Cartridge for AR-XA?
Feb 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

nycbone

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new cartridge for my AR-XA (currently using a Grado Blue). I'm considering the Shure M97xE ($70 at J&R). Any thoughts about this choice or recommendations for other, similarly priced cartridges?

Thanks.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 28
You should check the effective mass of the AR tonearm first as the Shure is really happier with lower mass tonearms and I'd guess from the age and look of the XA's arm it might be higher mass and thereofre be happier with a cart like a Denon 110 or if you are strapped for cash a an Audio Technica 95E.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 28
Info on the effective mass of the XA tonearm is not known. Shure carts were the ones most often seen on them though. Trial and error seems to be the most effective way of finding what works best for that tonearm.

I think the M97Xe would work and the stabalizer brush would help if the compliance needs to be a lowered. (although I don't much care for its sound)
I would look into a Stanton 681eee for it.

Did you have any hum problems with the Grado ?

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 28
someone like AR Turntable Vinyl Nirvana Acoustic Research Merrill Thorens For Sale would surely know the mass of the arm?
Given it's a '60s design I'd say it's unlikely to be under about 13gms and more likely 15-16. The Shure carts from that era which are still around today are those used by DJs like the M-44 or SC35 both of which would work well but are a little basic sounding. The M-97 is a '70s high compliance design and even with the stabiliser brush would struggle to track securely.

I've used the V15IV and V on a Rega (13gms) and they work ok with the stabiliser but I think Audio Technica or Denon are a better choice especially given the 2nd hand prices of the Stanton 681s on ebay at the moment which are just plain silly.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you have any hum problems with the Grado ?

The Grado does hum, but it isn't too noticeable a normal listening volumes with speakers. It's a bit more pronounced with headphones.

The cartridge is a bit dull sounding, particularly at higher frequencies.

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
someone like AR Turntable Vinyl Nirvana Acoustic Research Merrill Thorens For Sale would surely know the mass of the arm?
Given it's a '60s design I'd say it's unlikely to be under about 13gms and more likely 15-16. The Shure carts from that era which are still around today are those used by DJs like the M-44 or SC35 both of which would work well but are a little basic sounding. The M-97 is a '70s high compliance design and even with the stabiliser brush would struggle to track securely.

I've used the V15IV and V on a Rega (13gms) and they work ok with the stabiliser but I think Audio Technica or Denon are a better choice especially given the 2nd hand prices of the Stanton 681s on ebay at the moment which are just plain silly.

I have dug and dug for this same info before and have come up empty handed. I'd say your probably right in your guesstimates.

Wow....just looked and yeah the prices have rose a lot (silly indeed) on the Stanton and a Denon 110/160 would be a no brainer.

The 160 is a killer cart for the money.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow....just looked and yeah the prices have rose a lot (silly indeed) on the Stanton and a Denon 110/160 would be a no brainer.

Annoying as I am looking for a 2nd Stanton 681 at the moment and just arn't worth 200 bucks. They are a little cheaper in Europe but way less common unfortunately. Dunno what the verdict on the new 680 series is as KABUAS has these quite cheap? I think they've changed the design though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycbone
The cartridge is a bit dull sounding, particularly at higher frequencies.

That could also be down to the Quad phonostage if it's the stock 1960s one. With this in mind I'd be more tempted to go for an Audio Technica as they usually have a quite forward treble which will be smoothed out nicely by the AR/Quad combo. The AT440MLA is a cracker although the prices also seem to have gone up lately probably due to the fluctuating Yen.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 28
Have you checked on the Vinyl Engine? There are lots of people over there who know a lot about AR tables. I would consider a moving-coil for that arm, but then again, I would move on to some other TT. When I first encountered an AR table, I thought it was way cool, but never owned one. I now spin vinyl on a B&O 4004.
popcorn.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 28
Thanks for the recommendations. Vinyl engine has also been helpful.

Lazarus: can you recommend a specific high-output MC cartridge?

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lazarus: can you recommend a specific high-output MC cartridge?

Nope, I've only owned two MC's, one which I bought, never used, and traded for other gear, and one which I found broken on the floor of the local DAV.
frown.gif

I don't think they are for everyone. BTW, if anyone wants the Audioquest moving-coil, they can have it for the cost of shipping. The needed re-tip, if feasible, will be much more costly.

Mar 7, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #11 of 28
Thanks for the suggestions. Vinyl Nirvana recommends the M97xE and available for $55 from Amazon (free shipping), so I may try that one first.

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions. Vinyl Nirvana recommends the M97xE and available for $55 from Amazon (free shipping), so I may try that one first.

Were Vinyl Nirvana able to tell you the XA tonearms effective mass as a matter of interest?

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 28
My thoughts on the AR-XA tonearm are that it's one step away from a rake... OK, maybe I'm a bit harsh, but precision tonearm it ain't...
I'd consider first a replacement tonearm. I've got more precision and better sound from a cheap Japanese-made Harman Kardon and Technics.
The only thing I regret about the AR-XA is getting rid of it in a hurry (good riddens!) a few years ago. The price went up quite a bit and I'm still trying to figure out what is it that I missed...

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My thoughts on the AR-XA tonearm are that it's one step away from a rake.....
I'd consider first a replacement tonearm.

That would be the best bet for sure but given the OPs budget I guess it's probably a long term consideration.

I havn't heard the original XA but later versions of the AR deck from the '80s came with Linn or similar OEM Japanese tonearms in UK and sounded very impressive as I remember.

The closest you will get today would be a JELCO SA-250 which would be a massive upgrade when funds allow

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My thoughts on the AR-XA tonearm are that it's one step away from a rake... OK, maybe I'm a bit harsh, but precision tonearm it ain't...
I'd consider first a replacement tonearm. I've got more precision and better sound from a cheap Japanese-made Harman Kardon and Technics.
The only thing I regret about the AR-XA is getting rid of it in a hurry (good riddens!) a few years ago. The price went up quite a bit and I'm still trying to figure out what is it that I missed...

It developed a cult following because it was a simple, suspended sub-chassis, belt drive turntable with a hint of audiophile character. It looked somewhat like the audiophile European turntables that were the rage, but it was American made, readily available used and relatively cheap. It was easy to modify (some as simple as changing the mat), which actually improved the sound quite a bit. For a suspended table it was not particularly fussy as to location and was fairly immune to vibration and feedback. This didn't make it a giant killer, but it did have positives.

I also agree that, unfortunately, nothing can help the tonearm.
You would have to make a custom arm board, but you could also mount a Rega RB250 to it. If you google, there's lots of info on mods for the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back