Carlo Maria Giulini-The Chicago Recordings
Dec 29, 2005 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SoundsGood

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody here own this 4-CD set? I got it for Christmas and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The Bruckner 9 is wonderful, Brahms 4 is as well. I haven't really gotten a close listen to the other works yet.

I'm wondering if anyone else owns this and also hears quite a bit of distortion and minor drop outs in the Brahms 4 and Mahler 1 recordings? It's actually quite distracting in the Brahms 4 with headphones on. The Mahler wasn't so bad, but noticeable. The Bruckner didn't have these problems that I noticed. Perhaps this is just faulty recording by EMI in the 70s?

Nevertheless, a fully recommendable set.

Dec 29, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 3
Those recordings were never known for their high quality. The sound was muffled and congested. The performances are beyond reproach, but alas, the tapes probably have deteriorated badly. DG got a much better sound quality with their Guilini/Chicago recordings. The Mahler 9th is still one of the greats. EMI certainly could make some great recordings back then (still do), but it never happened in Chicago.

Dec 31, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 3
I've got Giulini's Bruckner on a 1980s Cd. It sounds great, better to me (more natural) than the later DG I also own. I've got some Beethoven by him on another disc. I can't say I've listened to them strictly for sound quality but so far, I'm not distracted like I am with some others.

I agree, he's a great conductor. I have friends who play classically here in Chicago who speak with Giulini with love and respect - very differently than of some other conductors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back