Cary 300SEI - Now I know..... WA5/GS-1000 notes added
May 18, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #16 of 64
Those are DIN sockets and not XLR. Why they are there I have no clue as that should be two main PSU caps and not in the signal path. It's tough to tell from the pic though.

Btw. The build quality is an epic fail
eek.gif

May 18, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #17 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Btw. The build quality is an epic fail
eek.gif

Any particular reason why? I know the parts in the chassis are very cramped. But these old eyes cant pick up the details of anything glaringly wrong.

May 18, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 64
Thanks I am not very familure with all the types of connectors. I have heard of DIN, but never had anything with them on it.

That is what is confusing me, why hooked up to the main Caps?

I should have not looked inside....
smily_headphones1.gif

Build quality or not. Sound = very good.

Cheers,

May 18, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #19 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any particular reason why? I know the parts in the chassis are very cramped. But these old eyes cant pick up the details of anything glaringly wrong.

Like you said, the case is way too cramped so the parts are just crammed in there without any clear layout or proper support. Very little thought made to a direct signal path but this is no worse then so many other companies, not that it's an excuse. The bare capacitor leads are a bit worrying with the caps only secured by those horrible stick on supports. Adhesive and heat isn't a good mix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks I am not very familure with all the types of connectors. I have heard of DIN, but never had anything with them on it.

That is what is confusing me, why hooked up to the main Caps?

I should have not looked inside....
smily_headphones1.gif

Build quality or not. Sound = very good.

Cheers,

The DIN standard is mostly dead by now but there are still a few companies that use it, mostly NAIM though. I could have been used to power some other device of the same PSU much like Quad did with the II/22 combo and many other vintage designs.

May 18, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #20 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DIN standard is mostly dead by now but there are still a few companies that use it, mostly NAIM though. I could have been used to power some other device of the same PSU much like Quad did with the II/22 combo and many other vintage designs.

Sounds like a good probable design for the extra plugs. They don't seem to be hurting anything being there. I guess that if I ever do need to power something with a 5 plug DIN, I will have it ready
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,

May 18, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

Sounds like a good probable design for the extra plugs. They don't seem to be hurting anything being there. I guess that if I ever do need to power something with a 5 plug DIN, I will have it ready
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,

The din connectors are probably for a external powersupply power bank that Cary offered as a option,I have seen it offered before on audiogon with the 300sei.

May 19, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #23 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The din connectors are probably for a external powersupply power bank that Cary offered as a option,I have seen it offered before on audiogon with the 300sei.

Wow, now that you mention it I remember seeing those now and then. I have been looking at the 300sei for about 4 years. I think that they had a name or number for it that I cannot remember at this point. That has got to be it, an external power supply feeding directly into the main Caps, good call boze.

Should take it to another level... hmmmmmmm

Cheers,

May 19, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #24 of 64
Quote:

I will be rolling in my WE300B's a little later. I want to make sure everything is working good before risking them...
eek.gif

I have heard enough people's sad tales of those Jensen PIO caps suddenly failing catastrophically, taking out expensive tubes and parts, that I would strongly recommend changing the Jensens before your luck runs out.

Russian teflons are a cheap and effective option IME.

May 19, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #25 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard enough people's sad tales of those Jensen PIO caps suddenly failing catastrophically, taking out expensive tubes and parts, that I would strongly recommend changing the Jensens before your luck runs out.

Russian teflons are a cheap and effective option IME.

Jon L is right, the Jensen PIO dont like excessive heat. With all the heat from the tubes and the high voltages in that small chassis .... I would heed his advice.

May 19, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #26 of 64
noted.... thanks

cheers,

May 19, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #27 of 64
Nice amp man. Don't forget to let us know how does the Cary measures up with the Woo5.

May 19, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #28 of 64
Yep, the Jensens aren't worth it. There are plenty of caps that sound better anyway. The Mundorf Silver oil caps come to mind. I have many Jensens but no longer use them. I should add that Jensen stated a couple of years ago that they solved the problem but frankly, there are better caps in the signal path.

May 19, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #30 of 64
Woo Wa5 (not the LE) does have speaker outs.

WA5

300SEI

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back