Careful of PayPal frauds!
Jan 11, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by mxs1030
http://netsquirrel.com/spoof/

oops, it appears the site itself is a spoof ( for your safety )

ugh... this really is a nasty bug

Thanks mxs1030. Now I finally understand how the Citibank scam worked. I knew it was a scam from the unsolicited request for my account info, plus the poor grammar and spelling on the site, but the address bar said 'citibank.com' and I had no idea what was going on.

I got that scam email several months ago. Nothing has been done yet to fix IE. Apparently Microsoft thinks it's just fine to do nothing about these kinds of issues for months on end. As a result of their sitting on their butts, who knows how many people have been successfully scammed? Thanks for nothing, Microsoft!

Jan 11, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #17 of 22
besides PayPal, EBay and Citicorp, I was hit by BestBuy. I have also heard of some local banks being scammed. I wouldn't be surprised if the Chase, Manufacturers', et. al. are being hit with scams. I would also expect Sears, CircuitCity, your gas and tire cards, and any and every credit card being attacked.

I think it's the Russian Mafia.

I use IE only for updates. Otherwise it is Mozilla and Firebird/Thunderbird. Thunderbird is the email client, whereas Mozilla has the email client built in, like Netscape. The last thing I want is my browser accessing my address book. Which is why I keep Outlook Express unconfigured. If anyone tries to access it over the next a pop up window comes up.

So what did this idiot do? he tried OE and it blew up in his face.

Jan 11, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by downingp
I received the same email from paypal

Got the same one a while back. I called Paypal an they cofirmed it was scam.

Jan 11, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 22
haha my paypal account doesn't even have a Credit Card attached to it anymore....

The one i used expired a few months ago, so theres no credit card attached to my account. I can still send and recieve money...just not with a credit card, which is fine with me...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #22 of 22
Similar emails are being sent out that look like they come from eBay, asking for updated account info. If one clicks on the embedded link in the email, enters the account info, it goes right into the hands of the crook. Believe me, I fell for it with eBay. I hadn't used eBay in some time, and the email looked just like it was from eBay, but it wasn't. Luckily, eBay was on top of things, closed my account, and helped me set up a new one, and the tech even spent about 15 minutes explaining this whole scam to me, and how to protect myself in the future. Very educational, and a good lesson on becoming to complacent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back