308 (MSRP $1500.00) or the CD-308T (MSRP $2500.00)?

I acquired the CD-308 last November via Upscale Audio and subsequently have been highly delighted with its performance. Out of the box the CD-308 sounded (to me) a lot like an inexpensive, mediocre CD/DVD player (except for an absence of digital grain, IIRC). Certainly nothing special.

Although Cary recommends a 100 hour (~4 day) break-in I found very little in the way of change. Not so after 150-200+ hours though. Big, big changes! IMO, Cary should really revise their number to something along the lines of 7-10 days (168-240 hours).

Anyhow, I never go out of my way to recommend or "push" the CD-308 for one primary reason. This certainly has nothing to do with the player's sonic performance (or reliability), which I've found outstanding, especially considering its relatively modest cost.

No, instead the reason is the player's occasional behavior when changing tracks on a CD, say for example, from track 5 to track 14. From time-to-time the player will clip a tiny fraction of a second of program material from the very beginning of track 14, to use my example. This only occurs intermittently and normally the clipping is actually so brief that it would probably be hard to notice unless an individual listened for it.

I recall that a CD-308 owner and corespondent at Audio Asylum reported that he was told by Cary that this issue is probably related to some kind of glitch in the muting circuit. It's no big deal to me at all, but I don't doubt that it could "worry" some users, LOL.

Other users have commented that the operational radius of the remote control is very narrow compared to other players, and I'd agree. Also, that the remote itself is somewhat "homely-looking", again I'd agree, LOL. In addition, my sample shipped without a hardcopy user's manual although Cary quickly sent one out.

BTW, I'm rather familiar with track 3 on the Gladiator soundtrack since I really enjoy that, as well as track 13 where some elements of the same theme are repeated. Listening with the Cary (plus RKV) at both 44.1 and 96 kHz, and at high SPLs I don't detect any problems at all.

I will state flat-out that the Gladiator CD has some of the highest low-frequency peak levels of any disc in my collection! In addition, at least parts of the final mix are highly, highly processed, in particular the passage I think you're probably referring to. I'm sure that's part of the reason that a lot of us (including me) enjoy it though.

P.S. Better not ask Tuberoller (or DanG, IIRC) about Cary's digital products, LOL. :wink:

TravelLite

Jul 5, 2003 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi john_jcb,
I know this is off-topic, but have you considered the sacdmods.com Sony 555ES Hot Rod at around $1200 (~$600 for a player, $600 for mods)? Don't be put off by the low price, this player has achieved complete and total simbiosis with my Emmeline HR-2, they LOVE each other. I know you have this amp too, and I think the two together are hard to beat, a match made in heaven.

I haven't heard the 963SA, but I feel it's safe to say that the 555ES Hot Rod will be a significant step up, plus it does SACD (mods effect SACD and Redbook equally), so you wouldn't have to rely on the 963SA for hi-rez. sacdlover reports that the mod-ed 555ES is better than the stock Sony XA777ES, a much more expensive player.

Anyway, you void the Sony warrantee with the mods of course, but I still think it's worthy of consideration, could save you a lot of money which you could use on new CDs. Cheers.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back