Cartridge/Stylus for Technics MK2
Dec 10, 2009 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

asdfffdsa

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I just purchased a used Technics SL1200 MK2 for $200. A cartridge and stylus did not accompany this purchase--and this is the concern of this thread.

Can anyone recommend a good cartridge/stylus for the MK2? I'm hoping not to spend too much on this purchase, as I also plan on buying one of these (or something similar) and, originally, I had not planned on spending more than ~$200 altogether. Turns out I needed to spend more to get the sound quality I desire.

In addition, I am completely naive to vinyl. If you asked me to correctly set and play a record on a turntable, I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to proceed through with it safely. As such, if you can guide me (through another source, even) through turntable usage in general (cleaning, maintenance, things to watch out for, etc), this would also be of much, much help ...

Thanks in advances for your responses

EDIT:

I've been recommended the DL-160 and AT120E. The AT120E looks like it's more in my price range.

On the other hand, the Shure M97XE is even cheaper $46 (with the application of some coupons). Does anyone have an opinion of the Shure cartridge or any of the others?

EDIT2: In addition, I also need to get a headshell. Should I go with a genuine SL1200 headshell, or something that's cheaper and "just fits"?

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdfffdsa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I just purchased a used Technics SL1200 MK2 for $200. A cartridge and stylus did not accompany this purchase--and this is the concern of this thread.

Can anyone recommend a good cartridge/stylus for the MK2? I'm hoping not to spend too much on this purchase, as I also plan on buying one of these (or something similar) and, originally, I had not planned on spending more than ~$200 altogether. Turns out I needed to spend more to get the sound quality I desire.

In addition, I am completely naive to vinyl. If you asked me to correctly set and play a record on a turntable, I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to proceed through with it safely. As such, if you can guide me (through another source, even) through turntable usage in general (cleaning, maintenance, things to watch out for, etc), this would also be of much, much help ...

Thanks in advances for your responses

EDIT:

I've been recommended the DL-160 and AT120E. The AT120E looks like it's more in my price range.

On the other hand, the Shure M97XE is even cheaper $46 (with the application of some coupons). Does anyone have an opinion of the Shure cartridge or any of the others?

EDIT2: In addition, I also need to get a headshell. Should I go with a genuine SL1200 headshell, or something that's cheaper and "just fits"?

A good choice for you would be a Denon DL-110. This is a high output moving coil cartridge with the right compliance to match the mass of the tonearm of the Technics 1200 MK2.

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdfffdsa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...On the other hand, the Shure M97XE is even cheaper $46 (with the application of some coupons). Does anyone have an opinion of the Shure cartridge or any of the others?

Don't bother with the original Technics headshell as it's nothing special and the fit is universal. The standard Vestax is actually a better one but unfortunately no less expensive.

I'd search for a magnesium headshell on ebay, which is much higher quality, lower mass and and more rigid. ADC was the classic. If you can't find one I think the cheapest would be a Stanton HS-4 which is available in most Pro Music stores and is also variable mass.
Rek-O-Kut sell whats most likely a rebadged Jelco magnesium which looks very well made as well.
Tonearms, headshells, headshell wires, headshell clips

To fit the Shure you should definitely use the the lowest mass possible headshell as it's a better match for the arm. With the stabiliser brush down it will work with a standard Technics type headshell and 47 USD is a total bargain alright.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't bother with the original Technics headshell as it's nothing special and the fit is universal. The standard Vestax is actually a better one but unfortunately no less expensive.

I'd search for a magnesium headshell on ebay, which is much higher quality, lower mass and and more rigid. ADC was the classic. If you can't find one I think the cheapest would be a Stanton HS-4 which is available in most Pro Music stores and is also variable mass.
Rek-O-Kut sell whats most likely a rebadged Jelco magnesium which looks very well made as well.
Tonearms, headshells, headshell wires, headshell clips

To fit the Shure you should definitely use the the lowest mass possible headshell as it's a better match for the arm. With the stabiliser brush down it will work with a standard Technics type headshell and 47 USD is a total bargain alright.

I think recommending a magnesium headshell for MM cartridges is generally a good one but it seems most of these made today are heavier than the stock Technics 7.5 gram headshell. The 6 gram Denon PLC-5 headshell and ADC headshells often get recommended but these seem no longer available.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think recommending a magnesium headshell for MM cartridges is generally a good one but it seems most of these made today are heavier than the stock Technics 7.5 gram headshell. The 6 gram Denon PLC-5 headshell and ADC headshells often get recommended but these seem no longer available.

I have several heavier and lighter examples of the ADC but this only really makes any difference to how you can balance it out with the counterweight and the Technics can take a reasonably wide weight range.

Remember once you zero balance the tonearm and set the down force the arm only 'weighs' between 1-2.5 grams or whatever. What's important to the compliance of the cart is the structural mass and how this reacts to the forces exerted by gravity in motion against the pivot counterweight as it bounces along the grooves.

Magnesium has inherently lower atomic mass than aluminium which is what standard headshells are made of. This explains how a monster arm like the SME V is only 10.5 gms mass so actually nearly 3 gms "lighter" than the Technics SL1200 arm when playing a record even though if you hold them both in your hands when not mounted to a deck the SME is heavier.

Magnesium is also more rigid which is why these headshells are still popular in Japan as they are better for MC carts.

What I'm suggesting is by fitting a magnesium headshell for an MM cart like the Shure M97 you lower the effective mass of the whole arm by a few grams which will help the Shure's springy suspension track better.

With an inexpensive magnesium headshell like the Stanton HS-4 you can also add 4gms of ballast with the included screw in attachment which is going to work better with the Denon MC carts if you can afford one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back