Cartridge recommendations, anyone?
Oct 30, 2005 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mattigol

500+ Head-Fier
I have been looking into TTs lately, with 1k US$ as my limit for a complete system. I am going to buy used, so the TT/arm will probably be a low end Transrotor, Michell, VPI, along these lines. What would be good cartridges for a system at that price point? Any sweet spots in the lines of Grado, Benz, AT or others that have stood the test of time and provide a clear, transparent, silky sound with some PRAT to boot? Just give me some reference points at different price levels, please. I will be using the phono board in my Sugden A21aI.

Thanks for any ideas! M.

Oct 30, 2005 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 9
Which Michell are you looking at? A used current production one or used out of production one like the Synchro?

Oct 30, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 9
well i was hoping to score a 12 year old gyrodec at that price point. was outbidded though. don't mind if I end up with something other than a michell. nottingham seems interesting. transrotor just introduced their "Woody", selling at 1500€ for a complete setup. Maybe in the end it's even going to be a Fat Bob S.

OK these are the options. Lower end / used units by some of the big players in the business. Looking for nice cartridge options in case I end up scoring a turntable + arm by itself. For instance, I have seen used Benz gliders go for about 350 US$. Along these lines.

I also read on other forums that my Sugden phono board isn't cut from the same slab of wood as the A21a itself. So on it goes: Any great phono preamps available in the mid three digits? I researched Lehmann Black Cube, Graham Slee Signature Gram 2, a used EAR 894p maybe...what about White Noise Audio? Or - in all unfairness - made in China components?

Please help me here. Thank you!

Matthias

Oct 31, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 9
I currently use a Dynavector DV20xH high output moving coil. It has an output of 2.8mv an works with MM phono stages. I paid around $500 new and really enjoy this cartridge. Table is VPI Scout & JMW-9 arm.

For preamps, I liked the EAR 834P I had a couple years back a lot. I've also tried Grado PH-1 and it's a great value. Dynavector makes a phono stage that is pretty highly rated and I just may give it a try. I currently use the phono inputs on a restored and modded Fisher 400.

As for tables, I'm partial to VPI. Great construction, sound and customer service.

If you're talking about $1K for table and arm, less cartridge, then try this (no affiliation with the seller):

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1135856823

If you need TT/Arm/Cartridge for $1K, then consider a VPI HW19mk3 with a Rega arm. They come up in that configuration from time to time and are generally at or below $1K fitted with a decent cartridge. I used an MK3 for a couple years with the DynaDV20xH and it sounded terrific. In fact with my system, upgrading to a Scout was not a big difference.

It might just be me but I've not had good luck with the Grado wood body cartridges I've tried. Always seem to have siblance issues.

Oct 31, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 9
Does anyone know anything or has experience with ClearAudio products?
Either their TT or cartridges?

Nov 1, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 9
A Linn Adikt is around $200 or less used. This thing is a PRAT king - a great cart for the money (new $350).

I've heard ClearAudio tables and, at least in the system they were in, I was not impressed. But I've never had one at home and in my own rig, and that is really the only way I could pass serious judgement on them.

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 9
One can't make a blanket recommendation for how good or bad a cart will be outside of the context of arm/cart/table synergy. Basically, your choice of cart should depend how well it will match with the arm you'll be using. Good sound in vinyldom has a lot to do with matching up the major resonant frequencies of the arm with the proper amount of compliance in the cart. High, Medium, and Low compliance carts exist for use with different kinds of arms. For instance, most Rega arms I'm aware of need a medium-compliance cart. Old SME arms like the one I use need a high-compliance cart to sound best. Other modern arms that are very rigid need a low-compliance cart. Try to find the arm manufacturers recommendations for the type of cartridge that will work best before you pick one out.

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 9
If you are going for a budget cart check out the Stanton 681EEE or the Goldring 1042. Remember most head-fiers are in the USA and so the prices are slightly skewed compared to what you get in Europe. Stuff like VPI range costs a lot more in Europe than in the USA whereas stuff like Rega is cheaper over here.
The best MM cart I've heard is the Shure V15VxMR http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/shurev15_e.html which has just been discontinued and is going for silly prices on ebay in the US, you can still get them in Germany though for about 300 Euro. so I would grab one while you can. Shure support replacement stylii for at least 5 years.
Otherwise a low end moving coil like the Sumikos or Ortofons.

As far as phono stages go, if you do decide to go for a separate one the EAR would probably be the closest to the sound of your Sugden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back