Cary 300SEI bias adjustment issue
Jun 17, 2007 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

axky99

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, is there Cary 300 SEI user or tube AMP users experience bias adjust. About a week ago, I turned on the 300 SEI; the tubes light up and LED is on; but when I tried to play music. There is no sound. I used my
the other amp to doble check other components that work fine. What do
you think where the problem is?

Cary technician claimed I may experienced a voltage spike/drop in your AC line. They instruct me to reset and adjust the bias with DC-mA meter. But when I connected the meter to the AMP with bias adjust cable, I can't adjust the bias by the bias pot; and I don't think the meter can read the bias through the bias adjust cable, but the meter works properly.

Please Cary owners and tube AMP user help me. Thank you advance for all your comments and suggestion.

Jun 17, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 10
I don't have any spare tubes for 6SN7; I only have a pair of 300B. But all the tubes are light up.

When I turn it off, the "light" are normally fade off. Everything looks normal; but no sound comes out from the AMP.

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by daleda@sbcglobal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...in my 300SEI a bias resistor had blown - had to send unit back to Cary for repair. Does anything read on your Multimeter (mine read -0-)? Like your situation, all tubes glowed - no sound.

the multimeter read -0- as i set the DC mA range is 250; but if i set it to .05, it read -50- initially and drop down to around -30- after 5 to 10 mins.

how long ago you sent the unit back to Cary? How much they charged for this problem? How can I determine if/when I need to change the the tubes. When the tube is "dead", is it still glowed?

Thank you!!

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 10
I sent the unit back to Cary late December (06) and they kept it for several weeks. Glen was the tech who serviced it. You might call and try to speak with him in person before you pack it up (he also usually answers emails -
Gerald@caryaudio.com). Your situation sure reminds me of mine - you might try replacing tubes but if a tube went bad it would be behaving different ie; static, crackling sound, only one channel working etc etc). You can always have the unit serviced while at Cary - their customer service is first-rate! You'll have to get an RMA# from someone in the front office. Hope this helps - it is very frustrating!

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by daleda@sbcglobal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They charged $180.00 for the repair (included shipping back_I had to pay for the freight there). I think Glen's time is something like $140 and hour (resitor was peanuts).

$140 an hour? Sweet JESUS! I hope my cary never needs to go in. Great info, though.

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 10
In this situation, do you guys think that change tubes will fix the problem? If so, could you suggest any combination of 6sn7.

Thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back