Career Conundrum
Jul 30, 2007 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HiFiRE

100+ Head-Fier
A couple years ago I finished my Computer Science Degree with a less than stellar GPA. I seldom went to class and it showed in my grades. Towards the end of my degree I started working in web development at a small company. I racked up a total of about 2 years experience before I started to lose interest in the work. Eventually work ran dry and I took an opportunity teaching English in Korea. That year long holiday is over and I'm back home with choices to make.

I've been home 5 weeks and had one job interview. They didn't hire me. Since then I haven't applied for other jobs. I have an opportunity to work with the same small company again just so I can get some more recent experience.

The problem is I don't want to write financial software or make websites. Those seem to be the primary areas where I could find work with my existing experience. Truth be told I don't know what I want to do, only what I don't want to do.

These are my options:
1. Get a CS job and stick with it until I get promoted to a manager position and hope that makes me happy.
2. Go back to school and take something that a CS degree would complement.
3. Start a metal band and blow out my voice.

Option 2 particularly tickles my fancy. What are some fields that a computer science degree would compliment?

Other input is appreciated.

Jul 30, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 10
How about:

4) Get a CS job that pays the rent until you figure out what you want to do.

I think CS could complement a huge number of fields. But I wouldn't bother getting another degree unless you're SURE it's what you want to do. It could just be a huge waste of time and money.

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 10
There's nothing wrong with going back to school after working for a while, like you've done. I went back to law school and am really enjoying it. Of course I'm biased, but you should consider law. There is a decent amount of intellectual property-related work for people with technical backgrounds.

In some ways you've painted yourself into a corner with your poor undergraduate grades, though. It will be hard to get into a good graduate program in some fields like bioinformatics, etc. unless you really put in the legwork and start networking with professors who might be able to be your advisors. Programs that have admissions exams, like law (LSAT), medicine (MCAT), and business (GMAT) might help you overcome that hurdle, as long as you do very well on them. (I don't consider the GRE to be an admissions exam; it's almost useless for any real graduate program and not typically a big factor in admissions.) Something to think about anyway. MBA programs are typically the most lenient of all graduate programs in terms of grades; recommendations and experience are more important.

Even if you're only leaning in one direction right now and can't make up your mind, you really need to get moving now. For instance, if you want to apply to law, you'll want to write the end-of-September LSAT exam, which means registering for it in the next couple of weeks. Same with any program. Application deadlines are usually November and later, but it can take a lot of time to assemble recommendation letters and fill out applications. Don't delay, you don't want to miss this year's application cycle and have to wait two years to begin whatever program you're interested in.

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The problem is I don't want to write financial software

These are my options:

2. Go back to school and take something that a CS degree would complement.

Option 2 particularly tickles my fancy. What are some fields that a computer science degree would compliment?

Other input is appreciated.

If you can make the jump fast enough, before the high tide is over, and you are willing to change your mind about the financial software bit, then mathematical finance might be something to look into.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 10
it's all networking once you start your career anyways.

find a position writing accounting software in a large enough firm and doors will open to new opportunities if you present yourself as willing and able to try new challenges. I'd hold off going back to school until you're really sure about the new career path.

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 10
An MBA might be a good option. If you score well on the GMAT, your international work experience will definitely be a plus and should soften the blow of poor undergrad grades on your application.

With an MBA and a CS degree you should have many options available to you.

Jul 31, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNESCO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's all networking once you start your career anyways.

find a position writing accounting software in a large enough firm and doors will open to new opportunities if you present yourself as willing and able to try new challenges. I'd hold off going back to school until you're really sure about the new career path.

I agree. Get your foot back in the door, even if it's doing something you don't really like. If you work hard and shine you'll go places. Good staff are very rare these days!

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 10
Sounds like you don't want to be doing what your doing. What do you want to do?

I've been in various computer fields for over 20 years until I finally admitted to myself that I want to be a writer. I turned that into something to write about.
smily_headphones1.gif

You cannot be truly happy at work unless you do what you love. The average person spends more time at work than at home. Do the math.

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back