Cartridge Recommendation
Feb 7, 2006 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gimmieshelter31

Head-Fier
Recently a coworker gave me a Technics Sl1500 manual direct drive table that had been stored in his garage for about 15 years.
It has a stock tonearm and a Stanton 681eee? cart/stylus.
After cleaning the accumulated dirt and dust off of it, one channel was intermittent turns out the pins on the cartridge were quite dirty.
I haven't listened to vinyl myself in about 10-15 years so I just want to get a taste again before going wild in upgrades.I only have about 35 albums but there is a good store nearby selling new and used vinyl.
Now for the point of the thread. Looking at Shure M97xe,AT440MLand Ortofon OM-10/20.
Also I'm using the Phono input on a HK 3480.Music is Rock'Classic Rock and folk such as Dylan , Neil Young , Joni Mitchell and such. Interested in exploring Miles Davis , Coltrane ,Ramsey Lewis etc.
Recommend one of the above and why please.One other note ,though I listened to records growing up I have little experience with tables and such.thank you.

Oz

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 7
And why not just invest in a replacement needle for the Stanton?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for asking .I don't have a scope but under a 30x jeweler's loupe the stylus or at least the piece that the stylus is on is not just dirty but also corroded and I am concerned that the cart may be less than ideal inside also.

Feb 9, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 7
Hmmmm, let me think - what would I do? Mhmmm, yup - how about emailing Stanton with an inquiry whether there's any corrosive material inside the cartridge body or on the needle unit (needle, cantilever, suspension, case...)? It might be just some sticky grit on the cantilever, which could possibly be removed with some isopropanol - however, the suspension probably isn't good anymore anyway, so if there's at least no corrosive stuff inside the cartridge body, are replacement needle could be well worth it (as the 681eee sure isn't a bad cartridge).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 9, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 7
The Stantons I've seen are pretty low grade. I'd get a new cartridge. I've heard Grados and Technics don't get along well, so look at Audio Technica and Shure

See ya
Steve

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 7
Call Kevin at KABUSA, as he knows more about these cartridges than most folks. He's also a nice guy and willing to talk a bit. I scored a new stylus for my pickering XV-15 from him. He also knows a lot about the Technics TT's

www.kabusa.com

-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back