Cary 300SEI usser help!!!
May 3, 2007 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

axky99

100+ Head-Fier
Recently the fuse of my ten years old CARY 300SEI has been
blown; I bought this AMP from Audiogon.com. The seller did mention this pair
of Sophia Electric 300B is new;but it should be over 100 hrs. this 300SEI is with power bank.
I bought a pack of 2-AMP,250-volt(slow blown) fuse from Radio
Shack. But it's blown after two days useage. I normal listen music around 2
to 3 hrs per day. I turn it off when I don't listen it. I am not sure if the
fuse, which i bought from RadioShack, is not suitable to 300SEI. Please
CARY 300SEI user advise the right fuse.
I send email to Cary Audio. The technician suggest me to replace all the driver tubes since the 300B's are newer. Replacing the 6SN7's may fix this issue.
As a result, I would like to upgrade all my 6sn7 tubes in my 300SEI. I would like to hear all the good combinations that you every tried or heard.

Thank you advance for all your suggestion and comment!!
k1000smile.gif

May 5, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi!

I don't own a 300SEI but I have stalked them. You are using the correct fuse according to the owner's manual. I'm sure the Rat Shack fuses would work the same as any other so I doubt this is the problem. Sure, it could be one of the tubes starting to go belly-up but more often than not the fuse will go immediately upon turn-on if a tube is faulty.

My guess is you may be trying to exceed the 15 watts per channel this beast can provide. Do you listen at moderate levels and / or use speakers with a sensitivity rating below 90 dB / 1 watt @ 8 ohms?

Regards,
Steve

May 5, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 5
I just use tube AMP about half yr. Could you tell me how I figure out which tube is going belly-up? I put the vol. between 10 to 11 o'clock. So I dont think I exceed the 15 watt per channel; plus, I use it to drive my K1000 only.

There is a switch for high/low gain. Do you think that would cause that problem too?

Any suggestion on 6SN7 combination?

Thank you!!

May 5, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 5
I just use tube AMP about half yr. Could you tell me how I figure out which tube is going belly-up? I put the vol. between 10 to 11 o'clock. So I dont think I exceed the 15 watt per channel; plus, I use it to drive my K1000 only.

There is a switch for high/low gain. Do you think that would cause that problem too?

Thank you!!

May 5, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by axky99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you!!

You need to have the tubes tested,I like the sylvania VT231s(6sn7) in the Cary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back